The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Mr. Bloom is uneducated in that he doesn't seem to understand how the drilling will take place.  There will be no noticeable construction above ground except for the entrance areas on the north and south ends of the 1.8 miles (nowhere near the tourism areas), and those will only be for a relatively short period of time. Once the initial holes are dug at both ends, they will be covered over except for the new entrance/exit areas that will eventually carry the trains/buses. 

• Like 4

^ We will have to agree to disagree. No sweat.

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Mr. Bloom is uneducated in that he doesn't seem to understand how the drilling will take place.  There will be no noticeable construction above ground except for the entrance areas on the north and south ends of the 1.8 miles (nowhere near the tourism areas), and those will only be for a relatively short period of time. Once the initial holes are dug at both ends, they will be covered over except for the new entrance/exit areas that will eventually carry the trains/buses. 

Mark,

This is not correct. What Mark Bloom was alluding to was the noise, blasting, and general disruption from construction at 5th and Broadway for the station which connects to the planned tunnel.

7 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's a great point.  Hell, 5th and Broad is a massive hole in the ground right in the middle of it all and nobody has made a peep about it affecting tourism.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. If 5th and broad doesn’t scare the tourists away one subway stop isn’t. Even if it’s a temporary disruption, the transit plan has long-term positives for that part of town. Hell, maybe the pro transit groups should start advertising the fact that the touristy part of town is against the plan: it’ll counteract how all the idiots think that the plan is just for tourists. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nashvylle said:

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/group-marches-against-transit-plan

not sure how many people marched, but not good press. 

So they're against the transit plan because they would prefer 24 hour buses and then they talk about affordable housing?  They need a clearer message.  Also, they should be attacking Glen Casada (a non-metro suburbanite) rather than the transit plan because he is the one actively sabotaging affordable housing at the moment.

3 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

So they're against the transit plan because they would prefer 24 hour buses and then they talk about affordable housing?  They need a clearer message.  Also, they should be attacking Glen Casada (a non-metro suburbanite) rather than the transit plan because he is the one actively sabotaging affordable housing at the moment.

I don’t think they realize that the money raised for public transit is going specifically for public transit, it’s not just general tax money being raised. Thus, no transit plan, no money. A vote of this monetary magnitude wouldn’t pass simply for affordable housing. And there’s plenty of affordable housing if you’re willing to move to Madison, Bordeaux, Antioch, donelson, or the surrounding counties. 

54 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Who is Glen Casada and what is he doing?

I thought the affordable housing thing was odd to tack on too. If housing is able to be more dense don’t housing prices drop?

Depends. Typically the densest parts of many cities are the most expensive (midtown Manhattan, The Loop, etc.). As we all know, density brings with it certain positive aspects that make it very appealing to people, and they’re willing to pay a lot for it.

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Who is Glen Casada and what is he doing?

A Franklin politican who is using his "small government" policies to infringe on my rights as a Nashville resident.  Also, he supported Jeremy Durham until the 11th hour but I'm specifically referencing this in regards to affordable housing:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/02/nashville-affordable-housing-inclusionary-zoning-tennessee-legislature/389549002/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

A Franklin politican who is using his "small government" policies to infringe on my rights as a Nashville resident.  Also, he supported Jeremy Durham until the 11th hour but I'm specifically referencing this in regards to affordable housing:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/02/nashville-affordable-housing-inclusionary-zoning-tennessee-legislature/389549002/

He’s someone with no real principles who has reached his ceiling. And that ceiling is a state house rep. Lol. 

Ha, lots of people have reached their ceiling...or have no future...or have no principles. Take our lovely Mayor for instance! 

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, Buildtall said:

I hope she stays and runs for re-election  and gets re-elected. I know she is the first person in history to have an affair but everyone needs to move on.  Oops make that the second, I forgot about bill boner having an affair and we all survived that. 

We survived, but he ended up delivering phone books. 

14 hours ago, Buildtall said:

I hope she stays and runs for re-election  and gets re-elected. I know she is the first person in history to have an affair but everyone needs to move on.  Oops make that the second, I forgot about bill boner having an affair and we all survived that. 

Ouch