The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's true, but I've never really understood the argument that they should be profitable given the fact that mass transit systems fall into the category of municipal infrastructure.  I mean, nobody would ever expect cities to make money off of public schools or fire departments or sewer systems, so why the expectation for mass transit?  Are they assuming that because there is a small fee to use it that the intent is for it to operate like a business?  It just makes no sense to me.  

Nobody should expect transit to make money. Unfortunately people use the fact that tax payer dollars are going to it and they feel the tax payers should see a return (which they do.. its called public transportation).

Everyone says to use uber and lyft as a mass transit system. Well those are FOR PROFIT companies, that the government will have to subsidize and GASP tax payer dollars going to it. People who dont want the transit plan will use any excuse possible. its really quite sad in my book :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can think of worse words to hear repeatedly. Like moist. Or perhaps fondle.

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's true, but I've never really understood the argument that they should be profitable given the fact that mass transit systems fall into the category of municipal infrastructure.  I mean, nobody would ever expect cities to make money off of public schools or fire departments or sewer systems, so why the expectation for mass transit?  Are they assuming that because there is a small fee to use it that the intent is for it to operate like a business?  It just makes no sense to me.  

The difference is that police/fire protection, for example, is assumed to be distributed over the entire city. If you live outside Joelton, for example, even though you are in the most rural parts of the county you can still expect to have the police or fire department respond to an emergency. Same with schools, no matter where you live in the county you have access to public schools (whether you have school-age children notwithstanding).

That's not the case with transit; it's not really reasonable to expect any transit coverage outside of relatively urban areas, much less modes like light rail. Covering the entire county with anything more robust than paratransit (which is still not open to everyone to use) is a practical impossibility. So if you live in the sticks, you're not getting that coverage that you would with other services (aside from the marginal benefits like supposedly less traffic), but if it's funded like other services you're still paying for it just like any other resident of the county.

(Sewers actually do more or less break even when they are coupled with water service. Metro Water Services, for example, charges a percentage of water usage for sewer service and a flat fee for stormwater infrastructure.)

Of course you could rig up a system that only charges people who live in areas served by transit, similar to Metro's Urban Services District. For example, a district for each light rail line that consists of the residences and businesses within walking distance of that line. But I expect that many people would be less supportive of a plan that charged them more directly for transit services as opposed to one that spread the costs out over a larger population.

But having worked with many transit agencies, they would be better off if they were funded by ridership instead of grants, taxes, and the general fund. Note, this doesn't necessarily mean they have to be funded by fare collection; it could be accomplished with transit vouchers, for example. But as it is there is very little incentive for agencies to build and operate systems that put riders on the vehicles. Their plans, including Let's Move Nashville, reflect that. They are based around what sounds and looks good (to voters and to the feds) rather than what are cost-effective means to get people from point A to point B.

Yes, I wish Mr. Yarbro's words could be spread far and wide.  There is a great deal of wisdom to be found in them.  Sadly, I suspect that a great many Nashvilians would read that and still somehow manage to have the singular thought: 'If it ain't gonna make it easier for me to speed my F350 down the highway, then what the hell good is it?' 

• Like 2

^^^ We have 4 of these diverging diamonds here in the Charlotte area and believe it or not they really work. The speed up traffic and only for a few instances of people driving the wrong way right after they open.  I have not heard any of that happening lately.   They have huge concrete barriers in the middle and sidewalks on the outer edges at least here in NC.  But like I said after you get used to them they are fast moving at busy intersections.  The NC DOT loves these and they are putting them all over the state now.  Atlanta and GADOT did them near Perimeter Mall in Atlanta with much success too.    At your IKEA exit you will need it for sure.  

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/Diverging_Diamond.pdf

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ We have 4 of these diverging diamonds here in the Charlotte area and believe it or not they really work. The speed up traffic and only for a few instances of people driving the wrong way right after they open.  I have not heard any of that happening lately.   They have huge concrete barriers in the middle and sidewalks on the outer edges at least here in NC.  But like I said after you get used to them they are fast moving at busy intersections.  The NC DOT loves these and they are putting them all over the state now.  Atlanta and GADOT did them near Perimeter Mall in Atlanta with much success too.    At your IKEA exit you will need it for sure.  

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/Diverging_Diamond.pdf

We definitely need it.  I drove through the one near Perimeter Mall in Atlanta, it was a little awkward at first. I was thinking what the heck kind of road is this? :o But, from the statistics it looks like it works well.

In that video, I was particularly jealous of seeing Braum's...

Anyway, TDOT upgraded the Sevierville-Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg exit on I-40 to a diverging diamond interchange, and it is brilliant.  I hope we'll see more of them all over the country.

Highway designers in the U.S. seem to be stuck in a rut.  We have this obsession for traffic lights and four-way stops.  I wish we had more diverging diamond interchanges and more roundabouts.

• Like 1

Wow, these intersections are pretty awesome. I’d love to have a few of them in some key spots in the metro area. Two thoughts though:

1. If there’s a way to screw up what seems like an idiot-proof intersection, dumbass Nashville drivers will find it. 

2. They really have to make sure they keep the lines clear and painted. I can’t tell you how many intersections in Nashville have lines that are faded to the point where you constantly have people cutting into your lane because they can’t see where their land ends. With a new, unorthodox traffic pattern, and adding in the average lack of common sense of drivers in our city, they need to make the paint pop on the road. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

me every day, but i do try to click on profiles before i comment back.  mostly though to find out if they actually live here.  Id say less than 50% of negative comments are from people within Davidson county.

My go to response to the not profitable argument is "please show me the profit that is produced by I 65, or 12th avenue, or the public library, or public schools, or the police and fire department."   no one every has an answer for that. 

Uber and Lyft are actually very expensive. we fell like they are cheap, because they are cheaper than taxis.  also, both of them plan to raise prices once traditional taxi companies are out of business.  as it is they are both hemorrhaging money.   I live on 8th ave and to get to a preds game non surge pricing, it is about $9 before tip. (always tip your driver, they make crap wages) but last night I wanted to go to Von Elrods, next to the Sounds Stadium (I Highly Recommend)  the quoted price was $34.   yes, I could have waited  half an hour or more for a bus, but i drove instead,  spent no money on alcohol,  and only had dinner and went back home, instead of going out with friends afterwards.   If we had a robust transit system, I would have spent more money last night, and therefore paid more taxes.

Mind if I "borrow" that second point? LOL

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, MagicPotato said:

Awesome video and well done. But the narrator is correct when he says he is not an engineer and knows nothing about it.

When the first 'diverging diamond' was proposed for Tennessee, I reviewed it and had a couple of reservations about the functionality of it. First, the concept of driving on the 'wrong side of the road' was disconcerting.  I was concerned that this maneuver was too distracting and confusing and would create other conflicts such as rear end collisions. This could be rectified by installing tall barriers between the opposing lanes to help eliminate the distraction, but I doubt that will become a common practice in the design process.  Secondly, it requires someone to look over their right shoulder to merge and that is a difficult skill to master.

I do like the fact that the notoriously inefficient diamond interchange is improved by making it a two signal phase operation. From an operational standpoint it is successful. However...I have to wonder if other upgrades in safety, free flow merge lanes and proper signal placement and markings might have resulted in similar accident reduction numbers.

Maybe there has been a lot more study on this subject since I last looked at it and more data based conclusions have been drawn to support the safety claims. But on the basis of congestion management improvements, it seems to be a solid concept that I would probably have endorsed. 

• Like 2