The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

"He laid out several ideas, including adding technology like sensors and cameras to traffic lights to help ease the flow of traffic around the area. The eventual plan is for an entire traffic control center to serve as a hub for the different intersections across the city."

Why in the world this hasn't already been implemented is beyond me. When you sit at a light during non-rush hour, hours and no one is coming in the opposite directions. How much can those sensors cost? Do they need a central hub to work, if no-one is coming, then turn the light red!

So not really a plan at all, some ideas that we don't have money for...

• Like 4

Part of the transit referendum was traffic light synchronization. Why hasn't that just been looped into the general infrastructure improvement budgets is another thing that blows my mind.

I get not having the dedicated revenue streams from the transit plan, but why aren't we working on the budget more closely to include some of these improvements into our general spending?? We agreed to out up 225 million for the MLS stadium, but cant figure out traffic lights.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

So, part-and-parcel of the referendum was approving a dedicated funding source for *any* sort of transportation improvements ?

Pretty sure that was what all the various taxes would become a continuous stream of cash. 

No whether or not it would get looted for shortfalls in other areas is always the questions.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Any evidence of any post-referendum groundswell like, "Well, we've got to do something!" ?

Outside of this forum, I just don't get the impression that Nashvillians are in any way alarmed about congestion.

People I am friends with talk about the congestion literally all the time. No we are not LA or Atlanta, but it is getting worse month by month. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah we've went down this road post referendum though. And let me paint in the broadest strokes possible, and not singling you out. (thinking of quotes I've heard from people in stories and on the news) 

They hate congestion but they also don't want to pay for anything that won't directly effect them. They want a perfect city wide transportation system right now, with no increase in taxes that doesn't cost a lot of money, covers everyone and will cause no traffic during the construction of said city wide system. 

I've read multiply quotes in the news and seen interviews and even overheard my neighbor saying they weren't voting for it because it wouldn't benefit them, so why should they pay for it.

That is the mindset that the city has to overcome and I have no idea how it's going to do that?

It takes time for people to overcome that mindset. No one likes paying for anything, but at some point the problem will start dramatically impacting quality of life. 

• Like 1

http://devonzuegel.com/post/we-should-be-building-cities-for-people-not-cars

Some great suggested reading at the end. 

"The Ferry Building was hidden in the shadow of a grungy overpass, and the double decker highway blocked residents’ access to the bay all along the eastern edge of the peninsula."

What I think about when our genius politicians recommend double decker highways. Let's cut downtown off from the rest of the city even more!!!

• Like 2

I rode the full length of the KC line. 

It runs from Union Station to the River Market area, their farmers market.

One item of note is this line is free, like our Music city circuit, but I would have to question the fact they spent so much money for a dedicated line when a bus will do the exact same thing, the only difference being a train has the right of way.

All in all this is a very short line and is used by the tourist.

Mayor Briley is moving toward a project that will do what several of you have stated, focus on one area and make that work before expanding.  He mentioned that a project on Dickerson  Rd. would be a  rapid bus line with additional incentives for businesses and residential to build on/ near the line.  It will also be within the current time budget or at least not start with any new taxes.  Also discussion of the busses being able to control the traffic lights and hopefully in places where it could be done, dedicated lanes  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Mayor Briley is moving toward a project that will do what several of you have stated, focus on one area and make that work before expanding.  He mentioned that a project on Dickerson  Rd. would be a  rapid bus line with additional incentives for businesses and residential to build on/ near the line.  It will also be within the current time budget or at least not start with any new taxes.  Also discussion of the busses being able to control the traffic lights and hopefully in places where it could be done, dedicated lanes  

And yet some in our politics were mad that it was going to cluster development(although that is almost certainly a good thing).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah we've went down this road post referendum though. And let me paint in the broadest strokes possible, and not singling you out. (thinking of quotes I've heard from people in stories and on the news) 

They hate congestion but they also don't want to pay for anything that won't directly effect them. They want a perfect city wide transportation system right now, with no increase in taxes that doesn't cost a lot of money, covers everyone and will cause no traffic during the construction of said city wide system. 

I've read multiply quotes in the news and seen interviews and even overheard my neighbor saying they weren't voting for it because it wouldn't benefit them, so why should they pay for it.

That is the mindset that the city has to overcome and I have no idea how it's going to do that?

This is precisely what I should have said. People everywhere grouse about traffic. Even in cities where congestion is not significant.

• Like 1

All this talk about congestion reminds me the most recent $6BIL ($9BIL) transit plan, by its own admission,  did nothing to alleviate congestion....maybe one of the reasons it went down 2:1

Edited by Guest