TopTenn

The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

We ended up staying and choosing private school...it was the correct decision, but we sacrificed family vacations and news cars for years....in fact we had only 1 car under a couple of years ago when my oldest received his DL... It goes without saying Davidson County loses many due to incredibly poor performance of Metro schools.

25 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I know people who were happy as larks living in places like east Nashville and west end, but when they had kids they moved to Franklin so fast it made my head spin. I would personally love to stay in Nashville long-term but I’m also not going to be sending my kids to Davidson county schools so if the finances aren’t right when my kids are school-age we’ll probably be late for Sumner or Wilson county. 

• Like 2

My mom is a school teacher and has been for 20+ years. She says without fail, if the parents preach education as important at home, then the kid will. 

Now if the school underperforms there might not be AP classes and things like that. But there are plenty of non-school extracurricular activities that can boost college admission resumes. 

2 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I do not when you grew up, but I am curious, how did your friends' plans workout? Did they indeed move to Nashville (or another city) and send their kids to public schools?

When our kids reached school age, our choices were few and all carried risks. Move to Will Co. for schools and sports, continue to live downtown and pay for private schools, send the boys to the most und performing school zone in the county and go into the lottery.

Many of my friends went to Williamson or Davidson schools, as well as some of the more well known private schools. I went to both private and Williamson. Private school in this city is vastly overrated unless sports are your thing. I am young enough that the only people with school age kids are those that married the first girl they met in college and they send their kids to religious affiliated schools. 

I have friends that work in metro and Williamson schools and understand there are challenges for both. If my kids can’t make it through those basic challenges they are going to really struggle in life. And that would be on me as a parent.

Paul,  it is great your mother is  a Metro teacher.  My MIL taught in Metro schools from late 70's until 2014 when she retired. She had five children and they were either in Magnet schools or private schools during k-12. In fact, she said almost all of her Metro teacher friends did the same with their kids.  That is not to say a student can not prosper in Metro schools, only that statistically the path is far from smooth. Parental involvement is a critical factor for success, but even with that the son/daughter is away from the parent(s) and enmeshed in a less that stellar environment for 10-12 hours/day....hard to overcome such influences, but not impossible.

48 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

My mom is a school teacher and has been for 20+ years. She says without fail, if the parents preach education as important at home, then the kid will. 

Now if the school underperforms there might not be AP classes and things like that. But there are plenty of non-school extracurricular activities that can boost college admission resumes. 

Like everything else, there are Great/Good/Fair/Poor Private Schools in Davidson Co.  Many of the religious schools are unchallenging academically, but then their primary mission is not academic but spiritual development.  I agree challenges are incredibly formative as children develop. Of course, there are good/healthy challenges (academic, athletic, social, healthy competition) and bad/unhealthy challenges (violence, drugs, gangs). I think most parents do their best to select eductional options which emphasize the former and deemphasize the latter. 

12 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Private school in this city is vastly overrated unless sports are your thing. I am young enough that the only people with school age kids are those that married the first girl they met in college and they send their kids to religious affiliated schools. 

I have friends that work in metro and Williamson schools and understand there are challenges for both. If my kids can’t make it through those basic challenges they are going to really struggle in life. And that would be on me as a parent.

• Like 3