The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I collected a few images and such on this commuter rail line a while back. monsoon and I were talking about commuter rail in general and our discussion reminded me that I never posted some of this stuff thus far. I am still trying to collect more so I can throw together a nice collage, but this will do for now. Detailed drawings and renderings are actually pretty hard to come by.

Here's a map showing the actual alignment of the rail corridor. The railroad shortline being used belongs to Nashville & Eastern Railroad Authority. One of the reasons why this line was selected for construction first is the fact that the RTA got an awesome ROW deal from the railroad authority--would've been foolish to pass up.

east.jpg

Here's a rendering of the Riverfront Station. The other five stations on the line have been designed and approved, but as far as I can tell no technical drawings for the Riverfront Station have been finalized--and presently it is the biggest unforseen delay. Things are proceeding however.

riverfront.jpg

This is a more colorful and slightly more detailed representative map of the commuter rail system envisioned by RTA.

proposed.jpg

And of course the final logo design, or so they say ;)

starlogo.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what it turns out to look like. I agree with monsoon, it's a crude rendering. I'm sure it will look fine. It appears they tend to use timbers and such reminiscent of the old train stations and that will give it, hopefully, a quaint, timeless appearance. It is in a district dominated by Victorian warehouses so something slick and glassy will look out of place there. Now, we wait. The details on the stations will be out soon, I'm told.

There doesn't seem to be any clear indication of which line would be constructed next. For one, it depends on available funding, success of this line, any ROW deals that may present themselves, etc.

Here is another rendering of the proposed Riverfront Station. As far as I can tell, no final design has been approved so far, but at least this rendering isn't quite as rough as the first one :)

riverfront2.jpg

Here is the latest timetable from RTA, as of February 2005.

Schedule0105.jpg

Now here's something interesting... This is a 4.2 mile Light Rail or Modern Streetcar line (mode of transit not determined) which resulted from an MTA study several years ago--back when the Commuter Rail project first came up (1999?)

Lately it has come up again, and is talked of with a bit more confidence than before. In time it may become the topic of a more specific study and could reach official proposal status. Note that this starter line would actually include a spur to the Commuter Rail's Riverfront Station.

route.jpg

A conceptual photo showing what a Light Rail vehicle or Modern Streetcar would look like travelling down 5th Ave

LRT5thAve.jpg

Almost forgot... here's something I thought was damn cool looking... it is from the MTA website, of all places, and has one of the best Nashville skyline photos I've seen :thumbsup:

skyline1.jpg

Also, I have some pictures of the interior and exterior of the Commuter Rail train cars, but I don't have time to post them right now... stay tuned.

Norff, your reports of this are most appreciated. Thanks for doing the research. The future could definately show promise for all of us who are oriented to downtown and beyond.

The skyline shot is from the Titans stadium. That view is what the west side people see if there in the top rows of the cheap seats. Pretty cool shot.

a few folks have pointed out that Nashvillians won't want to leave their cars and that's probably true. Most people just don't know any other way to get around, and they're hesitant to use any public transit due to it's no-so-great reputation here in town. Until we get a sizable contingency to break the cycle of "public transit is lousy because no uses it / no one uses public transit because it's lousy", this will not succeed. Well, unless the gov't dumps a buttload of $$$ on it. In jan of '04 i decided to quit talking about using public transit, and actually do it. Now, I ride MTA everyday - all over the city. Sure, it's not the best,...but it's getting better. I even (gasp) got rid of my car -- donated it to charity. When the commuter line starts up, i'll be on it -- if for no other reason than to support the principle.

Edited by eusebius

a few folks have pointed out that Nashvillians won't want to leave their cars and that's probably true.  Most people just don't know any other way to get around, and they're hesitant to use any public transit due to it's no-so-great reputation here in town.  Until we get a sizable contingency to break the cycle of "public transit is lousy because no uses it / no one uses public transit because it's lousy", this will not succeed.  Well, unless the gov't dumps a buttload of $$$ on it.  In jan of '04 i decided to quit talking about using public transit, and actually do it.  Now, I ride MTA everyday - all over the city.  Sure, it's not the best,...but it's getting better.  I even (gasp) got rid of my car -- donated it to charity.  When the commuter line starts up, i'll be on it -- if for no other reason than to support the principle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wont give up my car but i will definitly be a frequent transiter on the new rail. i used to ride the mta buses everyday for school, when you go to magnet schools in dt nash, thats your only choice, they dont have school busses.

Check out my website : http://www.tournashville.net

• 2 weeks later...

I am anxious for the Music City Star to get up and moving too. It's clear to us all that this will be a positive step FORWARD for Nashville and Middle Tennessee. I just wonder if we'll be able to deal with it--socially. Endeavours such as this challenge a rural/suburban-minded culture. People are so accustomed to driving everywhere (and searching/fighting/paying for parking when they arrive).

Maybe rising gasoline prices will provide the necessary impetus to get people off the ever-clogged interstates and onto commuter trains.

Additionally, I pray for the day Nashville proper develops a more extensive and efficient mass transit system. It'd be nice to give commuters and Nashvillians a viable means of traversing the city.

Do you think rising gas costs will really make people consider the bus? It seems to me people will make cuts elsewhere before doing that.

Also, I seem to remember a plan for light rail down West End. Any talk on that or does anyone have a link? I google'd it, but haven't been too successful.

I remember back in the 1970's a subway was proposed! There was also a proposal to have lower broadway under a glass dome and made into an entertainment complex. Back in 1970, Nashville, Davidson County was 450,000 people. We have added over 100,000 since then so it makes a lot of sence to have as much mas transit as possible. It is ashame that a cab ride to the airport from downtown is $20. If we had a MARTA system like Atlanta, it would be $1.50! :lol:

curse the hick politicians who keep us from getting mass transit. remember sundquist's line about how transit helping polution/traffic woes is 'pie in the sky stuff'? unbelievable. dtown to west end/green hills is a prime spot, and metro center would be another one. i work in metro center and there is really just one way in/out for most dtown and interstate traffic. both of those routes would have ready made ridership.