The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

27 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think this transit system plan is for the next 5, 10, 15 years. Sure what we have now might be adequate with a few upgrades but it's not going to take Nashville to the next level of mobility and density. 

The problem with the May 1 plan is that there is no "next level" in terms of mobility. Look at the route map - there is no meaningful expansion of the existing MTA route network, and large swathes of the city are still unserved or underserved by transit: Antioch, Woodbine, parts of East and North Nashville. Functionally speaking, and that is the key here, this plan offers no advantage over an upgraded and expanded bus network in terms of moving our existing population or a future larger population around the city. For example, if you want to get from Lockeland Springs to Green Hills, you're still going to have to connect at a single point downtown. The same is true of many other route pairings. I think the single biggest failure of this plan is that it fails to address crosstown travel. Compare, for example, London's bus map. London has a hybrid hub-and-spoke  and grid road system, yet its bus system is designed to facilitate crosstown travel relatively easily across multiple connection points. 

tumblr_lz440dRKRW1r54c4oo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if we will get tons of trash along the light rail lines like we have along our roadways so everyone will still know they are still in Trashville.  I wish the city and state would do something to stop all the litter along our roads. If the city would start writing littering tickets they could pay for the transit plan.    

Sorry I had to get that off my chest.   I drive around Davidson county for my job every day and just get tired of all the garbage. I can only imagine what tourist think about how nasty it is here. Wasn’t sure where to post this but since it is transportation related I put it here.

Our taxi drivers are terrible drivers can you imagine them flying

Edited by Buildtall

On 3/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, BolaKnows said:

I would love an outer ring circular route that runs in both directions.  Berlin is a massive city, space wise, but the ring train route seems immensely useful for getting around the city without having to go to a central station and back out.   I guess that's a battle/proposal for a future plan or extension though.  

Strecke der Berliner Ringbahn

I get that it would be a ton of money, but would be great if they did some sort of BRT/LRT loop that connected the farthest out stations for BRT/LRT to each other.  I think it would essentially mirror OHB.  And if we are living in my dream world, let's throw a inner loop trolley line in as wellthat mirrors Wedgewood.

I would think that would make a regional transit system much more attractive and effective as well.  Someone coming from Franklin on rail could connect at a I65/OHB station and go to the airport or West Nashville and not need to connect at downtown tunnel.

A guy can dream.

• Like 2

I said after the AMP failed that the city should have rerouted an alternate plan around West End that would completely bypass Beaman's car lots and the one across the street and in time it would have made them comparably less valuable than property along the routes. This plan does some of that by avoiding West End. I suggested Hayes street at the time up to 21st and then thru Music Row to Division. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Meanwhile in Charlotte today we opened our latest 9 mile stretch of light rail.  Here is a summary article talking about development at each of the stations ending at the Univ. of NC at Charlotte. 

https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/news/construction-development/development-popping-up-like-weeds-along-charlottes-light-rail-opening-this-week-85974  We have 18 miles from southwest Charlotte through downtown to northeast Charlotte and the campus.  

I am intensely jealous.

• Like 2