The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

4 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Once again let me repeat that traffic reduction, particularly for suburban commuters, is not really the point of urban mass rail transit.  I also fail to understand how the mere existence of relatively successful cities that lack rail transit is being used as an argument against it.  

It’s being adduced as proof that cities don’t need it to thrive and get people to work on time.

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.walkbikenashville.org/impossible_crossings

A lot of these are state controlled at what point does the city get to take over to protect it's citizens?

TDOT defers to municipalities for most operations on state routes, particularly areas at or near signalized intersections. Metro can more or less do what it wants, when it wants.

I think you'll find the logjam here isn't on the state's side.

• Like 3

I didn't know that our city's transportation issues and funding are handled by Public Works. What is the reason for this? It can't be size; even Chattanooga, with less than 200k people, has its own DOT. Is it the area of the city? Davidson County is a lot of space for one city to cover, so maybe it's easier for TDOT to handle Nashville-Davidson. 

Do you think our pedestrian infrastructure would be better if Metro had its own DOT? I feel like we may still have the same problems, e.g. lack of funding and more important issues to fix. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

At the end of the day, it's the same issue as transit, or really anything else. Is it realistic to expect Metro to be able to pour resources into this one facet of the city's infrastructure? Is the level of service that these groups advocate for realistic relative to other needs? Same with TDOT, except now we're talking about the entire state, not just Nashville. These agencies have a finite amount of money and resources.

I do think problem areas that have been problem areas for awhile should be addressed. I’m sure they are on a spreadsheet backlog somewhere. But there should be a incredibly low tolerance for people getting killed before the city/state does something, ie the part of Nolensville by the Walmart. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They are considering a 40 billion upgrade to NYC subway system, but how to pay for a system thats falling apart.

Call me a snobby wuss if you will- I won't fight you- but New York's underground is frickin' disgusting. It was absolutely filthy everywhere I went.  You couldn't pay me to ride it in most parts of the City. Mostly out of fear for my safety. When I was there, I admit to sticking to Uber most of the time. I felt fifty times safer on street level. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Call me a snobby wuss if you will- I won't fight you- but New York's underground is frickin' disgusting. It was absolutely filthy everywhere I went.  You couldn't pay me to ride it in most parts of the City. Mostly out of fear for my safety. When I was there, I admit to sticking to Uber most of the time. I felt fifty times safer on street level. 

I mean, I wouldn’t eat off the floors but it’s not too terrible, in my experience. Or at least it’s better than what it was 20-30 years ago. There are occasional rats and lots of garbage, but it’s a primarily underground transit system in a city of 8 million plus so that’s to be expected. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pdt2f said:

I mean, I wouldn’t eat off the floors but it’s not too terrible, in my experience. Or at least it’s better than what it was 20-30 years ago. There are occasional rats and lots of garbage, but it’s a primarily underground transit system in a city of 8 million plus so that’s to be expected. 

It's great for what it is and a necessity for the City, but if I'm being honest, I was thinking NYC could do better than what it currently has. I'm very glad to hear it has gotten better.