The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ CSX are are an uncooperative, unyielding, selfish group of SOB's.  There.  I said it.  They simply do NOT want to assist with any sort of plan to help with transit rail in any way, shape , or form because they don't HAVE to according to all the rules granted them when everything got grandfathered regarding right of way, etc. over a century ago.    

I agree with you, but I was not saying to utilize CSX's tracks, just build next to where they are downtown. 

Either way, I know it's not going to happen so we can all move on haha

^ Great post. I think most people’s desire to see trains running in from the suburbs is entirely traffic-related, not really development or convenience related. Whether people actually use a mass commuter rail system from the suburbs remains to be seen, though. 

"Signifcant progress" in the scoring system put together by Moving Forward, a group backed by the Chamber of Commerce regarding transit solutions for Nashville:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/01/23/significant-progress-where-nashvilles-transit.html

See the report here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nashvillechamber.com/PDFs/2018_MovingForward_Scorecard.pdf

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Mayor Megan Barry’s mass-transit referendum is one step away from appearing on the May 1 ballot. Metro Council voted 30-6 Tuesday to advance the proposal; a third and final vote is still required.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/01/24/barry-s-transit-referendum-approved-by-council.html

And shockingly enough the Koch brothers are coming in hard against this. Big oil does not like the thought of you using their product less. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, samsonh said:

And shockingly enough the Koch brothers are coming in hard against this. Big oil does not like the thought of you using their product less. 

Come on, the Koch Brothers are 6 decade libertarians ... not hit men from big oil starring in a Bond film. They disagree with wasteful spending and have used their resources to lobby to support said philosophy....as we all do. The mania from the left to malign such actions is comical....thus the tounge-in-cheek Zanies reference....

5 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Come on, the Koch Brothers are 6 decade libertarians ... not hit men from big oil starring in a Bond film. They disagree with wasteful spending and have used their resources to lobby to support said philosophy....as we all do. The mania from the left to malign such actions is comical....thus the tounge-in-cheek Zanies reference....

And the good people at AirBnB and their lobbyists are probably just property rights activists who want to ensure the freedom of Tennessean home owners to do with their property as they see fit.  I'm sure it's completely unrelated that the political philosophies they spend money supporting happen to directly relate to their financial interests.

• Like 4