The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

My understanding is the $9B number comes from the UP meet-up in Jan. where the MTA rep discussed the subject.  And the spread between the $5.4B and $9B number is for operational costs, but only accounts up until 2032 or similar? (I think that is what she said...definitely not ongoing past a relatively near timeframe).

The only question in my mind is what is the cost of implementing the mass transit plan (all in) being voted upon. That cost is $9B. If Metro is expecting use fees (ha) to cover the $3.6B operational cost then I would agree with you on the $5.4B costs...have they made that assertion?

46 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

@nashville_bound Where does the 9 billion dollar number come from that you keep quoting? 

The only thing I read is that, the $9 billion comes from counting maintenance for the life of a system all at once.

The cumulative forecast is spelled out in the mayor’s Transit Improvement Program report released last month.

Barry is seeking Metro Council approval in the coming weeks to hold a public referendum on four tax increases — including a hike on the sales tax — in May to create a dedicated funding source to help pay for the system. The plan's highlights include light rail on five major corridors and a tunnel beneath downtown. 

The breakdown on spending for the transit plan, dubbed Let's Move Nashville, from 2018 to 2032 is projected to be:
  • $5.4 billion for light rail on five corridors, the downtown tunnel and other related costs (61.2 percent)
  • $1.1 billion for enhancements to the city’s current bus system (12.8 percent)
  • $1.2 billion for interest, principal repayment on debt and financing costs (13.2 percent)
  • $934 million for operating and maintenance (10.4 percent)
  • $211 million for reserves (2.4 percent)

The report also says a number of other factors could increase the cost of the transit plan over time, including inflation.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/04/mayor-barrys-transit-plan-balloons-9-b-nearly-double-construction-price-tag-when-totaling-other-cost/1004229001/

• Like 3

Saw a couple pro-transit signs in Forrest Hills earlier. Interesting area for support, since I don’t think they’ll see much impact there. Good to see it though. 

3 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Ok, I just need confirmation that this isn't going to cost me one penny since I don't plan on using it.

The only impact you’ll see is a miniscule sales tax increase. Shouldn’t be more than 4 or 5 dollars with a $500 purchase. 

• Like 2

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/02/15/tennessee-state-route-109-wilson-county-construction/338913002/

$51 million going to waste here.  When did we get to vote on this?  I don't want it, I don't want to pay for it and I will never use it.  Funnel this money back into Nashville where it came from and use it for our transit needs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/02/15/tennessee-state-route-109-wilson-county-construction/338913002/

$51 million going to waste here.  When did we get to vote on this?  I don't want it, I don't want to pay for it and I will never use it.  Funnel this money back into Nashville where it came from and use it for our transit needs.

The good thing about taxes is that they are sometimes used for things that don't even affect you, but improve the lives of so many others. Being a downtown Nashville resident, but born and raised in Wilson County, I can say that this is AMAZING that this is finally happening, as this is one of the worst roads I've ever encountered. 

Luckily, much-needed improvements to Wilson County aren't decided by voters from Nashville. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

If summer county would’ve had a vote on 109 being widened it would’ve passed very easily. It has been needed for at least 20 years and will be to small when it’s completed. It also benefits Nashville residents as it is a heavily used bypass that many use to avoid Nashville traffic.  Remember this is our part of the 840 loop. 

I’m sure plenty of the tax money for this is coming from the 160,000 plus residents in sumner county.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buildtall said:

If summer county would’ve had a vote on 109 being widened it would’ve passed very easily. It has been needed for at least 20 years and will be to small when it’s completed. It also benefits Nashville residents as it is a heavily used bypass that many use to avoid Nashville traffic.  Remember this is our part of the 840 loop. 

I’m sure plenty of the tax money for this is coming from the 160,000 plus residents in sumner county.  

...and the 140,000 residents in Wilson County (since most of this widening project is taking place in Wilson County).

I can vouch for how much this is needed. I drive that route several times a year and I can tell you the stretch from I-40 to the river sucks. It's 2-lane and has virtually no turn lanes. It has been piecemeal maintained for the past twenty years. 

The stretch from Gallatin to Portland in Sumner is complete, and it's a nice divided (not limited access) four-lane. Planning is underway  with construction to begin soon on the leg from the bypass around Portland to the northwest to a new exit underway at I-65 just south of the Ky line. The stretch south of Gallatin to the river is in constant construction, but it was a mess the last time I drove through there. Glad to learn the Wilson County leg is now getting done. When you get to Lebanon (Hwy 70) south to I-40 and continued south to I-840 it's very nice. It's like the stretch north of Gallatin. 

That said, I read the description of the Wilson Co. stretch and did not see that it will be a divided roadway. Believe they said median with turn lanes (that may mean divided). 

• Like 1

A couple thoughts after skimming:

They contradict themselves on the percentage of the $9 billion.  In one section they say that 87% of that money will go to light rail and in another section they say that 90% will go to light rail.  Well, which is it?

One of their talking points is that it needs to be a regional system, not just a city transit plan.  However, another talking point involves the inclusion of the RTA which they say created the plan and has membership from ex-mayors from counties outside of Davidson.  Wouldn't their inclusion be a path to a regional plan because they would be stakeholders?  Not to mention that Davidson can't make the counties do anything.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Beaman is getting out of his notax4tracks role as treasurer because he is a car dealer and his connections to the Koch brothers are hurting their message. Still going to raise money for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Beaman is getting out of his notax4tracks role as treasurer because he is a car dealer and his connections to the Koch brothers are hurting their message. Still going to raise money for them.

We need an emoji on here for violently hurling.

• Like 1

I can't believe how selfish some people are about this transportation plan.  I overheard  one lady, who is already in her sixties, say she is voting against it. I just told her flat out honey this transportation plan isn't for you sweetie.  It's for future generations. Her only gripe was about how will it benefit her. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I can't believe how selfish some people are about this transportation plan.  I overheard  one lady, who is already in her sixties, say she is voting against it. I just told her flat out honey this transportation plan isn't for you sweetie.  It's for future generations. Her only gripe was about how will it benefit her. 

I'll bet she found your winsome approach endearing and probably came over to your side.

2 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Wait.    Didn't you just say the other day that you object because it will raise your taxes and you will never use it?      Sounds like you've come around, Park Ave.