The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

3 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

You guys hear Trump's speech today? Said something like 1-1.7 trillion in new infrastructure spending. Thats a GOOD SIGN for federal funding of our transit system right?

A great sign, if he can get congress to play ball. That was part of his campaign pitch, increased funding for infrastructure building and repair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

I-440 Reconstruction Project Update

Construction expected to start this summer and possibly last 3 years

Surface will be converted to asphalt and widened to 3 lanes in each direction throughout the entire length

Thank goodness! The sensation I get when I drive on 440 feels like it's ripping my tires to shreds.

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 2

Anyone notice that instead of replacing any damaged bricks in that cool cobblestone / brick layout on the Music Row Roundabout...they just paved over it?!  So now, about a ¼ of the roundabout is asphalt with the remainder being cobblestone.  PLEASE tell me they'll re-do the cobblestone once they install the fountains?

12 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

You guys hear Trump's speech today? Said something like 1-1.7 trillion in new infrastructure spending. Thats a GOOD SIGN for federal funding of our transit system right?

Doubtful much comes of this. They want to leverage private money for the vast majority of this spending. There really is no “plan” here. Hopefully I’m wrong, as this country needs it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Thank goodness! The sensation I get when I drive on 440 feels like it's ripping my tires to shreds.

Yesterday I was moving slowly in traffic on I-440 and it was ridiculously bumpy. I was being jostled around the car. Has it gotten worse lately?? Or have I just never noticed because I'm usually driving fast...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Yesterday I was moving slowly in traffic on I-440 and it was ridiculously bumpy. I was being jostled around the car. Has it gotten worse lately?? Or have I just never noticed because I'm usually driving fast...

It’s always bad but I would say the third-worldliness of it peaks after a freeze like we had last week. 

• Haha 1

From Curbed - via Flipboard's Urban Design magazine:

"Why It's So Expensive To Build Urban Rail In The U.S."

- a good, well researched article with some startling insights -

Just hope Nashville's heads of Transportation & Sustainability are reading this stuff...

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/01/why-its-so-expensive-to-build-urban-rail-in-the-us/551408/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flatrock said:

From Curbed - via Flipboard's Urban Design magazine:

"Why It's So Expensive To Build Urban Rail In The U.S."

- a good, well researched article with some startling insights -

Just hope Nashville's heads of Transportation & Sustainability are reading this stuff...

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/01/why-its-so-expensive-to-build-urban-rail-in-the-us/551408/

That was an interesting article. There is no question we need a transit system and I like the one proposed. What I took from the article is that project management plays a huge role when it comes to cost.

• Like 3

After the transit agency fired the contractor and hired a new general manager to oversee the project, it reduced the budget to $2.3 billion from a previous $3 billion. Of the $2.3 billion price tag, only $1.1 billion is for actual construction, whereas much of the rest is sunk cost is due to the botched earlier version of the extension.”

So going bedrock cheap from the beginning isn’t always the best bet?? Craziness