The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

19 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I doubt they will be upset at all, since they will be getting MORE ROADS!!!!

Using one of this, it could be as high as 70 acres, holy hell! PUT IT ALL UNDERGROUND!

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

Unreal.  I just used that tool to measure the size of the exchange at Ellington Pkwy/Briley Pkwy/I-65 and it came out to about  0.4 square miles, which is roughly the same size as Sobro, Rutledge Hill, Pie Town, and Rolling Mill Hill put together.  Such an unfathomable waste of space and money for such an unfathomably ridiculous reason.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Unreal.  I just used that tool to measure the size of the exchange at Ellington Pkwy/Briley Pkwy/I-65 and it came out to about  0.4 square miles, which is roughly the same size as Sobro, Rutledge Hill, Pie Town, and Rolling Mill Hill put together.  Such an unfathomable waste of space and money for such an unfathomably ridiculous reason.  

Well that’s depressing...

96341C2F-C384-4683-96C2-866476F8AEF8.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

See what you do is you tell a developer they can have first dibs on half the land if they convince the State to put it all underground. It would get done in less than 5 years! 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 10:07 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Agreed 100% @AronG I'd much rather see them spend that money on other more helpful things. Because like you said, if they upgrade it to 6 lanes for 100k cars. Then 10 years from now they will want to upgrade it to 8 lanes for 150k cars. 

Hopefully they will realize that, one thing I would like them to fix is something like this cluster. But, I don't even know if that's possible. It takes up so much damn space and is such an eye sore. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 10.07.03 AM.png

I also consider this an eyesore and wasted space! Hahaha! Sorry, couldn't resist

Screenshot_20180601-103637.jpg

• Haha 3

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Finance/docs/OMB/citizens_budget/budgetbook/fy19/FY19RecommendedOperatingBudgetFinalRevised051818.pdf

Does anyone know how to read the budget, I find this for sidewalks, does that mean there is 30 million in the sidewalk fund?

I'm really just trying to figure out how much money the in lieu of fund has in it and how much developers who get the variance have to pay into it. I can't seem to find it anywhere, I know it probably depends on road frontage and all of that. I am just beyond curious where all that money is going and how much is getting paid into it.

From page A-37. 

SIDEWALKS - New and Replace - GSD - 30,000,000 - Infrastructure 

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Finance/docs/OMB/citizens_budget/budgetbook/fy19/FY19RecommendedOperatingBudgetFinalRevised051818.pdf

Does anyone know how to read the budget, I find this for sidewalks, does that mean there is 30 million in the sidewalk fund?

I'm really just trying to figure out how much money the in lieu of fund has in it and how much developers who get the variance have to pay into it. I can't seem to find it anywhere, I know it probably depends on road frontage and all of that. I am just beyond curious where all that money is going and how much is getting paid into it.

From page A-37. 

SIDEWALKS - New and Replace - GSD - 30,000,000 - Infrastructure 

That $30 million is part of the Metro budget. That is our tax dollars! 

The in lieu of funds have no relation to the budget

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, Neigeville2 said:

Like lots of people, all I want is a little roof over my head and a little space to garden, and the stupid market in its vast wisdom does not provide that.  

OK, now I understand better, and I agree with you.  I love the "small house" movement and, personally, I would live in one.  For a second I thought people in this thread were saying that home owners shouldn't be allowed to buy the biggest house they want, but if it is a complaint about the lack of small housing stock, then yes, you are right.  I watch a lot of those small house/small living videos on YouTube and most of the time they are doing battle with cities and counties who don't want to allow that.  Personally, I think zoning laws are too restrictive in that they do not allow alternate lifestyles.  Some places have minimum lot sizes and minimum structure sizes.  In some places you can only get agricultural land re-zoned to commercial if you are a rich developer.  Not to mention all the codes that prevent people from designing and building their own home - it really is amazing that it's illegal for a man to build a roof over his own head (for all practical purposes, I realize some people are skilled carpenters that could actually meet the code requirements).  I contend this is also part of the homeless problem.

• Like 3

Austin and San Francisco have done the same, although Austin's are slowly returning with permitting in place and a roll-out of new regulations. SF is working through the same thing this month. I'd expect that most cities will adopt similar strategies for handling these last-mile solutions as they push nationwide.

• Like 2

I wonder if Bird is even able to collect and store them all. They outsource the daily collection and charging to people that sign up for it and get paid on a per-scooter basis. I wouldn't be surprised if Bird's Nashville employee presence is just one or two people taking delivery of new scooters and getting them out on the street.

36 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Diane Blacks new commercials are saying more lanes less trains. She is advocating bring back the northern loop of 840. Talk about a huge waste of dollars. OMG,  she says truck traffic should be reduced trough the downtown, but we know this will not happen because there are too many truck stops, warehouses, and terminals just within a 3 to 4 mile radius of downtown. Besides the truck drivers most of the time will take the shortest route even if there is a back up that may cost them 15 minutes. It is better than going 6o miles out of their way and all of the traffic apps, such as Google, Waze or any GPS will route you through the shortest route.

Any law advocating no trucks  would be struck down because it would put a number of large businesses out of business. It would be different if there were a new highway being built through downtown, but we all know that will never happen.

Again, even with the fix for 440, bringing it to three lanes, it will still bottle neck down to two where it meets 40 and 24. All of us on here know that more lanes is not feasible , reasonable, workable, or sustainable. 

It just goes to show how politicians pander on both sides of the isle to get votes, when they know full well it is not a solution.

She also wants a double decker highway downtown, very regressive thinking as usual from Black. Not to mention, extremely expensive. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think we all know how expensive the northern loop of 840 would be. My guess is 4 to 6 billion.

And it should be ready to solve traffic congestion by 2044, assuming a similar timeline to the southern loop.

• Like 3

I would like Nashville to have the trains, monorails, light rail, etc running out to the surrounding county’s..  But I personally would like to see 840 run from Lebanon  to I65 north as it would be helpful  to me personally but I just can’t give her my vote. I’ve always thought monorails would be the best option since they are up in the air and not affected by traffic. Light rail is ok too but I prefer monorails.  Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1