The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Now Lyft is getting into the Nashville scooter craze by putting as many as 1,000 on the streets in the next few weeks.  I sure wish the city would get a better handle on all of this before introducing so may into the traffic flow. 

More at the Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/11/20/lyft-electric-scooters-nashville-bird-lime/2067111002/

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Now Lyft is getting into the Nashville scooter craze by putting as many as 1,000 on the streets in the next few weeks.  I sure wish the city would get a better handle on all of this before introducing so may into the traffic flow. 

I agree. Considering the recent increase in pedestrian deaths in Davidson County, it seems unwise to let this go unhinged.

I think part of the problem is also part of the genius of these scooter companies: The scooter is a very compelling option for that often-discussed "last mile" in cities that lack a strong bicycling culture. In Nashville, we have several factors working against us: A hilly topography, hot humid summers/cold winters, and a relatively small number of roads that feel safe to bike on for a casual cyclist. I bike to work daily and I'm used to it, but even on the side streets with bike lanes like Natchez Trace and Belmont, it can be intimidating to ride, and 90%+ of people are just not going to tackle the hills/car traffic, even if they're close enough and fit enough to do the ride.

The scooter solves this by taking the hills out of the equation, and reducing your exposure to the weather so that you're not sweaty or freezing. You can also ditch it without worrying about finding a bike rack, so you get most of the best of biking without a lot of the downsides. Flat cities like Amsterdam, London and to some degree NYC already have more of a bicycle culture due to the lack of the factors mentioned above, and so they haven't seen as much of a scooter explosion as cities like LA and Nashville. 

There are a lot of them out there, but I think the supply will even out once we get through this first full winter with scooters.    

• Like 1

It's hard to fix willful ignorance without people getting tickets I think.

I hollered at a guy for riding on the sidewalk the other day "Ride on the street, I'd like to keep scooters here!", went into the store and as I was getting back in my car he was riding on the sidewalk again the other way. So I yelled again and his reply was "The app told me to ride on the sidewalk" which I know is a bold-faced lie. 

I think until people start getting tickets, scooter riders and car drivers for not giving right of way, sharing the road, etc, with scooters/bikes then there won't be any change.

• Like 1

Above post, Dumb a$$. He could have broken his back. I dont have a lot of sympathy for stupid at this stage in my life.

I saw a guy going down 11th the other day as I was walking.  He was with all of his buddies going too fast and he went off the bike lane into the grassy section and he crashed into the srteet. Needless to say if a car had been coming at the time he would have been run over.

These idiots get up will a smile on their face but when you tell them they are lucky there eas no car coming the smile leaves quickly. Hopefully it was a wake up call.

• Like 3

Crazy idea, feel free to criticize, but I thought of it after a Stanley cup game 2 years ago. 

What if the lights on Broadway, West End, and Charlotte stayed green during rush hour for a more extended period of time, like 4 straight minutes at a time, getting most of the workers towards their interstate exits? 

After the preds game, there were hundreds of cars just waiting for the light to turn green, and the cross traffic had very little cars going east west... it would have made a lot more sense to have the lights remain green for longer. 

• Like 4

On 11/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, PaulChinetti said:

The lights in this town are terrible. If they were toned for anything g ever it would be awesome. Or had sensors/cameras to detect cars. Or flashed at night after certain times. Or if the cops running them during Titans/Preds games have a hoot. 

Totally. And my understanding is that Transcore, a Nashville company, resingnaled and automated the entire NYC grid. Seems like something everyone could get behind, right?

I’m someone who thinks cars (generally) drive too fast in this city, but it seems that at least some of this is due to people  who are pissed that they keep getting stuck sitting at lights and are trying to make up time or are hopping onto local streets trying to avoid gridlock.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:41 PM, PaulChinetti said:

The lights in this town are terrible. If they were toned for anything g ever it would be awesome. Or had sensors/cameras to detect cars. Or flashed at night after certain times. Or if the cops running them during Titans/Preds games have a hoot. 

I noticed this too when I was  there.  Nashville has a lot of backups at routine intersections.  Charlotte invested in traffic light management long ago and it makes traffic flow better with  longer greens for busier streets.    And simple things like banning left turns from side cut through streets onto other main streets would help too  and restricting left turns where there is no protected turn lane from the busier roads.   

But Nashville needs an all of the above strategy.  Improving roads, intersections, more mass transit options that can be bought in by the community even more bike lanes and paths.  Your city is booming but you have to get some transportation options going quickly.  Charlotte and the state of NC is using managed toll lanes (which by the way I don't like but they are necessary) to improve flow on the major interstates and NC is rolling out ramp meters on a highway I-540 in Raleigh soon to come to Charlotte to help with flow on interstates.   I saw a lot and I mean a lot of construction everywhere in the Nashville area but what I did not see is  much if any highway construction, intersection improvements or mass transit options being built.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dale said:

I-440 is under construction, Nashville’s greatest need, to talk to some. Also, I believe that 30 or so buses are being added and routes being streamlined. So, things are getting cranked up. And this is to say nothing about the impetus Amazon may provide.

Nice one, I hadn't heard about this. Thanks, Dale!