The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I personally am outraged by the way our city/state/country doesn't give a hoot about mass transit, yet I also understand that I am in a major minority. Until something happens I guess I have no choice but to pay two-whatever per gallon, drive on our roads and watch trillions of dollars be paved, torn up, and paved all over again.

sorry for the rant

P.S.-- I suddenly realize how sad it is that I have just done this on a friday night. :cry: Cheers!

I feel your pain...simply because I share the same feelings. This country needs to provide other options for transportation, rather than continuing to put all their "eggs" into the same basket. It will take a real shortage of gas and deisel fuel and the resulting $10 per gallon for gas the get the country to realize this fact. By then, it may be too late.

Took my first ride on the MCS Friday afternoon and it was a lot of fun. Made it to Mt. Juliet in less than half an hour while listening to traffic reports of deadlock on I-40 eastbound.

Anyway, the conductor announced that on Thursday and Friday nights (starting soon), they would be running a "night train" leaving Lebanon around 6:00 and returning around 10:00 (give or take - I don't remember the exact timeframes). Sounds like a good opportunity for some folks in the eastern suburbs to ride in, have dinner and perhaps catch a show, and ride back. The good news is that it's another expansion of the service. Hopefully it will continue to be a success.

Took my first ride on the MCS Friday afternoon and it was a lot of fun. Made it to Mt. Juliet in less than half an hour while listening to traffic reports of deadlock on I-40 eastbound.

Anyway, the conductor announced that on Thursday and Friday nights (starting soon), they would be running a "night train" leaving Lebanon around 6:00 and returning around 10:00 (give or take - I don't remember the exact timeframes). Sounds like a good opportunity for some folks in the eastern suburbs to ride in, have dinner and perhaps catch a show, and ride back. The good news is that it's another expansion of the service. Hopefully it will continue to be a success.

Wow, great news! Were there alot of other people on the train with you?

Wow, great news! Were there alot of other people on the train with you?

I took the earliest train out (4:20), so it wasn't very crowded - probably 20 people in my section and the same in the other sections. However, the parking lots at all of the stations were pretty full, so I assume that the later trains are more crowded. After experiencing the convenience of the MCS first-hand, if I lived on the east side of town, I'd definitely ride it as much as my schedule would allow.

Is there a consensus on which line of the MCS will be implemented next (making the brave assumption that there will be a next line at all)? Have any feasibility studies or other steps been taken for any of the other lines? I know there are significant hurdles to overcome regarding track access, city/county/federal funding, etc. for all of the lines, but I wonder if any progress has been made.

Any bets on a timeframe for the other lines? 2-5 yrs? 5-10 yrs?

Is there a consensus on which line of the MCS will be implemented next (making the brave assumption that there will be a next line at all)? Have any feasibility studies or other steps been taken for any of the other lines? I know there are significant hurdles to overcome regarding track access, city/county/federal funding, etc. for all of the lines, but I wonder if any progress has been made.

Any bets on a timeframe for the other lines? 2-5 yrs? 5-10 yrs?

There is an ongoing southeastern (murfreesboro) alignment feasability study. The best bet is 5-7 years. As discussed before though, most likely BRT.

Have you been to Lebanon? Some souvenir t-shirts from Jim Bob's Western-Wear Emporium & Fur-Cap Depot on Lower Broad would be like a freakin' Festivus miracle for the boys and bears of Lebanontown.

LOL!!! Nothing beats the Bail Bonds T-shirts you can get in East Nashville. I am still searching for those.

Here's today's article about the special even Titans train.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/611130352

I am glad to see that they met their operating expenses. Does that mean the extra 75 were pure profit? If so, the public burden to this project is ever diminishing :D .

I'm so glad that it was successful! That is really great, and I hope they get trains going for some Preds games. I really get a kick out of reading the comments on the stories about the train on the Tennessean's website. Some of those folks REALLY hate the train for some reason. I don't really understand why it seems like a lot of people have like, a personal grudge against the train, and mass transit in general.

I'm so glad that it was successful! That is really great, and I hope they get trains going for some Preds games. I really get a kick out of reading the comments on the stories about the train on the Tennessean's website. Some of those folks REALLY hate the train for some reason. I don't really understand why it seems like a lot of people have like, a personal grudge against the train, and mass transit in general.

I think it's because they've almost literally been brainwashed into thinking that any form of mass transit is subsidy for poor people. People like that have already convinced themselves that they will never use it without ever having any experience with it. Then of course they don't bat an eyelash when ten times more money is dropped to widen an already wide expressway.

• 4 weeks later...

From the NBJ this week. Bus routes to be added between Nashville and the Boro.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...ml?surround=lfn

At least the article says there is still a chance for light/commuter rail to connect the Boro and Nashville. I'm still pretty disappointed that they are prioritising bus though...

Well, it's not the dream system I want, but this is still great news. It's an incredible step from what is currently avaliable. The 96x express bus is currently the only bus that serves all of Rutherford county, and it simply goes straight down Murfreesboro Rd. from Deadrick St. to MTSU. FYI, it is jam-packed! The dedicated lanes sound expensive, but needed. I still believe that circulator buses to a commuter rail line is the most practical thing, but most people probably think one single extra bus in service would be "stealing tax money for poor people."

Any word on when this will begin? I'd like to know more.