The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

State Representative, Republican Beth Harwell's brother-in-law (and author) Jim Harwell is the money man behind this group.  He's a VOCAL opponent of Mayor Barry and isn't afraid to let you know it according to his facebook.   Ask to see their books and they'll block you on their facebook page.  I asked for transparency with their "volunteer" funding and they blocked me.

Great research... thanks for sharing.  That is pretty sad on their part, especially since a 'lack of transparency' is probably one of their criticisms of Mayor Barry.  

That's sad, if we're going to compete with other major southern cities, a mass transit system is needed. Unless we widen the main interstates that contains heavy traffic. Similar to Dallas and Fort worth, but we'll still need a transit system regardless.  Even though Dallas still has crappy traffic, the infrastructure isn't that bad. It's somewhat better than "ATL", just a little. Speaking of interstates and highways we can implement a toll way system for I-24 and I-65. Meanwhile we could build an elevated highway in conjunction with the toll way.  Having an outer 440 would  be nice too. It can connect with the toll ways, old 440, and the elevated highways for I-65 N/S and I-24. But, I'm not a civil engineer, just a lowly mechanical engineer.  :tw_bawling:

Edited by MagicPotato
  • Like 1

this is rich....

Beth may or may not be elected Gov. of our great state, but she is definitely a leader. 

15 hours ago, samsonh said:

Beth Harwell will never advance beyond her current position. She’s not a leader.

its a shame that the mayor’s personal issues could throw this thing off. Mass transit is needed in this town, and everyone who goes anywhere knows it. You can plan or you can bury your head in the sand. We know how 1/3 or this forum feels, the rest of us would like to move ahead and build a better system. 

5 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Why are there no commercials promoting the transit plan in a positive light? People are afraid of the cost, but I haven't seen anything to ease voter's minds about this plan. Even the advertising that is done to promote it only talks about the horrible traffic problem,  but I don't think that's enough to convince people to vote in favor of this plan. Someone needs to discuss cost on a per capita basis. 

This is true.  All I have seen on TV is anti-transit commercials.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, japan said:

This is true.  All I have seen on TV is anti-transit commercials.

Yeah what’s up with that? Is it a money issue or just incompetent public affairs?

5 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

A few pics from tonight's Transit Mixer at Woolworths on 5th

Any new info or interesting tidbits?

I am confused and it's obviously early in the process but there would be two separate lines on 2nd and 4th?

Why? The explanation doesn't really, help, maybe other than it's because of the railroad crossings?

How does a light rail split and then rejoin? Entering and leaving town, but I don't see that on any of the other lines, seems unnecessarily complex.

"The 6-mile Nolensville Pike LRT Corridor (see Figure 17) proceeds southeast on Lafayette Street for a short distance from the proposed SoBro Transit Center. From Lafayette Street, the alignment splits into a single-track southbound alignment on 4th Avenue, and a single-track northbound alignment on 2nd Avenue. Where these two merge to the south as Nolensville Pike, the LRT proceeds further southeast until it terminates at a proposed transit center and park-and-ride facility near Harding Place. "

Also

"A new LRT overpass will provide grade separation with the railroad crossing at Hart Street/Houston Street on 4th Avenue. The railroad bridge over 2nd Avenue/Ensley Boulevard will be replaced to accommodate LRT tracks.
"

Thank god, that bridge on 2nd is a death trap, every time I drive through it I wonder if this is the time.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 9.31.09 AM.png

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

I am confused and it's obviously early in the process but there would be two separate lines on 2nd and 4th?

Why? The explanation doesn't really, help, maybe other than it's because of the railroad crossings?

Since 2nd and 4th are a one-way pair, it's easier on traffic to take one lane on each roadway for LRT than two lanes on a single roadway, as the latter would leave an unbalanced number of lanes in one direction.

It's also better for LRT to run in the direction of vehicular traffic, especially on a one-way street. It helps the phasing of traffic signals, for example. There's also safety to consider; you don't want people exiting a side street or a driveway, who are accustomed to watching for traffic from one direction, to get splattered by a train going the "wrong" way.

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

How does a light rail split and then rejoin? Entering and leaving town, but I don't see that on any of the other lines, seems unnecessarily complex.

Same way all other rail vehicles do it? A switch flush with the pavement surface. It's not that big of a deal to install.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

The opposition has deep pockets - Kochs, Beeman etc...

So does the pro-transit forces, with all the local business powers in support of it. It doesn’t take Koch money to pay for local tv spots. I think they’re just getting beat in PR, or maybe they think their ground game is good enough to where they don’t need to advertise. 

• Like 1

Haven't seen any polls recently, but bad as it looks for Barry -- and it's looking worse and worse -- nevertheless her approval rating is quite robust. So, seems to me that if the transit vote is a referendum on Barry, this thing should pass handily. On the other hand, the Barry faithful might say, "We love you, but not so much your cause celebre." Thoughts ?