The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Lol I was turning from 21st onto West End next to the Cathedral a few hours ago and had a good laugh at what looked like a 6’8 businessman in a suit riding a Bird uphill on West End. There were also several people further down towards Centennial Park that were actually driving them in the street like they’re supposed to. I can see why people ride on the sidewalk, it looked terrifying. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Value of Defeat: Transit officials say failed Let's Move Nashville effort could yield progress.

More at Nashville Post Magazine here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21026829/the-value-of-defeat

Wish I could read it.  How long  do these things stay behind the wall?

Regarding why some have disdain for the Bird and Lime Scooters:  I think part of it is the concept of leaving them wherever you finish with them.  It is reminiscent of little children leaving their toys scattered everywhere---just dropped wherever they lost interest in them---and then the adults have to come clean up after them. 

There's a level of self-centeredness and lack of consideration for others in leaving them "parked" on someone's lawn, or in the middle of a sidewalk, or a half dozen of abandoned units jamming-up a corner at an intersection, or leaned against a wall or lamp post.  I'm seeing it happen with rental bicycles now as well.   It's only going to get worse.

And, of course, the lack of safety, poor adherence to the rules of the road, or zipping down crowded sidewalks, etc. etc.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Regarding why some have disdain for the Bird and Lime Scooters:  I think part of it is the concept of leaving them wherever you finish with them.  It is reminiscent of little children leaving their toys scattered everywhere---just dropped wherever they lost interest in them---and then the adults have to come clean up after them. 

There's a level of self-centeredness and lack of consideration for others in leaving them "parked" on someone's lawn, or in the middle of a sidewalk, or a half dozen of abandoned units jamming-up a corner at an intersection, or leaned against a wall or lamp post.  I'm seeing it happen with rental bicycles now as well.   It's only going to get worse.

And, of course, the lack of safety, poor adherence to the rules of the road, or zipping down crowded sidewalks, etc. etc.  

They really should have "docking" stations and if you leave your scooter somewhere other than the docking station, you're fined X$.

• Like 1

Overnight, scooters bring a dose of reality to thinking on urban transportation.  Now build some protected bike lanes!

As for autonomous vehicles, which have enjoyed years of hype as the next big thing, Ramsey labeled them sliding into “the trough of disillusionment,” which Ramsey described as “when expectations don’t meet the truth.”

While companies are still investing in the technology necessary for cars to drive on their own, a growing understanding has emerged that cities full of robot cars remain years away. Now, the technorati are looking to scooters and bike share companies as the way to change municipal transportation and reshape cities through “micro-mobility.”

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Mayor Briley is re-elected next year, he will not push for a new transit referendum in that next term.

"Mayor Briley has no plans to push for a transit referendum in the near-term," Judith Byrd, the mayor's spokeswoman, said in a statement. "To make meaningful, sustainable progress on transit, WeGo will require a dedicated revenue source for both capital and operational needs. But, the state law that allows us to vote on a dedicated funding source says a community must wait one year before holding another transit referendum. The practical reality is that it can’t happen overnight. It would take years to develop a new plan that the majority of the community can support. We know our transportation concerns are not going away, and Mayor Briley is continuing to make improvements to the system with the resources that are available."

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/17/mayor-briley-wont-push-for-new-transit-referendum.html