The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

15 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

"Incremental Progress" is the best way to describe it, you have to start somewhere, can't have transit lines from the surrounding counties if there is nothing for them to connect to. I'm not sure how many times I've said that in discussions over transit.

That’s the biggest issue I have with the “regional transit alternative” group, that it doesn’t matter how many trains come from Franklin and M’boro if they don’t have a network to plug into. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, samsonh said:

No chance the anti transit people come up with a plan. We will just be circling back in 3 or 4 years with another proposal for mass transit. At some point traffic gets so bad we HAVE to do something. No solution fixes all the problems, but we should at least be working towards making incremental progress. 

I mean, d'uh... obviously we just wait 100 years until everyone owns a flying car, and in the mean time we just rent a bunch of church vans!  This plan making stuff is so easy!

29 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

That’s the biggest issue I have with the “regional transit alternative” group, that it doesn’t matter how many trains come from Franklin and M’boro if they don’t have a network to plug into. 

In my mind when people talk about that, I always imagine the trains just flying off the tracks right into a big hole. And the people who's idea that was just standing their admiring their creation.

Done and done

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

In my mind when people talk about that, I always imagine the trains just flying off the tracks right into a big hole. And the people who's idea that was just standing their admiring their creation.

Done and done

giphy.gif

It’s like advocating buying 100,000 microwaves to send to a place that has no electrical grid. 

Proudly voted for the transit plan earlier this week and keeping my fingers crossed that it passes. It would truly raise some eyebrows nationally about Nashville.

I've actually been considering jobs in other cities as of late. The slow reception to mass transit here is one of among several important reasons that I'm hesitant to consider my hometown a good, long-term fit for me. I'd like to believe that I'm wrong, but we shall see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I voted for it today too! 

I'll cross my fingers with you, a good buddy of mine who lives in Brentwood doesn't understand my concern about it not passing, I'm guessing he doesn't see as much negative mail/commercials down there. Maybe that's a good sign, I just don't know

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

No chance the anti transit people come up with a plan. We will just be circling back in 3 or 4 years with another proposal for mass transit. At some point traffic gets so bad we HAVE to do something. No solution fixes all the problems, but we should at least be working towards making incremental progress. 

Yep. And in 5 years when they circle back to pitch a similar plan it will likely cost 25-30% more than this one, and opponents will then parrot again that it's too expensive for this city right now. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

This is unreal...will the be Nashville's dystopian transit future (tunnel)? This is what happens when laws are not enforced.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/04/25/junkies-san-francisco-civic-center-bart/

More like: This is what happens during the worst drug crisis in human history. But I digress

Any-who, to reiterate my point, what prevents such outcomes (San Fran, NYC) from occurring  in Nashville? The video goes on to describe the resources the city is spending just to remove needles, and feces from the sidewalk, then goes on to describe the increase in funding needed to keep the criminals from shooting-up , vomiting, passing-out, dying, and and I sure committing crimes in the mass-transit stations. The one filmed in at the Civic Center so not on the out fringes of the city.

2 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Any-who, to reiterate my point, what prevents such outcomes (San Fran, NYC) from occurring  in Nashville? The video goes on to describe the resources the city is spending just to remove needles, and feces from the sidewalk, then goes on to describe the increase in funding needed to keep the criminals from shooting-up , vomiting, passing-out, dying, and and I sure committing crimes in the mass-transit stations. The one filmed in at the Civic Center so not on the out fringes of the city.

Would the issue be any better with the absence of mass transit?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

http://www.wkrn.com/news/fentanyl-major-contributing-factor-as-drug-overdoses-reach-all-time-high-in-tenn/1077206157

It’s EVERYWHERE, regardless of political belief, policing/not policing. It’s the biggest drug crisis in our time just like @nativetenn said. 

Talk to any police officer or firefighter they deal with overdoses on daily, if not hourly basis. 

Good question. I am not making a case that mass transit increases drug use. However, much like the pocket park being discussed in the new Tony Girantanna (SP) thread, a transit station provided a climate-controlled space in which to ply their craft.

5 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Would the issue be any better with the absence of mass transit?

I do not now about EVERYWHERE. For instance I can go places in Nashville and do NOT see what is in this video. I am not talking about drug use in general. People do it....I do not care if they are in their home, or in the woods, or in the sewer...all much different that in the public sphere. It should never be allowed to encroach into the public arena in my view.

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

http://www.wkrn.com/news/fentanyl-major-contributing-factor-as-drug-overdoses-reach-all-time-high-in-tenn/1077206157

It’s EVERYWHERE, regardless of political belief, policing/not policing. It’s the biggest drug crisis in our time just like @nativetenn said. 

Talk to any police officer or firefighter they deal with overdoses on daily, if not hourly basis. 

Edited by Guest

Quite a leap in logic to formulate a response to something I have not advocated.

I am not an advocate for the transit plan. This is well known to all on this board. However, my post relates to another I wrote on this board when the tunnel was announced, where I pondered how the city was going to keep the homeless/druggies from infiltrating the structure. Build it - don't build it, but for Heaven's sake enforce the law and do not allow it to become but a refuge for lawlessness.

4 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

So should we stop building new sidewalks?  You had just been noting the homeless occupation of the park Tony G just acquired.  So no new parks?  

By definition, homeless people will spend most of their time in public spaces because they don't have private spaces of their own to occupy.   Homelessness is certainly a problem, as is the opioid epidemic, but mass transportation has little to do with either of those issues beyond being another scare tactic of convenience to go with the sink holes and AMP burglars.  

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Quite a leap in logic to formulate a response to something I have not advocated.

I am not an advocate for the transit plan. This is well known too all on this board. However, my post relates to another I wrote on this board when the tunnel was announced, where I pondered how the city was going to keep the homeless/druggies from infiltrating the structure. Build it - don't build it, but for Heaven's sake enforce the law and do not allow it to become but a refuge for lawlessness.

Phone booths, covered bus stops, public restrooms--they've all scene their fair share of scary/undesirable public behavior that most of us would certainly prefer to avoid.  I did not intend to put words in your mouth, but what you call a leap in logic I would say is the next logical step to your line of thinking.  

The problems you highlight are indeed legitimate, but they have as much to do with Mass transit as a phone booth. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

It really is, I’ve had 2 people I went to high school with and my best friend’s brother die from overdoses in the last 3 weeks. It’s insane.