The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 minute ago, grilled_cheese said:

I only have a problem with them when they interfere in Nashville politics.  I really wish one of the city reps would put forth legislation that disrupts them specifically or if we could veto something of theirs.  

Regardless, their way of life is about to be over anyway.  Gone are the days of being able to walk out of HS into a manufacturing job and being able to support a family.  Their run will be over soon.

They have a right to elect whoever they want for state legislature. About your second point, that's why we have TN Promise. Associate's degree = more skilled labor force = more companies willing to move to Tennessee.  

• Like 2

^^ I agree with you in principle, but reality is a b*tch, and there is no way to enforce such a policy/law/statute (what have you) in all but a very small fraction of big ticket violations. Thus, behavioral economics come into play and policy professionals better damn well factor in leakage when a high sales tax state is bordered by 7 states (4 of which have 20%-30% lower sales taxes) and in the case of groceries in KY the Sales Taxes are 0%. 

BNA - You posted - "So the strongest argument against the transit plan is 'it sucks that things cost money!'  I'd say that bodes pretty well for the transit plan if that is the case! "

Your original response was ambiguous and I took your statement to say, you think spending money was a big reason to support transit (which I hope we can both agree it is not).

Thus my response - "BNA- How does the requirement to spend even more taxpayers' funds equate to a reason to support Transit?"

So moot.

4 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^^ I agree with you in principle, but reality is a b*tch, and there is no way to enforce such a policy/law/statute (what have you) in all but a very small fraction of big ticket violations. Thus, behavioral economics come into play and policy professionals better damn well factor in leakage when a high sales tax state is bordered by 7 states (4 of which have 20%-30% lower sales taxes) and in the case of groceries in KY the Sales Taxes are 0%. 

The Pennsylvania State Police sets up at the state line, usually with Delaware, in visual range of liquor shops and electronics stores to watch people with Pennsylvania tags cross the state line, go in, buy something, and come back across. They then pull them over, use probable cause to inspect the car, and write tickets for tax evasion/liquor importation.

Don't see why the THP can't do the same...

^ Do you have a news article to reference? I am not doubting your facts, but would like to read about how the enforcement works in PA....my birth state. 

It seems as if any charges are easily disputable. For instance, it is not illegal to cross state borders to buy goods, any state trying to prevent such behavior runs afoul of federal law and interstate commerce. What the state may require is a use tax be paid on goods transported back into the state and even then only the difference between the taxes paid (if any) and the taxes owed. This process is paperwork completed sometime after the fact and not not required to be completed and paid prior to returning to the state of residence. In other words, how does PA prove the accused were not intending to pay the use tax?

Edited by Guest

The whole driving across state lines just never made much sense to me.  So, if my grocery bill is $100...in TN I'll pay up to  $7 in tax. Is it worth driving to KY to buy groceries? Also, prices are not always the same (I've compared when I'm at Kroger up there).  And, my partner and I own a house in Bowling Green (he works up there)....so I kind of have some reason to go up there (but I don't very often).  He also pays KY state income tax and Bowling Green city tax. It comes out to about $9800 per year for him. You can buy a whole lot of stuff in one year and pay $9800 in sales tax....

I know it's a bit off topic....but as it relates to transportation and driving somewhere to save money...it seemed relevant. 

^ relevant points 

The pair live in White House so the economics are different. Also, the wife works in Bowling Green so the travel cost is moot. Again, they do not do all their shopping in KY, only when it makes sense. 

I have not advocated a preference for KYs abhorrent state income tax (bowling green gaining a separate tax is insane). However, it it obvious the greater the differential between state sales tax the greater the ‘leakage’.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^ Do you have a news article to reference? I am not doubting your facts, but would like to read about how the enforcement works in PA....my birth state. 

It seems as if any charges are easily disputable. For instance, it is not illegal to cross state borders to buy goods, any state trying to prevent such behavior runs afoul of federal law and interstate commerce. What the state may require is a use tax be paid on goods transported back into the state and even then only the difference between the taxes paid (if any) and the taxes owed. This process is paperwork completed sometime after the fact and not not required to be completed and paid prior to returning to the state of residence. In other words, how does PA prove the accused were not intending to pay the use tax?

Here's one I found without looking too hard, plus anecdotes of friends being pulled over by the PSP.

https://whyy.org/articles/authorities-bust-illegal-alcohol-transport-from-del-to-pa/

Completely anecdotal and totally by word of mouth, but I was told once that if you’re caught transporting more than two cartons of cigarettes from New Jersey into New York City, you can be charged with tax evasion since they consider it over a personal consumption amount. I also had a friend whose frat brother claimed he was ticketed for tax evasion (or something of the sort) because he was pulled over with more than like 4 cases of Yuengling entering Tennessee, before they sold it here. The story was that since yuengling didn’t pay the Tennessee alcohol tax and he carried more than a personal consumption amount, they considered it an attempt to sell it and avoid paying the state taxes. I don’t know if any of this is actually true, just thought I’d add my “overly strict tax evasion tickets/prosecution” story to the mix. 

I’ve finally started hearing pro transit commercials on the radio. And saw one on tv the other day. 

I agree @nashwatcher they are really dropping the ball with their sign game I don’t know what gives. Do they not have the money? Poorly organized? I’ve been trying to get a sign for a month!

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I agree @nashwatcher they are really dropping the ball with their sign game I don’t know what gives. Do they not have the money? Poorly organized? I’ve been trying to get a sign for a month!

Same here. I've requested a sign multiple times and have never received a response.

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

A Fox 17 poll had the transit behind by 2 to 1.

Was it a Facebook poll or a legitimate phone poll? The comments sections of the local news stations tend to be overwhelmingly conservative, which I don’t really mind as a conservative but it does taint the results of polls involving Davidson county matters. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

A Fox 17 poll had the transit behind by 2 to 1.

What coverage I've seen from Fox 17 has been anti-transit leaning....in my opinion.  That's my frame of reference...doesn't mean it's anything other than my perception.

Preds are pro-transit.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/03/29/nashville-predators-transit-supporters-referendum-tn-tv-ad/471151002/