The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

16 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Her approval rating was I believe done before the nude photos report was made public. 

I mean, you're probably right that there are people out there who would be swayed by that for whatever reason, but if people already know she was having an affair I'm not sure why they'd be surprised that her and her lover also saw each other naked... shouldn't that kind of be assumed?  haha

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I mean, you're probably right that there are people out there who would be swayed by that for whatever reason, but if people already know she was having an affair I'm not sure why they'd be surprised that her and her lover also saw each other naked... shouldn't that kind of be assumed?  haha

It was the fact that the head of security logged in for OT at 330pm and the pictures were taken at 337pm. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Haven't seen any polls recently, but bad as it looks for Barry -- and it's looking worse and worse -- nevertheless her approval rating is quite robust. So, seems to me that if the transit vote is a referendum on Barry, this thing should pass handily. On the other hand, the Barry faithful might say, "We love you, but not so much your cause celebre." Thoughts ?

Her approval rating is still good but the transit referendum was always going to be close and losing 10-15% of her support could be a difference maker, even with a 60% approval rating. And like @nashvylle says, the rating was taken before the most recent photo controversy. I’m kind of in an unusual grouping because I’ve never been a fan of Barry but I’m pro her transit plan. I’m in favor of whatever action makes the plan passing more likely, and I think that action would be the mayor resigning. This isn’t partisan either - I know whoever steps up afterwards is basically going to have her politics but without the stain of the affair controversy. I don’t have any delusions of some conservative swooping in and winning a special election or something - that ain’t going to happen and I know it. I just want strong, uncompromised leadership for what is going to be a crucial few years for our city. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dale said:

In other words, in her stubbornness, she may take Nashville's future down with her ?

That may be a little strong, but I think it could set us back 5-10 years, or whenever another large-scale transit plan gets put forward (which could take more than a decade if the political enthusiasm for transit is set back because of demoralization). I don’t think we’ll be Youngstown, Ohio if she doesn’t resign and if the plan doesn’t pass, but I think we’ll tread water for years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dale said:

In other words, in her stubbornness, she may take Nashville's future down with her ?

Her poor personal choices should not impact one’s view of this project. I realize many do not understand the funding mechanisms( Park Ave) but the effects of this project even if started today wouldn’t really be felt for many years. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, samsonh said:

Her poor personal choices should not impact one’s view of this project. I realize many do not understand the funding mechanisms( Park Ave) but the effects of this project even if started today wouldn’t really be felt for many years. 

Her poor choices don't affect my views of the project, but unfortunately it will hurt the chances of this passing.  I'd like her to stay as mayor, but I think she is passing the point of no return.

I support the project, but I know a lot who don't and a lot on the fence. For many, all you have to do is say "raises taxes" and that's it. The people coming to this site are a lot better informed than the average Nashvillian and not everyone here is in favor.

Is there a way to do a poll on this site? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, samsonh said:

This is actually something I’m in complete agreement with you, @samsonh. I don’t think her choices should affect the transit vote, but I also think it will. And this plan gives remarkable value for such a low cost to your average taxpayer. 

• Like 3

^ I have not heard anyone state a 'Yes' vote on the transit referendum will make Nashville one of the highest taxed cities in the country. I have heard and read  many statements that a 'Yes' vote will give Nashville the Highest SALES Tax in the country. I think this is demonstrably accurate.

Example - From NoTax4Tracks splash page -
"A $9 Billion price tag and the highest sales tax in the nation for a traffic plan that won’t work."

^ I do not disagree that a state or city income tax would prove ruinous ... that is a given. I was responding to Mark's post above. The complaint regarding the 'highest in nation sales tax ' is accurate and your adding the fact we have no state income tax (somewhat) and no city income tax is also contextually relevant.

^ To allude to Mark Bloom's concerns as 'uneducated' is the height of conceit. You of course may disagree with him/them, but you should allow him/them the same courtesy without negative attribution. This referendum is not assured by a long-shot and as we saw last-night in the Q and A Mayor Berry's scandal is not helping.

Uneducated reasons. I doubt he meant uneducated people.

I wonder if these are the same business owners on lower broad that were also against getting rid of the street parking and widening the sidewalks. 

Barrett Hobbs a owners of a few bars was on the AMP board back in the day. He seems on board now, just has his worries, which are fair. 

The BNA CEO the other day saying how they are already setting aside money for a rail line from the airport to downtown should absolutely thrill downtown business's and hotels. I can't find the article now but I know I read it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

A major blow to Transit Prospects - No other way to look at the Front Page Story from the Tennessean. The power brokers of downtown entertainment and development seem to be lining-up again the Transit Plan.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/02/nashville-transit-downtown-broadway-traffic-sales-tax/374515002/

Sounds to me like they are pro transit but mostly just concerned that the construction of the tunnel portion might negatively affect business, which is an understandable concern.  Not quite sure how it could be seen as a "major blow" though.

• Like 1

Just now, BnaBreaker said:

Sounds to me like they are pro transit but mostly just concerned that the construction of the tunnel portion might negatively affect business, which is an understandable concern.  Not quite sure how it could be seen as a "major blow" though.

I was about to post this very same thing. A major blow is an interesting take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

^ To allude to Mark Bloom's concerns as 'uneducated' is the height of conceit. You of course may disagree with him/them, but you should allow him/them the same courtesy without negative attribution. This referendum is not assured by a long-shot and as we saw last-night in the Q and A Mayor Berry's scandal is not helping.

Major blow? I'm guessing you didn't read the article. If you did you're spinning it in an inaccurate way.

^  Indeed, I did read it, as I would never post an article I had not read...what would be the point. It is a major blow because the Lower Broad contingent is one of the major power players in the city... as any long time observer of city politics would already know.

Since the tunnel is part and parcel the Transit Plan I would posit that opposition to one is opposition to all.

2 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

^  Indeed, I did read it, as I would never post an article I had not read...what would be the point. It is a major blow because the Lower Broad contingent is one of the major power players in the city... as any long time observer of city politics would already know.

Since the tunnel is part and parcel the Transit Plan I would posit that opposition to one is opposition to all.

Yes and reading the article shows you these people are afraid it will be loud. Well, no joke! It will be loud. Bloom thinks it will damage tourism and then provides no evidence for that claim.  You are trying to take a few people's opinions and make it something it is not.