The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/07/parking-has-eaten-american-cities/565715/

Maybe if we take away their parking spaces the suburbanite leeches will either stop invading our city and stealing from us or maybe they will finally get on board and work with us to build a transit system.

How are they stealing from you? I grew up in Williamson County, so you've intrigued me. 

• Like 1

Yep, those suburbanite leeches who spend so much on sports tickets, theatre & concert tickets, hotel rooms, beer, beer, beer, food,  and TIPS to servers...they steal all the hotel towels,  any logo ash trays left anywhere in town, and they steal the dreams of some folks, it would seem. (But hot damn, those leeches and tourists spend truckloads of cash while they are here-lots of it taxes and fees targeted to them. I’m thankful for their contributions to our city, even if I don’t particularly appreciate much of their behavior.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

I have to think he meant "stealing" (tongue in cheek) as in taking up huge amounts of the inner core with parking spaces and garages.

But you all definitely took it a different way, ha. 

Yeah his intent seemed clear, but it certainly was quite a defensive reaction!

Edited by samsonh

I understand where the frustration is coming from, and @grilled_cheese makes a good case against suburban commuting. I'm someone who has only known rural and suburban life, yet I don't disagree with his opinion that this lifestyle contributes to ugly, unhealthy cities.

But there is a much better way to convey your frustration than to say what he said. "Suburbanite leeches"..... I mean, really???? No shame in defending the opinion at all, but saying something like that is plain ignorant. I mean, come on, man. 

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Yeah his intent seemed clear, but it certainly was quite a defensive reaction!

You seem surprised some people get defensive when they are called leeches. I don't understand how this went over your head

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I took it as they don't pay any property taxes that go towards Titans, Predators, Sounds, Ascend, etc. but drive across county lines and enjoy the benefits. 

Isn’t that kind of the point of the taxes that go towards all those things, to bring in people from the surrounding areas to spend money and thus help the city and its residents make more money? It’s a two-way street, without the suburbanites there wouldn’t be a football or hockey team in Nashville. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nativetenn said:

I understand where the frustration is coming from, and @grilled_cheese makes a good case against suburban commuting. I'm someone who has only known rural and suburban life, yet I don't disagree with his opinion that this lifestyle contributes to ugly, unhealthy cities.

But there is a much better way to convey your frustration than to say what he said. "Suburbanite leeches"..... I mean, really???? No shame in defending the opinion at all, but saying something like that is plain ignorant. I mean, come on, man. 

You seem surprised some people get defensive when they are called leeches. I don't understand how this went over your head

A comment was made(jokingly I believe, but who knows) that people are leeches over parking. It didn’t seem like something to think twice about honestly. 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:07 PM, nashvillwill said:

There is a lot more to this story than the article includes. But it boils down to this; Months of public meetings, countless neighbors adding input, a final plan that checked most boxes for everyone involved. A democratic process. The definition of “community plan”.

Then at the 11th hour, our Councilman vetos the plan. When constituents try to communicate with him about why, we get radio silence. Unanswered emails, voicemails, and social media messages. He never attended a single meeting, nor does he attend our neighborhood meetings. 

This is the status quo in District 5. 

Then a month later, we get these stories in the Tennessean, quoting none other than Sam McCullough, who is BFF with our Councilman. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/07/25/nashville-councilman-scott-davis-targeted-ethics-complaint/829760002/

WeGo (the new name for Nashville Metro Transit Authority) just endorsed a resolution of intent to buy the land at 4th Ave. South and Lafayette in SoBro (just recently purchased by the Convention Center Authority) to establish a secondary downtown transit hub.  This opens the door for future talks between WeGo and the Convention Authority to eventually make the purchase.

Janet Miller, vice chair of WeGo's board, said the agency must start preparing for when it reaches capacity at its current downtown bus hub on Charlotte Avenue. Central — previously called Music City Central — is undergoing a $6 million renovation.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/27/nashvilles-transit-agency-sets-its-sights-on-sobro.html

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 8.21.51 AM.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

WeGo (the new name for Nashville Metro Transit Authority) just endorsed a resolution of intent to buy the land at 4th Ave. South and Lafayette in SoBro (just recently purchased by the Convention Center Authority) to establish a secondary downtown transit hub.  This opens the door for future talks between WeGo and the Convention Authority to eventually make the purchase.

Janet Miller, vice chair of WeGo's board, said the agency must start preparing for when it reaches capacity at its current downtown bus hub on Charlotte Avenue. Central — previously called Music City Central — is undergoing a $6 million renovation.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/27/nashvilles-transit-agency-sets-its-sights-on-sobro.html

What do you think this means for this prime land considering the tunnel isn't happening yet?

Just a bus hub? I wish we could do more to help improve the connectivity and ease of movement through downtown. I wonder if we could even pass 1 light rail line from the airport to this sobro hub

Edited by nashwatcher
  • Like 3

TDOT has awarded the contract for reconstruction of I-440 to Kiewit Infrastructure South Co.,that submitted a low bid of $152.9 million.

Work on the project will begin in the fall and will not include complete closure of the interstate, with two lanes of the highway will remain open during peak morning and afternoon travel times.

The initial stage will include installation of a fiber optic network and new lighting, construction of noise walls and smaller projects designed to alleviate congestion at the exits with both Hillsboro Road/21st Avenue and Murphy Road.

Early next year, the firm will begin replacing concrete pavement, widening the roadway and removing the center raised median. In the spring, work will begin 24 hours per day, six to seven days per week.

Work on the bridge over I-65 will begin in the fall of 2019, according to the release, with anticipated completion of the full project in August 2020.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/transportation/article/21016057/tdot-awards-153m-contract-for-440-work

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

So when can we expect the notaxfortrax people to protest spending $152,000,000 on a glorified repaving of one stretch of one freeway? Oh... what's that you say? They won't because they're a bunch of dishonest hypocrites? I see.  

It doesn’t cover enough people! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

So when can we expect the notaxfortrax people to protest spending $152,000,000 on a glorified repaving of one stretch of one freeway? Oh... what's that you say? They won't because they're a bunch of dishonest hypocrites? I see.  

440 does absolutely nothing for the surrounding counties!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It appears the cost/total contract is actually $223.7M: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/construction/design-build_projects/i-440/Contract Awards I440.pdf

$30M per-mile to add a lane to some parts of I440 and resurface within existing right-of-way. Anyone care to extrapolate what "double-stacking the interstates" would cost?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1