The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

3 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^ ha we agree! I am sure you will support my claim to recapture my property taxes and income taxes that are being redistributed! Let's start a petition.

I'm all for telling the rest of the state to fudge off.  My biggest issue are the mouthbreathing bumpkins telling Nashville what to do.  I say we let their infrastructure crumble.

^^ saw the video this morning. I think this is going to set autonomous vehicles being used by the masses back several years. One the equipment proved faulty by not registering the pedestrian and two the "safety" operator was visibly distracted and miss seeing the pedestrian as well. Human nature will distract safety operators 10x more often when driving is autonomous. At least now when something happens there is a clear culprit in human error.

The driver kept looking down, I wonder if they were looking at the 'car view'. I hope they release what the car was seeing. If they were smart it would have been research/dissected and released all at once. This leaking out a bit at a time is silly and causes all of us to speculate.

• Like 2

I agree the self driving cars, flying car debate that some of the opponents of mass transit are using is a mute point. This does set the self driving car back a few years. It will only be a matter of time when one of the large self driving semi's that are being tested kill a dozen people and that will be put on hold for a while too. 

Remember this technology is hackable and can be used to cause mass mayhem and disaster by a determined group. We are putting too much trust in tech.

• Like 3

Current car tech is hackable also, so I'm not sure that won't ever be a problem we have to worry about. 

Leave it to Uber to be the first company for this to happen to. They should have used the Tesla example of openness/honesty, when that car caught on fire after the driver hit a piece of road debris. 

22 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

programmed to make split decisions that prioritize the lives of its own passengers over pedestrians/passengers in other cars

This has been one of my (many) concerns about AVs. How do you program a computer to act in a moral way? And able to make that morality judgement in a split second?

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Regan is in hell

10 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I am confident President Regan is not one of them.

Reagan, not Regan. Also, hell isn't real.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

This has been one of my (many) concerns about AVs. How do you program a computer to act in a moral way? And able to make that morality judgement in a split second?

Tell that to Megan Berry.

25 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Well the split second isn't the problem, the onboard computer would only be slowed down by the sensors collecting the data. Computers are great at making decisions quickly. But we have to tell them WHAT decisions to make quickly. 

http://moralmachine.mit.edu

Here is a great little thought game from MIT. It's just a thought game and some of the choices are incredibly hard to make.

:tw_grimace:

• Like 1

In traffic engineering we used the PIEV factor in our calculations. It is an acronym for time lost in responding to a situation due to the human delay in Perceiving a situation, the Intellect required to ascertain what is going on and how it affects you, and Emotion which describes the instant you decide what and how to respond and Volition which is the action you take (hit the brakes) to respond.

All of these human factors activities have been measured and assessed as to take place in one second. This one second of time was applied to many equations involving signal timing and stopping sight distance.

I would suspect any algorithm used to respond to an unusual roadway event may be a little shaky with regard to the intellect and emotion parts of the equation. The human brain, developed over two million years to respond to a crisis , is still the best computer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Human nature will distract safety operators 10x more often when driving is autonomous.

I think this is a big problem for any semi-autonomous system.  The backup person won't be as focused because he or she isn't doing much.  Then, suddenly, that person has to notice that his or her input is needed and intervene.  I have read that this is a problem for pilots in planes too.  It's a hard problem to get someone to go from oversight mode straight into emergency response mode.

• Like 3

Thank you for the correction. In case anyone was confused by my typo (maybe they did not read the post above mine or have not discerned my cryptic avatar) I was referring to our 40th President.

12 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

They are certainly are interesting looking, gotta love the "pill bag" reference lol.

The biggest thing that stand out to me is the fact that these are being used as infill to a much larger network,  filling in holes. They are also running on a very determined route that makes predictability much easier. It's progress to reality

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

They are certainly are interesting looking, gotta love the "pill bag" reference lol.

The biggest thing that stand out to me is the fact that these are being used as infill to a much larger network,  filling in holes. They are also running on a very determined route that makes predictability much easier. It's progress to reality

Bingo.  Love the way they have no sharp edges.  Running slow on limited pre-mapped routes, I can see these circuiting downtown/midtown, or more interestingly, as a "last-mile" solution for neighborhoods around a light rail stop, shuttling people from home to train and back in something like a bike lane.   During non-peak hours they could give old people like me a ride to the nearby grocery store.  Supplementing cross-town travel by bus/rail.  Seems much more incremental and realistic than a ton of computer-guided steel whooshing down the pike at 50 MPH amid turning cars and pedestrians.

• Like 4