The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 4/17/2018 at 7:00 AM, AronG said:

It would be very unusual if no federal grants were received for a project of this size, which would stretch across several administrations. Councilman Elrod did address this unlikely scenario though, with the boring and predictable answer that some of the elements would be delayed for a few years until the sales tax revenue came in to fund them.

I have been curious about this as well. Granted the Trump Administration promised alot of infrastructure spending and nothing has been approved (that I know of). Once this plan passes there will probably be a number of significant changes most likely. Looking over the Tennessean article (link below) there is a line item for 2.5 billion in Bonds. Granted I have not the slightest clue what Bonds actually are (general debt/line of credit type stuff?), but it would not shock me if the county pursues some federal assistance to help lower that number.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/10/17/how-5-2-billion-proposed-transit-system-would-funded/770587001/

• Like 1

Lots and lots of pro transit and very few anti transit signs in Hillsboro village, Belmont-Hillsboro, and Hillsboro-Richland. Obviously. I think this one will be won or lost in the “peripheries” - Madison, Bordeaux, Bellevue, donelson, hermitage, Antioch, etc. 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2018 at 10:23 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Some of the largest voting areas so far. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.23.11 AM.png

Is this based on where the voters live? Or where they voted? For example, I voted at the Fulton Campus, but live in East Nashville. Would my vote be assigned to downtown or East Nash in this analysis?

On 4/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, volsfanwill said:

whole duck

Yesterday I saw an ad from Porter Road Butcher featuring whole ducks.

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Nothing fancy I just took the list from here and put it on a map. But I would think the majority of people vote close to where they live, just an assumption.

http://www.nashville.gov/Election-Commission/Voters/Early-Voting-In-Person.aspx

Thanks. I assumed it was based on voting location, but wasn't certain.

"Our response: The immediate gains will improve the transit system and provide options. The downtown tunnel is in response to the fact that downtown streets cannot be widened and allows tourists and employees to avoid the ever-more congested roadways in downtown. Also, this is not a traffic congestion plan and never was one. This is a transit plan, which provides alternatives to congestion, which is growing because more people are moving to Nashville every day. That will not abate."

I do wonder what they mean by, this plan not reducing congestion? Because it won't be connected to the outer counties yet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

What the heck is a boondoggle?  Has he seen the fairgrounds lately?  It looks like walking dead was film there. The stadium will help out development in that area. That's better than having a desolate landscape with a race track in the middle.  

A boondoggle is a government project that is a bottomless pit of public money, something that becomes a huge factor in the financial bottom line of a city/state. So, for instance, although New York City has great public transit, it could be called a boondoggle because the pension plan for the transit workers is always deep in the red and thus sucks up the majority of public transit spending, including the post-Sandy federal dollars they got for repairs and updates to their system. 

• Like 1

Those of you who intend to vote for the plan should consider some of the thoughtful viewpoints brought up in the town hall that NPT held this week: http://video.wnpt.org/video/3011623338/

Specifically:

• The role of Transit-Oriented Development zones in this plan
  • Land acquisition issues (such as how there seems to be a rail station slated for the site of First Baptist Church of East Nashville, which is on the Natl Register)
  • Dearth of data on environmental impact of construction and operation
  • Carrying costs of the debt alone - roughly $240m per year, which, assuming tripled ridership, works out to $12 per RIDE. 

Also note how the representatives from the city tend to talk around residents' questions and shift responsibility elsewhere.  For example, Steve Bland of MTA seemed unaware of the First Baptist Church conceptual station site issue and framed it as a misinformation issue. 

Edited by Will
Update
  • Like 3