The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

17 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

I finally got around to reading the Improve act.   I found this line most interesting. 

Also, any surcharge on the local option sales and use tax will apply only to the first $1,600 on the sale or use of any single article of personal property.

So, if i read this correctly, the sales tax would not apply to large purchases.  this should be shared everywhere!

This is the way sales tax works currently.  The local option maxes pretty quickly, but the state tax is for the full amount.  For a car sale (or boat or wedding ring, etc), you pay 9.25% on the first $1600 and then 7% on the amount over $1600. 

I personally think this would be a good target to fund transit regionally, and proposed this idea on this board a couple years ago.  Allow the counties in the regional transit authority to tax 100% of the sale at the local option rate and designate that additional revenue to fund transit projects. When I ran the numbers I came up with something like $50 million annually for the entire MSA just on automobile sales.

• Like 2

channel 5 just had a story.   Voter turnout is extremely high.   I didn't catch the exact numbers but thousands more than a normal primary.

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I tried once with that crowd, it's like they don't even read what you write and just keep talking regardless of what you say.

I had a conversation with someone today (albeit on Facebook) and they just kept talking about how high taxes where gonna be (debt and tax burden), why I didn't ride the buses now (what that has to do with anything I am not sure) and why more "innovative solutions" weren't being used/considered (ride shares mini buses, then showed an article where it worked in 1 city and failed in 2 others).

I just don't get this innovate angle, ride shares are great and will surely have a place but, they can't be the end all be all. It has to be a comprehensive plan! Sigh

What do they want teleportation, rocket cars, a pneumatic tube system like in Futurama?

ive had the same experience.  in fact i have gone back and forth with Lance Bloom several times. 

just saw a new ad,  "vote for truth, vote for transit"   basically pointing out the recent false claims by opponents. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I tried once with that crowd, it's like they don't even read what you write and just keep talking regardless of what you say.

I had a conversation with someone today (albeit on Facebook) and they just kept talking about how high taxes where gonna be (debt and tax burden), why I didn't ride the buses now (what that has to do with anything I am not sure) and why more "innovative solutions" weren't being used/considered (ride shares mini buses, then showed an article where it worked in 1 city and failed in 2 others).

I just don't get this innovate angle, ride shares are great and will surely have a place but, they can't be the end all be all. It has to be a comprehensive plan! Sigh

What do they want teleportation, rocket cars, a pneumatic tube system like in Futurama?

It is difficult to have a debate, or even a casual chat, with someone who refuses to acknowledge reality.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I was at a restaurant yesterday, the two young people fixing my burrito asked my about the 'I voted" sticker I forgot I was wearing, what did I vote in?  I answered the Transit Referendum and one asked me if I voted yes or no.  I said "yes" and they both gave me big thumbs up.  One opined he didn't understand how anyone could be against it.  It all depends on who votes.  Unfortunately old people always vote.  If young people vote it'll pass.  Big turnout is good IMO.

I "infer" from the context that you're old then....:)

[I didn't say ancient like me, but I gave the "benefit" of the doubt...ツ]

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rookzie said:

I "infer" from the context that you're old then....:)

[I didn't say ancient like me, but I gave the "benefit" of the doubt...ツ]

The Ancient of Days.  Haven't me you yet, but I'd say we're roughly peers, age-wise.  You may have a couple of years on me, or maybe your memory's just better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

The Ancient of Days.  Haven't me you yet, but I'd say we're roughly peers, age-wise.  You may have a couple of years on me, or maybe your memory's just better.

Ha!.. With my rotten-ass memory, I'd say you must be "up there", if that were the case...

Seriously, it's no secret ─ I'm 66, 67 in September.  I just tend to have been able to recall certain trivia with details and clarity, perhaps in the same manner that some with dementia can seem "normal" for a minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

Seriously, it's no secret ─ I'm 66, 67 in September.  I just tend to have been able to recall certain trivia with details and clarity, perhaps in the same manner that some with dementia can seem "normal" for a minute.

I turned 35 on Sunday. I feel old right there with you... :tw_glasses:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1