The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Where is this "unfettered capitalism" you speak of?

Btw...anyone else notice the board's usual troll started another fire...like usual?

I post about twice a week on average. If that’s trolling, then you are in luck. I always hope for a better life for all Nashville citizens. I disagree strongly with your views on how to get there. And I’m a Davidson county taxpayer. Seems relevant.

also; I can be harsher and more pointed if you would like!  :)

Edited by samsonh

Let's stop rewriting history here. The government didn't step in to regulate scooters because of some innate desire to stifle innovation, it did so because so many vocal constituents complained about them. One can simply look back in this thread or the news from early last year and see story after story about these things littering sidewalks, blocking ROW, riding the wrong way, running over pedestrians, thrown in lakes, rivers, and oceans, and even set on fire. Many local governments asked these scooter companies to step up and regulate their users to follow the rules and follow the law. They didn't do enough, and in most cases did nothing. So guess what? They get to enjoy fruits of their failures: government regulation.

The only aspect of the regulation I disagree with is some local governments (like SF) that are picking winners and losers rather than granting permits to any scooter company, from an open but limited pool.

• Like 2

...wow! This is still going on?

I thought everyone was compliant like myself and begged-off after Mark directed us to the coffee house. 

I will post regarding the scooter controversy ...which is actual mass transportation.

The regulations for scooters are not the issue. The initial ban was the overreach and I felt Metro did a decent job of implementing a policy to deal with the public's (and my) concerns. Where Metro has completely dropped the ball and is part of the problem is in NOT enforcing their own scooter regulations. Metro should have a team or 2 drive around and confiscate scooters in the right of way and have the scooter company pay a sizable fine (that they may pass along to their member) for its return. also , have some motorcycle cops actually stop and ticket scooter riders not following the traffic laws.... enforcement will go a looooooong way IMO.

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

I post about twice a week on average. If that’s trolling, then you are in luck. I always hope for a better life for all Nashville citizens. I disagree strongly with your views on how to get there. And I’m a Davidson county taxpayer. Seems relevant.

also; I can be harsher and more pointed if you would like!  :)

Wasn't talking about you.   And you don't know my views.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what the traffic cameras installed in Belle Meade along Harding Pike were for. This doesn't necessarily explain it to me...NEWSCHANNEL5

The given explanation that it will help find criminals doesn't convince me. Why does Belle Meade care who is driving down Harding Pike? The say it won't be used for speeding tickets or red light running. 

• Like 2

The blue lights does calm the traffic...even more so that the vaunted Belle Meade Police radars....as for the cameras, if I was trolling looking to smash and grab or commit another crime I would not do it where my license plate was being recorded.

This is a longer video that I watched last night. Talks about some of the problems with Loop/Hyperloop and the infrastructure that would possibly be required. It's a different look than the pie in the sky praise that the project has garnered. 

It also uses Cities Skylines which is a favorite game of mine. His videos are pretty great, with his presentation and cadence/tone.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

This is a longer video that I watched last night. Talks about some of the problems with Loop/Hyperloop and the infrastructure that would possibly be required. It's a different look than the pie in the sky praise that the project has garnered. 

It also uses Cities Skylines which is a favorite game of mine. His videos are pretty great, with his presentation and cadence/tone.

I only watched a little (wanna come back and watch the rest)...but already, I like the "FM" analogy, because there are many ideas that pop up in the world and people start buying in and believing this idea is our "future"....when it's actually "FM."  Not to say that some ideas don't start out as "FM" and turn into "AM" one day...but a dose of reality is sometimes needed.  

Btw...the tunnel idea, stacked in layers, gives me claustrophobia just imagining it. :shok:

• Haha 1

Haven't seen the video yet but I've heard that this technology can be applied to cargo containers - take cargo containers off ships and into the hyperloop, speed them out to cheap land 30 to 50 miles inland, unload onto trucks.  This would free up valuable port real estate, reduce the number of trucks on urban roads, and help us work out the kinks in the technology.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I live on a relatively well-traveled 30mph street in East Nashville. As I type this from my sofa, literally not even five minutes ago some hot rod moron just blew by my house doing at least 50.

Within the past year, some other moron doing the same thing t-boned a local resident, rolled her SUV halfway down the block, and nearly killed her passenger.

I am 100% in support of lowering the speed limits. I am even more highly supportive of actually enforcing said speed limits.

Best way is to have speed bumps 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Best way is to have speed bumps 

Pretty sure those are not allowed, at least in my district (8).

3 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

I live on a relatively well-traveled 30mph street in East Nashville. As I type this from my sofa, literally not even five minutes ago some hot rod moron just blew by my house doing at least 50.

Same.  It doesn't happen often during the day but late at night you can hear them hitting warp speed. 

One of my partners in the Atlanta office has a neighbor who rode bikes in their gated neighborhood in Duluth every morning. Not long ago, someone (presumably the HOA) took it upon themselves to install speedbumps throughout the neighborhood. Problem was they did not inform the residents of the neighborhood. In the predawn darkness one day after the bumps went down, she hit one and crashed head-on into the pavement. Now she's paralyzed from the neck-down. Tragic. 

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

I think MPW no longer installs speed bumps. They're a legal liability.

I was just at a traffic calming meeting with a couple of people from public works the other day and they indicated that they have reversed course and have started installing speed humps again in Nashville. As I understand it, outside of strict enforcement (which we won't have anytime soon), speed humps and road narrowing are two of the only effective ways of slowing down cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2