The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

13 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

I’m not sure how many times I’ve sent these links to people. More roads equals more traffic. They aren’t the answer, I’ve made maybe 2 people think differently, BEGRUDGINGLY about transit haha.

thanks Paul

I am not seeing Mayor Briley taking the lead on the transit issue. For the most part he is a quiet church mouse cowering the corner. He needs to lead and get out and rally the voters and I am not seeing this. 

He may be fine to finish out Berry's term, but I do not see him winning the next election unless he changes his ways. The transit referendum may fail as well if the council people and the mayor get out this last month or so and push like they have never pushed for something before.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am not seeing Mayor Briley taking the lead on the transit issue. For the most part he is a quiet church mouse cowering the corner. He needs to lead and get out and rally the voters and I am not seeing this. 

He may be fine to finish out Berry's term, but I do not see him winning the next election unless he changes his ways. The transit referendum may fail as well if the council people and the mayor get out this last month or so and push like they have never pushed for something before.

Agree. The need to get vocal and educate the public! Don’t just sit on the sidelines

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

He's been a very vocal supporter on social media (ie, twitter) and at community meetings.     

• Like 2

The talking points from the Chamber would be more impressive if the document cited the sources for the numbers used.

Let's take just one of the 'facts' listed in the document.

"Light rail in Salt Lake City reduced daily vehicle traffic by 50% on a specific corridor. Vehicle traffic was reduced from 44,000 to 22,3000."

I read this to say that the daily vehicle count on the specific corridor was 44,000 prior to mass transit and today (after mass transit) the daily vehicle count is 22,300.

Sounds impressive, yet no source is cited. I googled the exact phrase quoted and linked to a Planetizine article. This gives some clarification, "It estimates that a LRT line reduces daily from 44,000 (if it did not exist) to 22,300 (what actually occurs) on one arterial." So now we see the 44,000 number is not an actual daily vehicle count prior to mass transit, it is the ESTIMATED numbers if vehicles they believe would be utilizing the specific corridor in today ...17 years removed. Some of the bloom of the rose, but maybe still an impressive statistic if the original study has merit. Luckily a link to the original study is included in the Planetizine article ... but the link is dead. 

https://www.planetizen.com/node/69998

There are two articles I came across claiming mass transit does not relieve congestion and that high-rail just grabs riders off busses.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/02/27/do-light-rail-systems-help-cut-down-on-traffic-perhaps-not/?utm_term=.7c3950e4d781
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2013/02/does-light-rail-encourage-people-stop-driving/4800/

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

This needs to be spread far amd wide.

Edited by Guest

Recieved this e-mail from Tranist for Nashville today:

Why is a tunnel the best option for Nashville?

Critics of the transit plan say that the limestone under downtown makes a tunnel unfeasible. But it’s just another false transit myth they’re pushing. The reality is that there are already tunnels downtown!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Mayor David Briley unveiled and signed the "Declaration of Transportation Independence" last night.  You can read it and add your name to it as well here:

https://transitindependence.com/

That makes a heck of a lot of sense.  I wonder how many more people could afford to live in Nashville if they didn't also have the financial burden of owning and maintaining a car.

• Like 2

^^ how many more people could live anywhere if they did not have the financial burden of 'X'? What is the logical conclusion of that thought? Should we also subsidize close in housing so more people can live in Nashville and on the new transit routes?
As we are voting on in May transit is not free. As we see annually when we pay property taxes, education is not free, healthcare is not free, ...nothing is free. 

Again, I am not in disagreement with JMtunafish nor your thoughts in theory. However, in practice we have all seen both unexpected, negative consequences from such thoughts brought to fruition.  

Not to prolong the post, but I just read multiple articles proclaiming  'equality equals equity' in one form or another.... a proposition against which I register the utmost contempt.

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

Of course not, but these are things that make life better for ourselves. Like healthcare and education, it is in the best interest of the city to pay for viable transit alternatives.