TopTenn

The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Unfortunately old people always vote. 

What's wrong with old people always voting?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


55 minutes ago, timmay143 said:

:tw_anguished:  Me too.  What is wrong with us "younger" folk...

Not sure haha... I mean, dont get me wrong, I still like to go out and listen to EDM and drink microbrews and many other things associated with being a youngin lol...  but at the same time, I have a lot of gray in my beard, enjoy soup, and doing puzzles, have a bad back, love listening to Motown classics, and often find myself able to relate much more with people twice my age than I can with people in the 18-25 demo.  :blink:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

enjoy soup

Enjoy soup hahahahaha :rofl:

 

I’d definitely say the older demographic is associated with being against change. Be it a good/bad, true/false association or not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Not sure haha... I mean, dont get me wrong, I still like to go out and listen to EDM and drink microbrews and many other things associated with being a youngin lol...  but at the same time, I have a lot of gray in my beard, enjoy soup, and doing puzzles, have a bad back, love listening to Motown classics, and often find myself able to relate much more with people twice my age than I can with people in the 18-25 demo.  :blink:

hmm... mentioning dance music and motown in the same breath. methinks you mean detroit techno? ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, timmay143 said:

:tw_anguished:  Me too.  What is wrong with us "younger" folk...

I don't call people young....they are 'experience challenged'.  :tw_cookie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine said he was voting against the Transit plan and I asked why. He said he was listening to the anti transit commercial and was saying it did nothing about roads and interstates. he was shocked when I told him Metro has no control over the interstates and no amount of voting will change that because they are controlled expanded and improved by the state and the Feds, no one else.

He thought Metro was missing an opportunity to expand the Interstate system and I told him that would cost more. He was also under the impression that they needed to work on the areas coming in from MT J. The Boro and other places and that needed to be fixed. Told him that the state is not going to add any more capacity to those systems as they are already maxed out. And if they did the cost is monumental.

Just goes to show how misinformed the people are. There are other that I talked to that live outside metro that said they would vote against it and I told them this is Nashville not a regional vote. How stupid are the folks in MD Tn. Well this goes to show that many are just ignorant and listen to everything the anti transit people say.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the misinformation campaign is working. The more people I talk to the more falsehoods I hear and the less likely I think it will pass. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

A friend of mine said he was voting against the Transit plan and I asked why. He said he was listening to the anti transit commercial and was saying it did nothing about roads and interstates. he was shocked when I told him Metro has no control over the interstates and no amount of voting will change that because they are controlled expanded and improved by the state and the Feds, no one else.

He thought Metro was missing an opportunity to expand the Interstate system and I told him that would cost more. He was also under the impression that they needed to work on the areas coming in from MT J. The Boro and other places and that needed to be fixed. Told him that the state is not going to add any more capacity to those systems as they are already maxed out. And if they did the cost is monumental.

Just goes to show how misinformed the people are. There are other that I talked to that live outside metro that said they would vote against it and I told them this is Nashville not a regional vote. How stupid are the folks in MD Tn. Well this goes to show that many are just ignorant and listen to everything the anti transit people say.

I was talking to a very intelligent friend this weekend, who is usually well-informed, and he was going on about how great the Swope plan is. I informed him of the insanity, as well as the fact that local money wouldn't be able to pay for the vast majority of his plan, and there is no way in hell that the state would fund that. Also, I'm sure Icahn would just hand us PSC metals, too.  In the process, I also happened upon Swope's website, which advocates for a Nashville-area light rail system (and also appears to show some confusion between light and heavy rail in the process): http://www.swopefornashville.com/issues.html  (spoiler alert - just tell CSX to give us their rail lines).

Also, I really see no world in which this plan passes. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it will even be close. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen way more Pro Transit spots on TV than Anti.  Have heard about equal . between the two on radio. I haven't received any Anti mail, but have gotten 3 Pro pieces in my mailbox.  Have seen more Pro news stories on newspaper websites.  Don't watch much in the way of local TV newscasts, so can't comment on coverage there.

That being said, it seems that a lot of folks I interact with are against it because of lack of understanding of what is in the bill, or simply don't want to pay higher taxes. In most cases, they don't actually know what the taxes are exactly, or are wildly off in what they THINK they will be. Most don't realize there is a large bus component to the plan (more buses, more routes, more frequency).

Most think we need to run trains out to Franklin, Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, and Clarksville.  When I explain that this is strictly a Davidson County referendum and only applies within our borders, they get all confused and even combative. They have no knowledge about how CSX controls most all rail lines and is unwilling to help.

And, as several others have stated, they have no concept of how freeways work (Metro has no say or budget to put in play on them). They either want more lanes,  a double decker loop around downtown, or even MORE completely new freeway routes added all over the metroplex. When I explain how that will never happen without TDOT/Fed, and that it would be even more expensive and time consuming (not to mention displacing thousands of people and businesses to create new routes or widen existing freeways) they say things like, "If we can land a man on the moon, we should be able to figure out how to build more freeways."   

Very frustrating how little people know, or are willing to even learn about how transit in a growing metroplex has to be planned and managed.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost everyone I talk to is completely uneducated about the taxes involved and the benefits of the plan for our city long term. Who was hired to do PR for the Pro Transit side? I feel like this has been the biggest downfall so far. Terrible job communicating or educating the public. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ ^ ^ I actually think there's a lot of Pro stuff out there---but people only hear/see what they WANT to see, or, more importantly, really haven't bothered to LOOK at all, but still have an opinion.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually am more optimistic tonight than I was this morning.

Trigger warning I'm going to use the phrase "those people"

 

I went on a quest this evening to find a frozen duck to make for dinner this week.  (more on that later)

I ended up driving from the Green Hills Kroger to the Belle Meade Kroger.  there were way more pro transit signs that I passed than anti.

if those people will support it, we can get anyone to vote for it. 

 

side note,  anyone know where I can get a whole duck? frozen preferable since that should be cheaper.  I went to 7 stores with no luck.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.