The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Taking a look at the tracks from google maps, it does appear that most of these lines are not part of the main line. Pretty smart. It's too bad that we don't have enough similar tracks to make something like this possible.

Rookzie -- if you don't mind coming out of hibernation for a few minutes, could you remind us which lines in Nashville that this could apply to?

Also, do you think there is any possible way for CSX to fully bypass downtown and utilize the route that runs by Shelby Park (perhaps build a second bridge)? That would open up a decent little network for light rail in the core.

As for Chattanooga,

- The Tennessee Valley Railroad uses a separate rail line than the proposed LRT route(s). The tunnel through missionary ridge would probably not meet codes for LRT

- Are there miles and miles of abandoned tracks there? Yes - there are miles and miles and many more miles of tracks there. But they are mostly light use, but part of the route uses a main line that "comes down the hill" into the downtown area. I'm not an expert on existing rail traffic there, but the proposal seems reasonable. Even the line by the airport is still actively serving local stops. I would assume most of the $35 million would be for loading stations, etc.

As for Nashville,

The trunk line from (Louisville) splits around the Hart Lane overpass in East Nashville (Inglewood?) with one line going through downtown and one over the Shelby Bottoms bridge. Both meet back at Radnor. The wye by the capitol splits for the line to Memphis. So the gulch lines are used for these two plus some switching/holding. But the line by the Gulch also directly connects to the Chattanooga/Atlanta line (which is the busiest line here). Could CSX abandon the Gulch area? hmmmmm.......

Taking a look at the tracks from google maps, it does appear that most of these lines are not part of the main line. Pretty smart. It's too bad that we don't have enough similar tracks to make something like this possible.

Rookzie -- if you don't mind coming out of hibernation for a few minutes, could you remind us which lines in Nashville that this could apply to?

Also, do you think there is any possible way for CSX to fully bypass downtown and utilize the route that runs by Shelby Park (perhaps build a second bridge)? That would open up a decent little network for light rail in the core.

As for Chattanooga,

- The Tennessee Valley Railroad uses a separate rail line than the proposed LRT route(s). The tunnel through missionary ridge would probably not meet codes for LRT

- Are there miles and miles of abandoned tracks there? Yes - there are miles and miles and many more miles of tracks there. But they are mostly light use, but part of the route uses a main line that "comes down the hill" into the downtown area. I'm not an expert on existing rail traffic there, but the proposal seems reasonable. Even the line by the airport is still actively serving local stops. I would assume most of the $35 million would be for loading stations, etc.

As for Nashville,

The trunk line from (Louisville) splits around the Hart Lane overpass in East Nashville (Inglewood?) with one line going through downtown and one over the Shelby Bottoms bridge. Both meet back at Radnor. The wye by the capitol splits for the line to Memphis. So the gulch lines are used for these two plus some switching/holding. But the line by the Gulch also directly connects to the Chattanooga/Atlanta line (which is the busiest line here). Could CSX abandon the Gulch area? hmmmmm.......

UTgrad09, farm_boy is on track (tacky pun) with his response.  Historically, as rotten, stinkin’, and filthy a town as Chattanooga used to be ─ once being a sort of “Pittsburgh” with the airborne effluents from its pipe factory, other numerous foundries and factories in the southeastern Tennessee River Valley, Choo has morphed into a rather decent Southern Appalachian town (just as has Asheville, NC, IMO) .  Back then in fact, even though it was smaller, Chootown had a higher concentration of “smokestack” industries, than its capital sister of Nashville, during the first half of the 20th century.  Of course when I was born, both Choo and Nashville were just downright dirty towns, period, especially during the winters, with coal being overwhelmingly the predominant source of energy for industrial processing and for both institutional and residential heating.  The smog and soot was so bad, even when I had been a young boy, that I remember one of my friend’s mother rushing outside to remove the clothes from the line, before the train lumbered by, because of all that particulate matter from steady solid columns of black smoke spewing from the steam locomotives, still in frequent use back then, especially between downtown Nashville and the engine shop and roundhouse next to Charlotte Ave and Centennial Park. (that stuff would even get into your eyes, if you weren’t careful)  I think that back then, Chootown probably had been even more polluted, because it had far more railroad activity than Nashville and because Choo sat nestled in that part of the Tennessee Valley in the mountains.

Back to the point, even back then, Chootown had far more route-miles of trackage than did Nashville.  Today at least two primary factors translate into “advantages” of potential for light rail, especially if it can be incorporated as large percentage of a near-future comprehensive transit plan.  The dynamics of urban development and graphic layout seem to have had a role in the recent ripening vision, conceivable of repurposing little-used but extensive expanse of trackage in Hamilton Co.   Nashville’s accelerated focus and dependence on economic development largely has transpired, such that its urban sprawl (one of the worse in the nation), rampantly limited street accessibility (by outdated mid-century residential sub-division layout, and fragmentation by expressway roadway construction throughout), and to an extent its north-central geographic regional location (with respect to all forms of externally extending ground transportation lines),  all combined have left the city as a relatively large metropolitan area, far surpassing itself in terms of reasonably alternative forms of mobility.

While traffic does really suck in Chattanooga, which is rated as a medium-sized but highly-sprawled metro area as well (although not consolidated), its development has not yet caught up with its size, and as such this leaves a greater of latitude for city planners to realistically consider such a proposed LRT initiative as tenable, before it becomes far too late.  Another factor which cannot be overlooked is that Chootown has the presence of two, not one, of the nation’s seven Class-1 railroads, one of which is the firm with which I had been employed for 10 years – Norfolk Southern (or the “NS”, the 1981 merger of the Norfolk & Western RR and the Southern Ry) – an enterprise which is recognized as being generally “passenger-rail” friendly, as opposed to CSX, as a whole.  The overwhelming majority of Chattanooga’s preliminary proposal consists of NS trackage, or former NS trackage.

As farm_boy stated, Choo has many, many miles of railway tracks, and it has many route-miles as well, let alone rail yards.  And in fact Chootown has always had far more route-miles (distinctly separate paths) of urban trackage than Nashville, even when counting Nashville east- and west bank industrial and Cockrill Bend Industrial.  Much of that Chattanooga trackage remains to this day, having been maintained for compliance even for occasional light industrial use.  The northeasterly branch to Enterprise South would follow the NS line toward Cleveland, Sweetwater, and Knoxville, much of which is considered in heavy mainline freight use.

Some Chattanoogans have been aware of the high probability of the restoration of intercity passenger rail service between DC and Memphis, via Lynchburg and Roanoke, Va., Bristol, Knoxville, Choo, and Huntsville -  Decatur - Florence, Ala., in the “possible” foreseeable future.   This line has not seen such service since 1968, when Southern Ry. was allowed to discontinue the Memphis run by cutting it back to Bristol, before it was totally cancelled in 1971 during Amtrak takeover.  The reason that this route is being considered for Amtrak is that it would help to restore long-lost east-to-west travel across the nation’s mid-section, even though it would end in Memphis, where Chicago-Nola service has always existed (rather, was never fully foregone).  This line is completely NS, and the NS could be amenable to the addition of such service, just as it has been cooperative with the recent instituting of service between Norfolk and Lynchburg on to DC, during 2012.  This effectively would restore service to the top 4 Tenn. cities except of course Nashville.  In all this general sentiment about passenger service in that region as a whole tends to engender a favorable environment for light rail, even in a city the size of Chattanooga, especially with its proximity to Atlanta.  I would hope that the planners would add to the proposal the intent to utilize the north-northeast NS main, paralleling US-27, through Soddy Daisy (a rail route toward Dayton, Rockwood, Harriman, Lexington and Cincinnati).

All this about Chattanooga tends to explain the at least lukewarm reception to the concept of LRT, and the region does have the infrastructure to accommodate both LRT and intercity service, despite the presence of CSX, as Choo primarily is NS territory.   Nashville, on the other hand, is a CSX bastion, or monopoly, which of course is one major count against affordable (or even reasonably attainable) LRT in Davidson Co.  Also, Nashville is not even close to having  sizable redundancy of urban rail crisscrossing, as does Choo, and Choo has managed to hold onto its interconnected urban rail trackage as an asset which has been left mostly intact, despite blooming economic development.  Therefore, at least Chattanoogans have something of a baseline to work with.  They also seem to be on the verge of aiming for a much more ambitious undertaking than what the AMP BRT represents.  As stated in my previous announcement, the price tag likely is a bit over-optimistic, but such expectation of large awards from the FTA is not uncommon for the magnitude of the proposal.  Additionally, unlike the AMP, and as nashville_bound has noted, the project would not utilize any state-highway R.o.W., and from what has been released, there has been no mention (yet) of any sizable request of support from the state.  What the Chattanooga city council should do is to play the cards with an open spread with the public and garner support to shoot for a grant application, and then take the money and run, if given the opportunity and general public support.

On the other hand, Nashville has very little capability for alternate routing of existing CSX freights.   As farm_boy stated, while the CSX main split at Inglewood, which passes across Shelby Bottoms (a line known as the “Radnor Cutoff”), could and does provide a direct freight route between Radnor and the North (with a second diverging at Nesbitt Lane [Amqui] toward Springfield, Guthrie, and Evansville [Henderson Sub-division], and toward Gallatin and Bowling Green [Louisville Sub-division), trains from the North also are routed downtown through Kayne Ave. yard (the Gulch), either for run-throughs south to the Chattanooga Sub-div, the South and North Alabama (S&NA) Sub-div from Brentwood due south into Alabama, the Nashville Sub-div to Spring Hill and Columbia, or termination at the south end of Radnor yard (Nashville Terminal).  The downtown run-through provides a badly needed path to the south end of Radnor yard, without having to pass through the congested yard from the north via the Radnor Cutoff.  Many automobile rack cars are handed at the south end of Radnor, and the yardmasters often juggle traffic into and out of both ends of Radnor to deal with this congestion.  Also, as farm_boy indicated, is the downtown wye at Charlotte near 10th, where the north end of Kayne Ave yard splits toward Inglewood and toward Memphis (Bruceton Sub-div).  So the downtown run-around is needed primarily to divert all through freights from the five local sub-divisions away from Radnor.

None of this speaks favorably for light rail on the cheap (or even longer-distance commuter-rail as the MC Star).  So far Nashville is fortunate only with the NERR (Nashville & Eastern) the short line which hosts the current Lebanon - Riverfront MCS.  Otherwise the only “promising” little used trackage is the NWRR (owned by the NERR) on the northwest side to Ashland City and Clarksville.  In an earlier post, I already have detailed the possibility of that line, which is assumed to be the most likely candidate for any “next” additional rail service in the region (based on cost), but even this branch is dismantled past Ashland City and would require extensive rehab of what remains.  As you probably realize, the “Southern Junction” NERR-CSX connector along Craighead Ave. doesn’t really go anywhere of value.   Of course, though, the current option-set on the table is a far cry from the more warrantable (and perhaps timely) plan of Chattanooga.

-=rr=-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

I have just edited my post above, because in being delirious last night dealing with a cold and a mild case of bronchitis, I left out a huge block of content from the beginning of my post.  A while ago I started off-line drafts before submitting, after a few bad clicks made me lose an entire hour of thought.

You know my posts, when it comes to trains, and I wondered why my post seemed a bit "anemic" and somewhat starting off in the "middle".

-=rr=-

1/4 the cost of the proposed AMP and no dedicate lanes?????? Sign me up....

Sometimes you have to work with what you have. IF Nashville had existing rail lines that ran through town (CSX wont share the lines that do), I am sure we would just upgrade them and have rail. Since we do not have that option, building new rail lines would cost about 4x as much as The Amp (I'm guessing around $800 MM at least...). That is too expensive, especially just to satisfy the desires of those not wanting to give up two lanes on a portion of one street in Nashville. 

rookzie makes excellent points, as always!!

The line from Chattanooga also "splits" with for the purpose of bypassing Radnor. This is the line that passes by the Zoo. And yes, CSX is a #%$#^&!!! But the rail lines through Nashville are rather congested, primarily the Chat. and Lou. lines. CSX could not afford to share tracks due to the congestion .... and liability.

Commuter rail to Clarksville makes the most sense; but that line has been abandoned so long, it would require a complete rebuild. Also, not sure if the right of way still exists for this line because it has been removed in a few locations

However, to UTgrad09 question .... IF and I mean a BIG HUGE IF .... the line to Memphis was re-routed to come into Radnor from the south .... then an additional line could possibly parallel the line over Shelby Bottoms .... then the Gulch and the downtown wye could be abandoned. IF you can convince the fine folks south of Brentwood they need a new rail line from Memphis in their front yard.

I thought UT grad was an oxymoron???? Hahahaha!!! Just joking!!!!

• Like 1

Commuter rail to Clarksville makes the most sense; but that line has been abandoned so long, it would require a complete rebuild. Also, not sure if the right of way still exists for this line because it has been removed in a few locations

However, to UTgrad09 question .... IF and I mean a BIG HUGE IF .... the line to Memphis was re-routed to come into Radnor from the south .... then an additional line could possibly parallel the line over Shelby Bottoms .... then the Gulch and the downtown wye could be abandoned. IF you can convince the fine folks south of Brentwood they need a new rail line from Memphis in their front yard.

I thought UT grad was an oxymoron???? Hahahaha!!! Just joking!!!!

I know that commuter rail to Clarksville has been studied (either with routing it NE to Guthrie, KY then through Springfield, OR rehabbing/building track from Ashland City), and that would be an interesting development. However, as of now, it doesn't make a ton of sense as Clarksville/Montgomery County don't have the commuter numbers to justify a line. I can say I've noticed an increase in Montgomery County cars in Nashville, but the last time I checked, the number of commuters to Davidson County was around 5,000 -- or less than 1/5 of Williamson, Rutherford, or Sumner. 

As for the second part -- that's exactly what I am talking about. Yes, I realize it's probably pie-in-the-sky, but it never hurts to have an ambitious plan, especially when you can see what the future is bringing. If we wait 20-30 years, I doubt there will be much room to reroute any of the railroads. 

I know that the CSX lines are running at or close to full capacity in a lot of areas. My idea would be to double track the Chattanooga line at least to Murfreesboro (and perhaps triple track in certain areas that allow for it -- for siding). Build a direct "ramp" from that line onto the bypass track through Shelby Park. Build a second RR bridge at the Cumberland River (two tracks, if possible), and if necessary, build a small switching yard (to replace Kayne) somewhere on the north side -- perhaps around Madison or Hendersonville. And perhaps a southern bypass could be accomplished by running near the ROW provided by SR 840, and reconnect in Dickson.

Again -- pie-in-the-sky. But I'm always thinking.

And don't you have some cows to milk, farm_boy? :shades:

So we will essentially hve BRT Lite on all of our Pike corridors Murfreesboro pk, Gallatin pk, Nolensville pk, Charlotte pk (except for Clarksville pk - which ridership doesnt warrant one).

Most of the BRT Lite buses I see are pretty packed.

Interesting idea allowing MTA buses free of charge for all school students.  I wonder what was the logic behind his proposal. I know it is currently reduced fare for students, but I wonder how this would impact ridership and/or revenue. The money spent making MTA free for students could be used for the AMP, which he has yet to discuss funding.

I think it should be a reduced fare, but definitely not "free".

From the Tennessean:

"The mayor said his budget proposal, which he is releasing today, would include additional BRT Lite lines — essentially express bus lines — down Charlotte Avenue and Nolensville Road, essentially express bus lines. He also proposed making Metro Transit Authority buses free of charge for all Nashville public school students."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/30/mayor-karl-dean-includes-pre-k-elderly-care-vision/8513703/

• Like 1

So we will essentially hve BRT Lite on all of our Pike corridors Murfreesboro pk, Gallatin pk, Nolensville pk, Charlotte pk (except for Clarksville pk - which ridership doesnt warrant one).

Don't forget Lebanon Pike, Dickerson Pike, 8th/Franklin Road, and especially Hillsboro Pike.  You may be right that Clarksville Pike and White's Creek Pike may not have sufficient riderships to warrant a BRT Lite.

The Mayor's proposal definitely chaps my A$$..

"... The mayor said his budget proposal, which he is releasing today, would include additional BRT Lite lines — essentially express bus lines — down Charlotte Avenue and Nolensville Road, essentially express bus lines. He also proposed making Metro Transit Authority buses free of charge for all Nashville public school students."

I do not believe the service should be free to anyone, but if you are going to make it free for Metro students it should be free for ALL students....public, private, parochial, home-schooled...

"... The mayor said his budget proposal, which he is releasing today, would include additional BRT Lite lines — essentially express bus lines — down Charlotte Avenue and Nolensville Road, essentially express bus lines. He also proposed making Metro Transit Authority buses free of charge for all Nashville public school students."

I do not believe the service should be free to anyone, but if you are going to make it free for Metro students it should be free for ALL students....public, private, parochial, home-schooled...

I actually think that MTA bus fare cards are already given out free to MNPS students who are on free or reduced lunches.  That demographic accounts for 90-95% of the students attending East Nashville's zoned schools.  So perhaps the move toward free bus rides for all school children is not a huge jump anyway.

I would tend to agree with you in most circumstances, but these kids are already receiving free transportation from the school system anyway (unless they live close enough to school to be able to walk). They aren't going to cost MTA any additional money, and we might be able to save on school bus costs down the road by decreasing those routes that can be served better by MTA routes. 

A couple of points....

1) Metro students currently pay a discounted fare so yes it will cost the MTA money.

2) There will be no reduction in bus service because the students currently receiving the discounted fares do not have regular bus service. They are attending open zone, out of zone, or magnet schools and transpiration is not provided by MNPS.

3) And this is the big one.... is the mayor just proposing free MTA service for public school kids to and from their schools? The story did not reference this condition on the free service. If not WTF...

I would tend to agree with you in most circumstances, but these kids are already receiving free transportation from the school system anyway (unless they live close enough to school to be able to walk). They aren't going to cost MTA any additional money, and we might be able to save on school bus costs down the road by decreasing those routes that can be served better by MTA routes. 

Most of the BRT Lite buses I see are pretty packed.

Interesting idea allowing MTA buses free of charge for all school students.  I wonder what was the logic behind his proposal. I know it is currently reduced fare for students, but I wonder how this would impact ridership and/or revenue. The money spent making MTA free for students could be used for the AMP, which he has yet to discuss funding.

I think it should be a reduced fare, but definitely not "free".

From the Tennessean:

"The mayor said his budget proposal, which he is releasing today, would include additional BRT Lite lines — essentially express bus lines — down Charlotte Avenue and Nolensville Road, essentially express bus lines. He also proposed making Metro Transit Authority buses free of charge for all Nashville public school students."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/30/mayor-karl-dean-includes-pre-k-elderly-care-vision/8513703/

My guess is that the logic behind it is to get students used to the idea that public transit is not dangerous and not something they should shy away from so that when they get older, they will continue to use the service (but pay for it).

I can tell you this -- I rode the city bus as a student at the reduced fare. The fare wasn't a big deal, to be honest...so I can see where you are coming from. But perhaps with no fare they are hoping that even more students will use it (I don't know how well that will work). I can say, though, that as someone that grew up in suburban Nashville, my experiences on the bus changed my perception a bit about what public transit is all about. While I don't use the bus today (because it is not convenient to any point to point destinations that I need to go), I am certainly open to the idea if it made sense to my situation. If I hadn't had the experience as a student, then I probably wouldn't think about it at all -- or would avoid it simply because of the 'unknown' factor and lack of familiarity. So maybe that is their angle -- involve more young riders so that public transit is more popular in the future.

• Like 4

I know that commuter rail to Clarksville has been studied (either with routing it NE to Guthrie, KY then through Springfield, OR rehabbing/building track from Ashland City), and that would be an interesting development. However, as of now, it doesn't make a ton of sense as Clarksville/Montgomery County don't have the commuter numbers to justify a line. I can say I've noticed an increase in Montgomery County cars in Nashville, but the last time I checked, the number of commuters to Davidson County was around 5,000 -- or less than 1/5 of Williamson, Rutherford, or Sumner. 

As for the second part -- that's exactly what I am talking about. Yes, I realize it's probably pie-in-the-sky, but it never hurts to have an ambitious plan, especially when you can see what the future is bringing. If we wait 20-30 years, I doubt there will be much room to reroute any of the railroads. 

I know that the CSX lines are running at or close to full capacity in a lot of areas. My idea would be to double track the Chattanooga line at least to Murfreesboro (and perhaps triple track in certain areas that allow for it -- for siding). Build a direct "ramp" from that line onto the bypass track through Shelby Park. Build a second RR bridge at the Cumberland River (two tracks, if possible), and if necessary, build a small switching yard (to replace Kayne) somewhere on the north side -- perhaps around Madison or Hendersonville. And perhaps a southern bypass could be accomplished by running near the ROW provided by SR 840, and reconnect in Dickson.

Again -- pie-in-the-sky. But I'm always thinking.

And don't you have some cows to milk, farm_boy? :shades:

I've spent more than 'nuff time on I-24 to know a bunch of folks commute from Clarksville. However, I guess your numbers make sense. There are a lot more commuters from Wilson/Rutherford/Williamson

Unfortunately, the "logical" route for connecting the Memphis line to south of Radnor would take it up the Harpeth valley through the heart of Brentwood. Good luck with that. As for using ROW on 840, the terrain is OMG and would cross the Natchez Trace. Again, good luck with that. But, we can dream

I heard some talk about double track the remaining portion of the line between Nash and Murf, but once again CSX #%@$^ ..........

cows ta feed, corn ta plant, but no milk cow since high school. But it is nice ta know your UT teach you about farm animals. Bwahahahahhaa!!! Again, just joking!!!

That would be UT Martin. :thumbsup:

Knoxville shut theirs down to build that huge materials center!  But the vet school is there.  Just got a new large animal extension!!

I've spent more than 'nuff time on I-24 to know a bunch of folks commute from Clarksville. However, I guess your numbers make sense. There are a lot more commuters from Wilson/Rutherford/Williamson

Unfortunately, the "logical" route for connecting the Memphis line to south of Radnor would take it up the Harpeth valley through the heart of Brentwood. Good luck with that. As for using ROW on 840, the terrain is OMG and would cross the Natchez Trace. Again, good luck with that. But, we can dream

I heard some talk about double track the remaining portion of the line between Nash and Murf, but once again CSX #%@$^ ..........

cows ta feed, corn ta plant, but no milk cow since high school. But it is nice ta know your UT teach you about farm animals. Bwahahahahhaa!!! Again, just joking!!!

I know someone who ended up with a job in Hopkinsville, KY.  Commutes from just south of Hickory Hollow to there.  I still don't know how he does it!  For the past ~4+ years!  It'd be cool if there was a line and he could ride it "in reverse" from Nashville to Clarksville, then back.  I think we'd be surprised at how many people could benefit from this line.

Also, I've got some good discussion since I've been here in FL.  Orlando just opened up their commuter rail yesterday, Sunrail.  1) It seems they paid to double track it with a CSX line 2) It is free for now and they had to deny people to ride!

Miami has Tri-rail which runs up to West Palm Beach.  All Aboard is a privately funded "high speed" train service to run from Orlando to Miami (and eventually Tampa) to open in 2016.  Miami also has some other things, like a "people mover."  Hopefully, I can discuss in detail at some point!  Maybe Mr. Ricky has some knowledge about the tracks in this area. 

• Like 1

Also, I've got some good discussion since I've been here in FL.  Orlando just opened up their commuter rail yesterday, Sunrail.  1) It seems they paid to double track it with a CSX line 2) It is free for now and they had to deny people to ride!

Miami has Tri-rail which runs up to West Palm Beach.  All Aboard is a privately funded "high speed" train service to run from Orlando to Miami (and eventually Tampa) to open in 2016.  Miami also has some other things, like a "people mover."  Hopefully, I can discuss in detail at some point!  Maybe Mr. Ricky has some knowledge about the tracks in this area. 

I might have something to add ─ I just might.   Yes, I've been aware of SunRail, Tri-Rail, and the All-Board Florida project, as well.

But first I have to get re-oriented, after just returning from burying a close relative in DC, the last 3 days ─ an uncle who indirectly had much to do with my distant past history of inter-city rail, trolley, and subway rides.

-=rr=-

• Like 1

I might have something to add ─ I just might.   Yes, I've been aware of SunRail, Tri-Rail, and the All-Board Florida project, as well.

But first I have to get re-oriented, after just returning from burying a close relative in DC, the last 3 days ─ an uncle who indirectly had much to do with my distant past history of inter-city rail, trolley, and subway rides.

-=rr=-

Sorry to hear that, Rookzie.  My condolences.

• Like 1

-=rr=-

Sorry to hear that Ricky. I am sure will pass that legacy along to someone else too.

• Like 1