The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I drive around Davidson County a lot for work and I am amazed at the  number of "Vote NO on Transit" signs I see. I really just don't understand the mentality of these people who DON'T want mass transit for Nashville. 

It's worth noting that I really only see these signs in Green Hills, Forest Hills, 12th South, and nice neighborhoods along West End..... 

• Like 3

I emailed them again and tweeted at them. Maybe someone can get a response!

@NashvilleObserver

I was reading through a reddit thread last night and one person straight up said, I won't be able to use this personally, so I am voting no.

Boggles the mind.

I also believe the pro transit folks have been really bad at showing the benefits to business,  of cusomters being able to more easily access their business. It doesn't matter if everyone loves your business if they can't get there because they are sitting in traffic, what does it matter!

Same goes for one way streets, study after study has shown, make a street 2-ways and it's easier and more friendly for everyone.

Edited by PaulChinetti
because my mind is everywhere this morning
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I drive around Davidson County a lot for work and I am amazed at the  number of "Vote NO on Transit" signs I see. I really just don't understand the mentality of these people who DON'T want mass transit for Nashville. 

It's worth noting that I really only see these signs in Green Hills, Forest Hills, 12th South, and nice neighborhoods along West End..... 

I’d say 90% of the signs that I see in East Nashville are pro-transit, as expected. I drove down Jefferson yesterday and was surprised to see large “Vote No” signs on public right-of-ways and against the fences lining the interstate.  

I’m not surprised that you see the signs along West End. My old landlord owns one of the old mansions on West End and basically erected an anti-AMP billboard in her front yard a few years ago. I always found it funny because she and her husband only spend about 2 weeks a year in Nashville and the home sits empty the rest of the year. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

If this plan doesn’t pass I think it’ll be because the pro transit advocacy groups dropped the ball at the 5 yard line. Like many of you have mentioned, there’s been a lack of mass education and the stuff like signage has been severely lacking. 

Ive seen quite a few anti transit signs in poorer neighborhoods, even those that would see immediate impacts from the plan. They view the plan as designed to benefit the rich and gentrify their neighborhoods. They have the mentality that if it passes they’ll be priced out and be exactly where they are now in 10 years, except further out. 

Hopefully the transit for Nashville groups are planning an April campaigning blitz. 

We, the citizens of Nashville are the ones who are failing to properly educate ourselves and our fellow citizens about the benefits of the transit plan.  Who do we think is going to fund this massive pro-transit educational campaign?  If the city government was trying to keep up with the deep pockets of the anti-transit coalition in terms of public relations expenditures, it would be a misuse of government funds scandal in its own right that could potentially derail the project.   I've seen this transit plan summarized several times because I read the local news and I participate in a internet forum that discusses urban planning issues like mass transportation, but the money just isn't there to fund the kind of pro-transit marketing push that I think some here were expecting. 

And even if we had equal footing on a financial front, it's a lot easier to run a oppositional misinformation campaign than it is to promote a specific plan of action.  On any given day, NoTax4Tracks will choose a different tactic or a different demographic to target and just see what sticks.  Here are some of their email subject lines over the last couple months:

1. Vote No and protect Senior Citizens--as though no senior citizens currently depend on mass transit and would benefit from improved service.

2. Not one penny goes to highways, bridges roads--facepalm.  Let's make a deal, how about we set aside a portion of the transit funding to pay for highways and then we'll set aside an equal portion of the highway funding to go to the transit plan?

3. THEY get the rail, WE get the bill--gross.

4. MORE than $9 BILLION--as I recall, one of the main complaints against the much less expensive Amp plan was that busses were 'cheap' and that more expensive light rail was worth it to attract ridership.  Also, I have little doubt that the same email subject would have read 'MORE than $4 BILLION' if we'd started with a plan at half the price.  Sticker shock as a scare tactic and nothing more.

5. Will they tell the truth to Nashville?--they're clearly playing to their audience here.

6. The plan will create more congestion, not less--if you think the body of the email contained any evidence to support this conclusion, you'd be wrong.

7. Think the cost are high now, Just wait!--this is actually a fair point, albeit one-sided.  Think the costs of doing nothing are high now, Just wait!

8. Horrible for those on fixed incomes--hey Seniors, we're talking to you again.  Vote no!

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 2

I think it's important for all of us to inform as many people as possible over the next month about the benefits of a mass transit system for the future health and growth of our city (if you feel this way). It will integrate with new technologies and allow us to continue to grow. The cost burden is being shouldered a great deal by tourists which is nice as well. Who knows how close this referendum will be, but I believe it's incredibly important for the future of Nashville that we move forward with mass transit. Let people know.

• Like 3

Thanks to all keeping those of us Nashvillians who are out of town up to date. Based on what I've been reading above, most of those running with the Against crowd are resorting to slogans and backlash when they are called out for saying things that simply aren't true. This is an extremely frustrating topic to debate, possibly because many of those on the other side of the fence are refusing to debate to begin with. It's the "Oh, if you love Nashville then you'll vote against this plan" phrases that drive me crazy. That's the kind of nonsense that will sway undecided Davidson Co. voters to vote Against on May 1st.

• Like 4

"lives in Murfreesboro, works in WillCo"  Ugh, more outside interference.....  I've said it before and I will say it again, we need to make their lives as difficult as they are making ours. 

I wish we could go ahead and vote on this.  My nextdoor group has devolved into ALL CAPS RESPONSES and 'libtard' conspiracy theories.

It's easier to verbalize as an anti person because all you have to say is "MORE TAXES" whereas the pro response is a much harder to boil down to two word responses.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

"lives in Murfreesboro, works in WillCo"  Ugh, more outside interference.....  I've said it before and I will say it again, we need to make their lives as difficult as they are making ours. 

I wish we could go ahead and vote on this.  My nextdoor group has devolved into ALL CAPS RESPONSES and 'libtard' conspiracy theories.

It's easier to verbalize as an anti person because all you have to say is "MORE TAXES" whereas the pro response is a much harder to boil down to two word responses.

Exactly. The rhetoric becomes dumbed down instantaneously. Phrases and slogans are all it takes. They make it sound like Armageddon will strike Nashville if you vote for the plan. 

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Seriously.  I wish TDOT would come out and say just how many billions it would take to widen the interstates.  It is funny to me that some of the people who are against this mass transit plan because it would cost a lot and would rip up roadways during construction are blind to just how much money it would cost and how much disruptive road construction would be needed to widen the interstates.  Plus, there's the time factor.  Many who are against the mass transit plan are against it because it will take years before it's built out.  Do they have any idea just how long it takes to widen a freeway, especially through the city?

It took years to widen I-65 from Cool Springs through Peytonsville Rd. in Williamson County, and that was 5 miles of road work. If that was a royal PITA in an exurban area, I can't fathom how difficult it would be to try to widen I-65 around Wedgewood Rd., Harding Place, and Armory Drive. Existing business zones there would render expansion impossible without harming the businesses adjacent to the interstate.  And to try to expand  the interchanges among 65, 24 and 40? Not going to happen without having to shut down three lanes at a time. That amount of construction would retard traffic so badly that commuters would be idling on those sections of the interstate for hours at a time.

We can all agree that an attempt to widen the interstates is a poor alternative. Other alternatives fronted by the anti-transit crowd include things we haven't even invented yet. Flying cars have been mentioned before. Yes, I can understand and appreciate skepticism due to technological advancement, and how current transit technology could be obsolete at some point. But "at some point" is the key here. Nobody knows when, and as it stands, we have not invented-much less implemented and materialized- better technology to gets thousands of people moving from one place to another than commuter rail. If you disagree with my claim, I will stand corrected if you can show me that better transit technology has proven effective somewhere else.

• Like 2

Maybe the vote for transit people need to have a commercial where tdot tells how many years it would take and how many billions it would take to widen the interstates around town. 

I remember a few years ago ( 2015) watching the news and hearing a tdot story about not widen the interstate lanes around town because it wouldn’t help.

Here it is in the bizjournals link but I remember seeing this on I believe channel 4. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/07/tdot-s-nashville-interstate-dilemma-we-can-t.html

• Like 3

I hope we can agree most Nashvillian's, for or against, are mostly ignorant of the details of the mass transit plan. It is not realistic to compare the general public's interest/knowledge on this matter to the members of this board. For the most part, the people I have spoken with regarding the transit plan understand enough relative to the impact it will have on them. If they do not live nor visit downtown or the close-in neighborhoods often they see it as another big-money giveaway to downtown residents, corporate nashville, and developers. Add the fact (admitted by both sides) that the transit plan will not reduce traffic congestion we are all experiencing and they are asking a legitimate question, "Why will my taxes go up for a vanity project I do not foresee myself using and that will not improve my experience with Nashville's traffic?" You can disagree with your answers, but it is a valid question. 

Here is an analysis by an opponent of the transit plan and a Vanderbilt Professor....maybe he is not ignorant? Maybe he just believe the plan to be bad policy.

https://www.scribd.com/document/374567167/Malcolm-Getz-New-Critique

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I hope we can agree most Nashvillian's, for or against, are mostly ignorant of the details of the mass transit plan. It is not realistic to compare the general public's interest/knowledge on this matter to the members of this board. For the most part, the people I have spoken with regarding the transit plan understand enough relative to the impact it will have on them. If they do not live nor visit downtown or the close-in neighborhoods often they see it as another big-money giveaway to downtown residents, corporate nashville, and developers. Add the fact (admitted by both sides) that the transit plan will not reduce traffic congestion we are all experiencing and they are asking a legitimate question, "Why will my taxes go up for a vanity project I do not foresee myself using and that will not improve my experience with Nashville's traffic?" You can disagree with your answers, but it is a valid question. 

Here is an analysis by an opponent of the transit plan and a Vanderbilt Professor....maybe he is not ignorant? Maybe he just believe the plan to be bad policy.

https://www.scribd.com/document/374567167/Malcolm-Getz-New-Critique

Fair points, and for the record, I wasn't referring to anyone who opposes the plan, but rather, the 'facebook comments section' types.  

The FB threads were awful. I am sure I can find the same level of parroting slogans from pro transit posters. Generally, FB threads are awful....similar to online newspaper comments.