The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

23 hours ago, Buildtall said:

I would like Nashville to have the trains, monorails, light rail, etc running out to the surrounding county’s..  But I personally would like to see 840 run from Lebanon  to I65 north as it would be helpful  to me personally but I just can’t give her my vote. I’ve always thought monorails would be the best option since they are up in the air and not affected by traffic. Light rail is ok too but I prefer monorails.  Just my 2 cents. 

do you just mean elevated trains?   Monorail is a very specific type of elevated train, a regular rapid transit train an be put on elevated rails and still not be a monorail. but be much more efficient. 

2 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

do you just mean elevated trains?   Monorail is a very specific type of elevated train, a regular rapid transit train an be put on elevated rails and still not be a monorail. but be much more efficient. 

Either would be fine but I’d take the Disney monorails any day. They move a lot of people every day  of the year  and I never get tired of riding them when I’m there and yes they are cooler.

Las Vegas is ok but it’s just connects all the hotels and probably not any fast than driving but sure is better than walking.

Don’t forget Seattle also has a short one too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Monorails are for Disneyworld.   

15 hours ago, nativetenn said:

You have a point. You only find them at airports and theme parks. But, they are pretty cool...

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

And Las Vegas.

Here's a real functional high ridership monorail in the heart of a major world city. Sorry I only have night pics

20161121_043429.jpg

20161120_065304.jpg

20161120_062909.jpg

• Like 4

I think we've established that for purposes of this discussion, there is no distinction between monorails and elevated trains.  Still for connections to Mboro etc, a train can go on the ground in the interstate ROW and start flying over obstacles when it gets to town.

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

As I understand it, TDOT has invested significantly in SR109 in recent years to allow it to function similarly to what 840N would have.

It has a long ways to go to be a good route from I-40 to I-65N.  Too bad they couldn't have at least kept that portion of I-840 intact because it's really needed.  I think the NW portion of I-840 is the piece that not only would have been really, really expensive to build (Cheatham County has way too many hills)...but also is least needed.  Briley is a decent option on that side of town to get from I-24/65 over to I-40W.

• Like 2

I sometimes wonder when we will see a politician run on a "telecommute / work from home" platform. Wouldn't that be the ultimate solution to our traffic woes? I imagine some pretty creative ideas would come about if we threw the same billions of dollars toward incentivizing businesses in that direction as we seem all too willing to spend on slabs of asphalt.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vrtigo said:

I sometimes wonder when we will see a politician run on a "telecommute / work from home" platform. Wouldn't that be the ultimate solution to our traffic woes? I imagine some pretty creative ideas would come about if we threw the same billions of dollars toward incentivizing businesses in that direction as we seem all to willing to spend on slabs of asphalt.

it's happening already on its own without government incentives.. and more and more people run their own businesses from home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

I sometimes wonder when we will see a politician run on a "telecommute / work from home" platform. Wouldn't that be the ultimate solution to our traffic woes? I imagine some pretty creative ideas would come about if we threw the same billions of dollars toward incentivizing businesses in that direction as we seem all to willing to spend on slabs of asphalt.

Would love to see such a shift, but commercial real estate managers/developers aren't going to like this idea. Lots of folks making money on the status quo, which is what makes it so hard to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, now that we have zero options for transit on the table my attention turns to the horribly antiquated interstates in and around Nashville and the lousy interchanges.  What can we do to push our state leaders to fix this mess?  The majority of our traffic issues revolve around interchanges that are currently at or above capacity.  The whole 24/40 spilt is a giant cluster.  TDOT seems perfectly happy with keeping it status quo.  We've heard NOTHING from them on fixing anything.  Just patch paving and pothole work.

As for future transit, I'm not a firm believer anything will ever happen.  We will continue to rely on cars in this metro.  This speak of monorail and stuff is fun, but unrealistic.  Monorail is EXPENSIVE and well, voters in Nashville have shown they don't want to spend a lot of money on transit and neighboring counties (and CSX) have shown no desire to change either.

Edited by Lexy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lexy said:

So, now that we have zero options for transit on the table my attention turns to the horribly antiquated interstates in and around Nashville and the lousy interchanges.  What can we do to push our state leaders to fix this mess?  

On a related note, is there some sort of nationwide paint shortage? TDOT is woefully behind on striping and arrow repainting on several of the interstates and interchanges around Nashville. TDOT staff should spend a day or two driving the roads with the mindset of a tourist rather than a full-time resident.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1

"The flow of bicycle traffic improved greatly after Nørrebrogade installed the ‘green wave’, which changed traffic lights to favour cyclists. Above is before; below is after"

That quote is from the last chart on the page. I can't even imagine the uproar here if the city did that.

"I'm supposed to wait for people on bicycles?! I'm in a car, I will just run them over because they are in MY way!"

Copenhagen is a very different city obviously but more ways to move people around besides cars should be our goal.

"20th Century: How many CARS can we move down the street?"
"21st Century: How many PEOPLE can we move down the street?"

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/jun/11/copenhagenize-case-urban-cycling-graphs

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

"The flow of bicycle traffic improved greatly after Nørrebrogade installed the ‘green wave’, which changed traffic lights to favour cyclists. Above is before; below is after"

That quote is from the last chart on the page. I can't even imagine the uproar here if the city did that.

"I'm supposed to wait for people on bicycles?! I'm in a car, I will just run them over because they are in MY way!"

Copenhagen is a very different city obviously but more ways to move people around besides cars should be our goal.

"20th Century: How many CARS can we move down the street?"
"21st Century: How many PEOPLE can we move down the street?"

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/jun/11/copenhagenize-case-urban-cycling-graphs

Yeah, sometimes I like to imagine that we can all still debate ideas and somehow work together to choose a reasonable course, at least at the local level. Then I accidentally spend too much time in, say, a facebook thread about bird scooters. Comments inevitably devolve from menacing references to straight up jokes about killing. Good times. Nothing quite as hilarious as adding some more fellow human beings to the list of 6,000 pedestrians killed every year. Hardy har. Better make it 6,002 for these idiots.

It's amazing what getting into a car does to the human psyche. I feel it too. Surround yourself with thousands of pounds of metal that goes 80 mph with a press of your foot and you feel like the world should revolve around you. Puny humans walking or biking are nothing but an impediment, threatening to inconvenience you to the horrible tune of slowing down. Every kink in the road should be straightened, every bottleneck removed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1