The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

This is from the article posted earlier regarding streetcars in Cincinnati.

I think this is important to keep in mind:

Tellingly, although the light rail measure failed countywide, it was approved by a majority of voters within Cincinnati's urban core.

"These are the people who perhaps better understand the benefits from public transit," Schneider says.

Ron Stewart, an architect who helped design Portland's system, says focusing on those areas instead of forcing the project on unwilling neighborhoods is crucial.

"Build where you're wanted, build where you're invited in," he says. "You won't be successful where you're not wanted."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not sure if it is open to the public, but this looks like a GREAT step forward towards a mass transit or alternate transit options. Like I've said before a combination of bus routes, BRT, LRT, commuter rail, high speed rail, and street cars would be ideal. However, I know how Nashville is and I am not holding my breath. It would be nice to see another commuter rail leg get started to a high traffic area that would get plenty of use (I know Murfreesboro/Smyrna/La Vergne would be a good leg to do).

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting link to the TN about interest from the Lakewood community as to adding a stop to the STAR leg from Downtown to Lebanon. Although, it is interesting as how this will work since Lakewood sits on a spur from the route.

Lakewood requesting temporary commuter rail stop

Google map of Lakewood

Edited by timmay143

Interesting link to the TN about interest from the Lakewood community as to adding a stop to the STAR leg from Downtown to Lebanon. Although, it is interesting as how this will work since Lakewood sits on a spur from the route.

Lakewood requesting temporary commuter rail stop

Google map of Lakewood

hmmm very interesting.. a temporary 2-week train stop to gauge interest... i wonder how much interest there really is from the Lakewood and Old Hickory communities?

I assume there would need to be another train route that goes from Lakewood to Donelson.. instead of Hermitage to Donelson.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is an email i got today.

I'm not sure if it's prudent to paste this here, so if not, let me know and i can summarize it.

Music City Star to operate two-week service from Lakewood

Free train rides available on Tuesday, Oct. 13

Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 13 and continuing through Friday, Oct. 23, the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) will operate temporary weekday service of the Music City Star from Lakewood to downtown Nashville.

The train will depart from Lakewood City Hall at 7:10 a.m., stop at Donelson Station at 7:28 a.m. and arrive at Riverfront Station in downtown Nashville at 7:40 a.m. The afternoon train will depart Riverfront Station at 5:10 p.m., stop in Donelson at 5:23 p.m. and arrive in Lakewood at 5:40 p.m.

On Oct. 13, people boarding the Music City Star at Lakewood City Hall will be able to ride the train for free to and from Nashville. Tickets will be required on the other days. A Single-Trip/one-way ticket for service from Lakewood costs $4.25. Tickets are now available and must be purchased at the Lakewood City Hall (3401 Hadley Ave.) from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tickets will not be sold on the train platform.

Shuttle buses meet commuters upon arrival at Riverfront Station. The Route 93 Music City Star West End Shuttle travels up Broadway, West End and over to the Vanderbilt and Belmont campuses. The Route 94 Music City Star Downtown Shuttle loops through downtown. Shuttles to Riverfront Station travel these same routes in the afternoon. Riders will need to show their train ticket or EasyRide card to board these buses or pay $1.60 bus fare. For more detailed route information, visit www.musiccitystar.org.

This temporary service from Lakewood is designed to gauge the interest of commuters from Lakewood, Old Hickory and Madison. The Music City Star, which recently celebrated its third anniversary, operates Monday through Friday from Lebanon to Nashville with stops in Martha, Mt. Juliet, Hermitage and Donelson.

For more information, go online to www.musiccitystar.org or call Customer Care at (615) 862-5950 weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Regional Transportation Authority

130 Nestor Street {sodEmoji.|} Nashville, TN 37210

615-862-5950

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Tampa. Saw several commercials and advertisements for rail services in the region (for future use, not built yet). It seems one is to connect Tampa to Orlando and another to connect Tampa and Miami. I think both were high speed (I am pretty sure the Tampa to Miami was. I can't remember too many details since I was shut inside a hospital for two days! Nasty stomach flu sick.png). Plus they have a street car system in Tampa as well. I wish Nashville would implement some similar ideas. It would be cool to have high speed running through the state. I would love to see a street car system running in Nashville as well. I guess I am beating a dead horse. Any news on transit lately?

Anyone have an update on the Lakewood temporary train? How the trial went?

Also.. I don't think this was discussed here.. it was news to me at least.. the MCS now offers a Friday night train to/from downtown..

http://www.musiccity...ain_4-22-09.pdf

Good news and good catch. At least they are taking some steps towards expansion. Now only if more legs were available!!

• 1 month later...

it appears the Star is seeing some success as they are adding additional cars onto the early morning and evening trains to accommodate increased ridership.

email;

Effective Monday, January 25, 2010, an extra car will be added to the Music City Star for your convenience due to increasing ridership. The car will be added to the train that departs Lebanon at 6:40 a.m. en route to Nashville and the train that leaves Nashville at 5:05 p.m.

Thank you for riding the Music City Star.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here but GA isn't getting any high speed rail anytime soon. Our do nothing state leaders who spend more time trying to "stick it" to Atlanta than helping the state's economic engine spend nothing on public transit and because of that, GA was only given $750,000 by the Obama administration for rail studies. Meanwhile, Florida and North Carolina are leaving us in the dust.

That is to say that a Nashville/Atlanta HSR line is most likely not going to happen anytime soon but the bright side is that TN doesn't have to feel so left out now with bullet train development. A Nashville/Louisville/Indy/Chicago line is much more probable at this point (I'd rather take one to Chicago anyway).

http://m.ajc.com/opinion/high-speed-rail-lines-289551.html

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here but GA isn't getting any high speed rail anytime soon. Our do nothing state leaders who spend more time trying to "stick it" to Atlanta than helping the state's economic engine spend nothing on public transit and because of that, GA was only given $750,000 by the Obama administration for rail studies. Meanwhile, Florida and North Carolina are leaving us in the dust.

That is to say that a Nashville/Atlanta HSR line is most likely not going to happen anytime soon but the bright side is that TN doesn't have to feel so left out now with bullet train development. A Nashville/Louisville/Indy/Chicago line is much more probable at this point (I'd rather take one to Chicago anyway).

http://m.ajc.com/opi...nes-289551.html

You're right about FL. I was in Tampa in December, and there were advertisements about high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando and Tampa to Miami. I imagine that states like North Carolina and Florida are higher up on the important list since they are tied to the East Coast and have ports like Miami et al. But yeah, they are way ahead. Maybe we will get the trickle effect once other places get high speed, and they will have to go through Nashville to get somewhere else!

Edited by timmay143