The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

According to Cincinnati Library and Museum:  "During the first forty years after its founding, Cincinnati experienced spectacular growth. By 1820, citizens, extremely proud of their city, were referring to it as The Queen City or The Queen of the West. On May 4, 1819."

Hence, you have things like Queen City Riverboats based there.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Isn't US 27 interstate-quality now as far north as Soddy Daisy?  Actually, Hwy 111 which splits off at Soddy Daisy is interstate quality all the way to Dunlap. 

It has full access control and was probably designed to the same standards as Interstate highways. But not all freeways are or have to be Interstate highways; US Numbered Highways, state routes, and local roads are commonly freeways as well. In Nashville, some examples are Ellington Parkway (US Route 31E), Briley Parkway (State Route 155), Vietnam Veterans Parkway (State Route 386), etc. Whether a highway gets added to the Interstate highway system, US Numbered Highway system, or state, county, or local systems depends more on its relevance to national, regional, or local networks (and who's paying for it) more than its functional classification.

19 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I remember seeing a map somewhere a while ago that showed I-59 extending from Chattanooga to Cookeville using the roads that are now US 27/Hwy 111.  While I don't think for a minute that the road between Cookeville and Chattanooga needs to be interstate grade, I'm curious if that's still the plan.  (That's actually one of my favorite drives; it's absolutely beautiful and has almost zero traffic, at least between Sparta and Dunlap.)

I think that was a proposal from an outside group, not a plan by TDOT or the feds. I could see an I-59 extension if it went all the way to Lexington or Louisville, not so much when it dead-ends in Sparta or even if it terminates at I-40. (In fact, if it did link up with either I-65 or I-75 in Kentucky it would make a really good alternate route for either. Call your Congressman! Tell them a random stranger on the Internet can make this happen for a reasonable fee!)

20 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Anyway, if TDOT still refers to that road as I-124, couldn't it be "I-124" as far north as Soddy Daisy (or even Dunlap)?

Again I think the issue is that arbitrarily changing the designation of the roadway negates the benefits of having a route signed as an Interstate highway. Even though it's numbered as a spur, it still has to go somewhere. With apologies to Soddian-Daisites or whatever, you don't want to dump a bunch of people off of an Interstate unless there is a significant destination (populated area, military base, etc.) at the terminus.

TDOT and the feds kind of already went through this when they overlaid Interstate 26 on US Route 23. I-26 (not even a spur! A mainline Interstate!) drops off in the middle of Kingsport and if you don't pay enough attention to the signage you end up at the Food City in Weber, Virginia wondering what this has to do with driving to Columbus.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tragenvol said:

I believe I've read that the "Queen City" moniker was given to a particular state's "second city." Examples are Buffalo to NYC, Cincy to Columbus or Cleveland, Charlotte to Raleigh, and Clarksville to Nashville (?).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"Second city"? Who wants to volunteer to tell Memphis their new nickname?!?!

• Like 4

This isn't really related to Nashville but more public transit in general, today I was on the tube (I live in London) and it suddenly stopped because two stations down from where I was a bomb exploded in a train. Luckily no one died but people were injured, and I now worry with this instance many Nashville people will vote against Megan Barry's transit referendum for safety reasons along with growth concerns. It sounds silly and stupid, but trust me there are enough people in Nashville that I have seen through Facebook and other means who may think this way, especially with all the safety concerns on public transit where I currently live. Sorry if this is off topic but its just a thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

This isn't really related to Nashville but more public transit in general, today I was on the tube (I live in London) and it suddenly stopped because two stations down from where I was a bomb exploded in a train. Luckily no one died but people were injured, and I now worry with this instance many Nashville people will vote against Megan Barry's transit referendum for safety reasons along with growth concerns. It sounds silly and stupid, but trust me there are enough people in Nashville that I have seen through Facebook and other means who may think this way, especially with all the safety concerns on public transit where I currently live. Sorry if this is off topic but its just a thought. 

That's one of the reasons people don't want to give up cars. From offensive  (stinky/loud/etc) people to theft to safety (wreck/shooting/terrorist/etc)

I guess this is related to the thread, but what is going on with I65 construction? Why exactly did they repave the interstate in such a weird fashion? They did like lane 4 first, then lane 2, 3,1, etc. I would have thought it would have been more efficient to move inward or outward. Now they are repaving it again, or at least putting another layer on. What is the point of cutting up a layer, then putting a layer down in an odd way, and then adding another on top of that? I don't think I have ever seen it handled that way before.

11 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I'll vote against it for a much different reason: we don't need to be jacking up taxes to pay for a boondoggle. But, yes, terrorism is a serious concern.

A new coalition is being formed to counter some of the movement on the Transit Referendum. It is called People’s Alliance for Transit, Housing and Employment (also called PATHE) —  and will launch Sunday with events scheduled throughout the first half of the week, including a march from East Nashville to City Hall.

The group's mission is to make sure any funding plan includes specific provisions to insure affordable housing along transit lines — such as eminent domain requirements that prohibit the city from selling land along routes to private developers to then develop and sell at market rate, according to Austin Sauerbrei, an organizer with Nashville tenant organizing group Homes For All Nashville — one of the coalition's founding organizations.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/15/coalition-forms-to-push-back-against-mayor-barrys.html

On 9/15/2017 at 9:37 PM, KJHburg said:

What is the proposed financing source for your plan?

No specifics have been announced yet, but it will come from a combination of several sources including: property tax, sales tax, hotel tax and wheel tax. There is an online tool available that lets you set tax rates and calcs the resulting revenue. See: https://public.tableau.com/profile/boyd.center.for.business.and.economic.research#!/vizhome/NashvilleChamber-CountyRevenueForecastModel/Forecast

Sales taxes the city of Nashville can go up an additional 0.5%.  The state sales tax is 7% and the local option is anything up to a maximum of 2.75%.  That will likely not be an option for Williamson County, however.  WilCo is in the process of raising the sales tax to the max 9.75% (7% state, 2.25% county, 0.5% city) to fund schools.   That leaves a property tax increase as the only broad-based, large scale funding source for WilCo, which is really doubtful to pass for the degree of service I expect to see there. 

On 9/16/2017 at 8:44 AM, markhollin said:

A new coalition is being formed to counter some of the movement on the Transit Referendum. It is called People’s Alliance for Transit, Housing and Employment (also called PATHE) —  and will launch Sunday with events scheduled throughout the first half of the week, including a march from East Nashville to City Hall.

The group's mission is to make sure any funding plan includes specific provisions to insure affordable housing along transit lines — such as eminent domain requirements that prohibit the city from selling land along routes to private developers to then develop and sell at market rate, according to Austin Sauerbrei, an organizer with Nashville tenant organizing group Homes For All Nashville — one of the coalition's founding organizations.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/15/coalition-forms-to-push-back-against-mayor-barrys.html

What is PATHE's position on eminent domain ? They want more of it ?

I'm very happy nashville is "ride-sharing app" friendly (such as uber and lyft) because where I live sure isn't :/ 

london outlawed uber recently and I can tell you even with transport for london being as good as it is, it doesn't look good in the international scheme of things. However, Nashville is very uber friendly which is a plus in all aspects, even in mass transportation terms.

• Like 4