The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

11 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

On the light rail lines have they decided where the stops will be? Any idea approx how many stops there will be on the Gallatin/Murfreesboro/Nolensville lines?

I've been looking for the same thing on all the lines, but so far - no dice. I'm thinking it's just not out there yet.  Maybe when the individual neighborhood transit meetings occur we can find out...?

• Like 1

The Nashville Western line stops at the dump in Ashland City at Thompson Rd., and then I think there is unused track to TN Waltz Parkway.  It picks up again thru the State Water Heater plant and then discontinues again in town. Then track I believe has been pulled up. The old RR Bed picks up on Chapmansboro Rd. and continues as Cumberland River Bicentennial Trail to the Cheatham Dam. From there I am unsure of the status.

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎28 at 9:16 AM, smeagolsfree said:

The old RR Bed picks up on Chapmansboro Rd. and continues as Cumberland River Bicentennial Trail to the Cheatham Dam. From there I am unsure of the status.

The right-of-way and the subgrade remain for the most part, but in some areas it looks like the adjacent property owners have taken it over, either de jure or de facto. It stays pretty intact up to the Lowe's in Clarksville on Madison Street, then it drops off.

Ideally the rail line (if selected) would get all the way to a new Clarksville transit center, wherever that ends up being. But it's tough going once you get into Clarksville proper.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

The right-of-way and the subgrade remain for the most part, but in some areas it looks like the adjacent property owners have taken it over, either de jure or de facto. It stays pretty intact up to the Lowe's in Clarksville on Madison Street, then it drops off.

Ideally the rail line (if selected) would get all the way to a new Clarksville transit center, wherever that ends up being. But it's tough going once you get into Clarksville proper.

I know that many in Clarksville, especially important people at Ft. Campbell, have been pushing for a transit line to Nashville for many years, especially since the completion of the Music City Star from Lebanon. Several Lebanon officials met with the Clarksville mayor and county mayor years ago to "trade ideas" but it never came to fruition. From what I've heard, the Clarksville mayor, Kim McMillan, has been so stagnantly against development of any kind in Clarksville, that it took a meeting with several state senators urging her not to run for reelection to convince her otherwise. Now, several "big" (big for Clarksville) developments are in the works for downtown Clarksville, including FINALLY allowing Austin Peay State University to expand beyond it's borders. Maybe next up could be a transit line from Ft. Campbell right at the Kentucky border, to Nashville??

• Like 4

11 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Maybe next up could be a transit line from Ft. Campbell right at the Kentucky border, to Nashville??

From Clarksville to Fort Campbell is about as bad as heading into Clarksville from the Lowe's, and about three times as long to boot. There are a lot of residential subdivisions that have built on the original right-of-way. The Clarksville Greenway is also built over part of it, kind of like the Bicentennial Trail north of Ashland City.

The line (which I'm told was once part of the Cumberland and Pennsylvania (?) Railroad) is also really circuitous, I guess they were following the Red River west fork or whatever it's called.

In any case if you go to Fort Campbell you may as well head on to Hopkinsville, where apparently a lot of Nashville commuters live. The good news is, there's already a rail line that connects Hopkinsville and Fort Campbell, maintained and running through farms with no development in sight. Bad news is, it's owned by... CSX. Whomp whomp.