The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

18 minutes ago, AronG said:

So many thoughts...

• Our annual budget is north of $2 billion. The 2-mile protected bike lane on Davidson St cost $839,000. You of all people should love this scale of these projects. No bond issue necessary!
  • I love the talking point where our sidewalks suck so we can't fix anything else. It's is a great way to justify not doing anything about anything! "Murderers get away with it all the time. Why do we even outlaw kidnapping?"
  • We spend an incredible amount of money on our roads, and we've spread car subsidies throughout our economy. Bike lanes are an absolute pittance in comparison.
  • Can you really follow the Bird scooter saga and not conclude that the upcoming generation of electric gizmos is going to push a whole new level of demand for person-size transportation? Give them space!
  • I refuse to believe that a smart guy like you could document so exquisitely what a joke the Church St bike lane is, then genuinely invoke it to conclude that nobody uses bike lanes.
  • What is even your point about injuries? Are you saying pedestrians/bikers are at fault for their own injuries and deaths therefore we shouldn't improve the facilities for them?
  • Every single time we go through a community process on city planning (most recently NashvilleNext), people unambiguously want to increase mode share for "active transportation" (bike/ped). The way to do that is to provide better facilities.
  • You can't decide whether to build a bridge by counting the people swimming across the river. Build a real network of protected lanes that allows people to escape car traffic and get around the core and use will absolutely increase.
  • Why do we have to pretend like this hasn't been played out in full by every single city that came before us? Do you think they're all wasting time & money pursuing better biking infrastructure? There's nothing magical about New Orleans, Portland, or Minneapolis. They just took this seriously instead of paying lip service.

Anyway, I got more but I assume you're trolling with this one so I'll wrap it up there. I salute your superior ability to dislodge an avalanche of replies.

This. This. THIS.  I cannot click "like" on this post enough.  

• Like 3

I guess at least some Metro Councilmen and the 2nd leading candidate for mayor (Gilmore) disagree with your characterization....

"

"We've got significant problems with this budget, and it's only going to get worse next year," Mendes said, arguing that spending cuts wouldn't change the outlook.

"There's definitely no way to cut our way to prosperity on this," Mendes said. "There's no way to cut enough money to fund the pay plan, actually have a rainy-day fund at 5 percent (of the budget), and fund the schools budget."

"The proposal, led by At-large Councilman Bob Mendes, with early backing from At-large Councilwoman Sharon Hurt and Councilman Bill Pridemore, would increase the city's combined property tax rate in the Urban Services District from $3.155 to $3.655 per $100 of assessed value, a 15.9-percent hike."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/18/nashville-council-members-propose-50-cent-property-tax-hike/620786002/

21 hours ago, samsonh said:

Budget deficit is currently around 1% of Metro's budget. Not huge by any means. Revenue growth will continue as many of these large projects discussed on this very board come online and begin paying taxes. Also many TIF loans will soon be paid off and that money will begin flowing into the general fund. Metro could also shut down Metro General(which I think they should), and immediately the budget deficit becomes a surplus. 

5 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

I guess at least some Metro Councilmen and the 2nd leading candidate for mayor (Gilmore) disagree with your characterization....

"

"We've got significant problems with this budget, and it's only going to get worse next year," Mendes said, arguing that spending cuts wouldn't change the outlook.

"There's definitely no way to cut our way to prosperity on this," Mendes said. "There's no way to cut enough money to fund the pay plan, actually have a rainy-day fund at 5 percent (of the budget), and fund the schools budget."

"The proposal, led by At-large Councilman Bob Mendes, with early backing from At-large Councilwoman Sharon Hurt and Councilman Bill Pridemore, would increase the city's combined property tax rate in the Urban Services District from $3.155 to $3.655 per $100 of assessed value, a 15.9-percent hike."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/18/nashville-council-members-propose-50-cent-property-tax-hike/620786002/

And I disagree with that assessment. They refuse to look at ending the large subsidy to Metro General. I understand their reasons but it simply makes sense to end it. That subsidy alone is going to be at least $46 million this fiscal year. 

NB, you believe there are lots of problems. Do you have a solution you'd like to bring to the table?

Edited by samsonh

Did I recently read there is $205M in the budget for "Rainy Day" fund?  Does a budget shortfall not constitute a rainy day? 

Did I recently read there is $205M in the budget for "Rainy Day" fund?  Does a budget shortfall not constitute a rainy day?  Also, has anyone looked into the additional staff members Mayor Barry added in her first 4 months? I believe she added 4-5 new staff positions. 

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Did I recently read there is $205M in the budget for "Rainy Day" fund?  Does a budget shortfall not constitute a rainy day? 

Did I recently read there is $205M in the budget for "Rainy Day" fund?  Does a budget shortfall not constitute a rainy day?  Also, has anyone looked into the additional staff members Mayor Barry added in her first 4 months? I believe she added 4-5 new staff positions. 

No offense but 4-5 new positions barely makes a dent in our budget. Although I agree with your sentiment that all positions should be looked at in terms of need citywide. 

On 5/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, Bos2Nash said:

In regards to your comments about other modes using these lanes, the city needs to step up their game in terms of ticketing vehicles that do this (also wonder if this would happen with separated lanes?? that would be no) and have them removed if necessary. Blaming bike infrastructure for having cars and trucks park in them is like blaming the inanimate objects in other political arguments for the issue. The people that violate the bike lane are responsible and need to be ticketed or towed for the interruption.

This is a huge thing. Cities around the country are generally more concerned with ticketing speeding and issuing meter violations than ticketing or towing illegally parked delivery vehicles, cars blocking sidewalks, and unsafe driving. It often requires specific complaints against specific vehicles for anything to be done. I see it everywhere from Nashville to my apartment in Alexandria, VA. If I'm out for a stroll or casual bike ride and have the time, I've taken to calling the police non emergency line to request an officer come and ticket drivers, especially delivery trucks that have access to loading docks but don't use them. After two or three complaints for a specific business and a few tickets issued to drivers, they start getting the idea.

• Like 4

No, there will still need to be tons of parking, because middle/upper-middle/upper-class people from the suburbs will still view car ownership as a status symbol, which means even if it's autonomous they'll want to own their own. They're not going to subscribe to a car-share service for a multitude of reasons.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, SoundScan said:

No, there will still need to be tons of parking, because middle/upper-middle/upper-class people from the suburbs will still view car ownership as a status symbol, which means even if it's autonomous they'll want to own their own. They're not going to subscribe to a car-share service for a multitude of reasons.

Not that I'm opposed to trains. I'm not. But I can offer a simpler explanation: people like me actually like to drive.

• Like 3

I' m watching a documentary on Netflix right now.   its from PBS called "American Experience; The Race Underground"

I highly recommend it!  the part where people are against building a Subway in Boston is hilarious!  the opponent's arguments sound so familiar.  even in crippling congestion, people were against the solution.  except at that time it truly was an unproven solution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Not that I'm opposed to trains. I'm not. But I can offer a simpler explanation: people like me actually like to drive.

Curious to know how you plan on "driving" an autonomous vehicle that won't have any user controls. This has nothing to do with trains.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dale said:

Real question: Do you enjoy driving on  our interstates and downtown? I really enjoy driving on some of our beautiful state roads once you get out of town, but could easily do away with ever driving in the city.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Electric scooter company continues local operations despite Metro warning:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/24/electric-scooter-startup-ignores-metro-warning.html

They require all riders to take a photo whenever they park now, and they've committed to moving improperly parked vehicles within two hours of reports. Metro should follow Austin's lead and pass light regulations requiring a permit and a small per vehicle fee to operate them. Then we should set aside some parking spots in areas where they're popular, accelerate our bike lane efforts, and see where this goes. Every person that gets around on one of these is one less car gumming up the roads.

• Like 3