The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

13 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Agreed; the plan is guilty by association with Barry....rightly or not.....and this association with the disgraced Mayor will have bearing on this vote.  Mayor Briley has stated he's pro-transit, but how pro-transit is he truly when he could disavow any ownership to this plan when he runs for Mayor later this year?

I haven't seen him out in front of this vote for the plan at more than a minimum.

I disagree. He has been a staunch supporter, and wouldn't have signed the declaration of transit independence etc. 

• Like 2

I sure hope so. The Pro side needs big wooden frame signs on public corners like the NoTax side has (in green hills, even driving into downtown on the State fences) Step up your game PRO TRANSIT! Don’t lose this thing because you’re too lazy to find good corners with lots of traffic. At least put them in the high traffic areas where the NoTax signs already are

• Like 3

That's good to hear that things may be ramping up. I agree that they need some more prominent signage as well. At lot of the time for things like this, the opposition is simply louder, not larger. I would be pleased if that were they case again. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Got this in the mail yesterday.

"That's too much for a plan that leaves out large portions of the city." This plan costs TOO much, we need a bigger plan, that would costs LESS??

Scratches head... screams into the abyss :blink:

NoTax_3.jpg

NoTax_4.jpg

I just read this out to my girlfriend and point by point broke down where it is misleading or outright lying, or the one point with 100% facts used in a way that is 100% misleading. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I still can’t get a sign. But I am starting to see more on Nolensivllle/4th Ave S. 

Hopefully the Pro folks are starting to kick into gear, let’s get this ball rolling!

I had emailed a friend at the chamber, and she emailed someone at For Transit but never heard back (not good in my opinion).  When I saw your post about getting a response I was hoping they were just backlogged trying to get signs. I think they should have focused on getting the sign distribution running smoothly before now.  I HAVE seen more lately...it’s odd that it’s so difficult to get a sign though.

• Like 2

Interesting interview with a member of the activist group PATHE, which is against the May 1 plan. 

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/features/article/20999320/grassroots-organization-pathe-wants-better-transit-but-not-the-citys-9-billion-plan

This person hits on what I think is the most compelling reason to oppose the plan:

"We’ve been to the Metro Council meetings, and one of the things that we consistently say is: 'Let’s make our existing system better.' We could have more of the [bus rapid transit] routes — the fast bus routes. We could have better dedicated bus lanes, and we could do that for a tiny fraction of the amount of money they’re planning to spend on this transit plan."

9 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I understand their frustration with the lack of affordable housing and displacement, but building new affordable housing in Nashville is not easy. 

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/why-it-s-especially-hard-build-affordable-housing-nashville-according-one-state-agency#stream/0  

"Had another city's development been chosen, "by now, we’d have real-world apartment homes that people would be living in," the agency says. "Instead, the $1.7 million per year never got spent. and no construction happened.”"

Wait, where in the world does the money go? It doesn't go to another developer if the site never gets built?

I saw several For Transit volunteers dropping material into mailboxes earlier, and I’ve noticed several of the large wooden signs. Notably at the corner of old hickory Blvd and Franklin Road, at the shell station corner. Weird spot, since that’s barely Davison county and not really in an area where transit would touch, but tons of people pass it daily so the exposure must be worth it. 

• Like 1

The sales tax and two tourism-related taxes are pretty self-explanatory, but could someone with some financial or accounting savvy explain the potential business tax increase? Like how much it is now, what the burden typically is for businesses, how raising it will affect businesses currently in Nashville and those potentially looking to relocate to Nashville, etc. I’m fuzzy on those kinds of taxes so it could be informative and useful to know more.