The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

19 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Personally, I think it's rather silly when people try to frame this debate as an issue of "freedom," particularly when the ones attempting to frame it that way are usually the same folks who are generally OPPOSED to expanding transportation options in favor of forcing people to have to rely on automobiles alone for all their transportation needs, but nevertheless, I welcome you to the forum sir/madam!

Come on is this satire?

Freedom from the government forcibly taking one's income is surely a more basic right than the 'freedom' you equate with being able to ride a subsidized trolly 10 blocks to get a cup of Joe or consume a particularly micro batch of a micro brew...

56 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Come on is this satire?

Freedom from the government forcibly taking one's income is surely a more basic right than the 'freedom' you equate with being able to ride a subsidized trolly 10 blocks to get a cup of Joe or consume a particularly micro batch of a micro brew...

GAWD that's a sexy post. 

I look down on Craft Beer drinkers, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

Come on is this satire?

The roads you drive on are subsidized just the same, and lol at trying to earn an income in Tennessee without the "freedom" of owning a car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:51 PM, PruneTracy said:

I'm guessing that @Bos2Nash is referring to Kayne Avenue Yard adjacent to the Gulch. Since they would still need the through lines for their operations I suspect this is more about selling off high-value, developable land than opening up passenger rail corridors.

Wow, if this is going to happen any time soon, wouldn't it completely change the footprint of the theoretical pedestrian bridge? Like it could suddenly only need to span like 50 feet of tracks instead of 200, right? I suppose it's naive to imagine that it's being delayed so the design can be updated for this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AronG said:

Wow, if this is going to happen any time soon, wouldn't it completely change the footprint of the theoretical pedestrian bridge? Like it could suddenly only need to span like 50 feet of tracks instead of 200, right? I suppose it's naive to imagine that it's being delayed so the design can be updated for this?

Hmmm, that's an interesting theory. It would certainly explain why the design RFQ has a scope of work including phases that were already completed in the previous design contract, such as ROW plans.

• Like 1

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/04/workforce-apartments-sprout-in-donelson-as.html

^ I don't recall this being shared in this thread, so here's an article from a few weeks ago detailing an Atlanta developer's investment at the Donelson station. I don't have access to this article so I am unsure of specifics.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Metro Council voted Tuesday to further regulate electric scooters in Nashville, including fining riders when they illegally park and operate scooters.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/03/06/nashville-electric-scooter-rules-fines-illegal-parking-operation/3054892002/

I definitely would like to know the answer to all these questions if this bill passed without any amendments.

• Like 1

Just ban those stupid things and be done with it, that way there are no questions, no injuries, no more stupid people riding them, parking them, crashing them , throwing them in the river, hanging them off bridges, speeding on the sidewalk, running red lights, and most importantly running into yours truly on one of my many walks downtown!

• Like 1

Maybe I missed this debate, but is there a user fee or use tax attached to those scooters? Maybe apply a small scooter tax and designate those funds to install/upgrade dedicated bicycle lanes in the areas where scooters are used most (particularly downtown, Germantown, Midtown, East Nash). I see a lot more motorized scooters than bicycles on city streets these days.

• Like 2