The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

30 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Can we just go back to calling it MTA?  WeGo sounds SO corny and small town to me... like a company of short buses you'd see in any random little burg that is used primarily by old folks who can't drive that use it to get between the nursing home and the Bingo hall.  

It sounds like a laxative to me.

A couple of years ago I emailed the MTA and told them we should have the main bus system called Music City Link- since we already had Music City Circuit and Music City Star. They replied they weren't going to change the name anytime soon.

I also wanted the color scheme dark blue and gold-the Predators' colors. Instead we get a purple laxative.

Oh well.....

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I'm fine with Wego and I think the purple buses are lively and eye-catching.  It would be harder to see a black and gold bus coming.  It's good to see a bus from far away, it makes the wait seem shorter and people get their passes and money ready.

Good point.  While waiting for the bus yesterday, I kept looking and looking and looking.  Perhaps that's a sign of a bus-riding-newbie - lots of looking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Bond said:

Extremely easy, though a credit card payment method would have helped.  I had to make sure I had three $1 bills and one quarter.  Walked from 12th and Division to 12th and Broadway, waited at the stop for about 10 minutes, stepped on the bus and paid cash for an All-Day Pass, and got off at West End and Acklen.  Reverse on the way back.  The bus was relatively full for a midday trip, I thought, though this route must be one of WeGo's busiest.  Used the time on the bus to catch up on some emails.

Bottom line: I feel more comfortable using WeGo and will factor this into my decision to keep my car or sell it.  Also, I will happily support additional busses and new cross-routes for WeGo.

Nice!

I'll say, when I'm ambling about with no timetable, the bus system is great. It's comfortable and I don't have do the driving. Google Maps is a fantastic app to use to track the buses. Just zoom in until you see the bus stop icon show up, touch it, and it shows the lines that serve that particular stop. You can drill in to a screen that shows you where the bus is and everything, it's pretty well done. On my phone (a Pixel 2 XL), the WeGo app refuses to work so I use Google Maps. Another that works well is an app called "Transit":

https://transitapp.com/

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I'm fine with Wego and I think the purple buses are lively and eye-catching.  It would be harder to see a black and gold bus coming.  It's good to see a bus from far away, it makes the wait seem shorter and people get their passes and money ready.

I’m surprised by how much I like the new naming and color scheme. Normally I’m not one for idiotic rebranding of public services, but maybe it’s just that beautiful purple and silver that makes me love this change. 

• Like 2

Mt. Juliet has set aside $2 million that officials hope will accelerate construction of a new interchange planned at Central Pike and Interstate 40.

The proposed Central Pike interchange would be built west of Mt. Juliet Road near mile marker 225.

The interchange is needed to relieve Mt. Juliet Road traffic as the city grows and to open up development and economic growth opportunities around Central Pike, Mt. Juliet Deputy Public Works Director Andy Barlow said.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/2018/11/29/mt-juliet-new-interchange-40-central-pike-funding/2136328002/

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.58.02 PM.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I’m surprised by how much I like the new naming and color scheme. Normally I’m not one for idiotic rebranding of public services, but maybe it’s just that beautiful purple and silver that makes me love this change. 

I think the purple looks great. The name could be better, but the new buses look more inviting than the old.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Armacing said:

I agree that the name doesn't sound very official, but I wonder if that is an intentional marketing ploy.  Hear me out on this:  I recently started working downtown after being in the suburbs for 20 years and I wasn't up-to-speed on the MTA renaming.  So I saw WeGo and my first thought was "Is there a new start-up company competing with MTA now, kind of like Uber or Lyft, but with buses?".  So maybe my own un-informed assumption gives a window into what the marketing team was looking for:  something that sounds new, hip, maybe innovative like a tech start-up, maybe cooler to ride for the young folks who don't want to ride  something that has the word "Authority" in it.

That's a very interesting take!  You might be on to something there.

Here is the article link for those of you that do. I do think that the transit plan would have had a much better chance if it has not been as ambitious as it was. They really needed to take it slower like Charlotte and other cities have.

Here is a key quote

"In Austin, Texas, a more modest $160 million bond proposal passed by 81 percent of voters who agreed to pay for road, sidewalk and pedestrian safety infrastructure.

Just four years before, a light rail proposal failed in Austin.

So, it is likely that any future referendums in Nashville will have to be less costly, hyper-focused and clearer to voters"

Interestingly there is a graph showing percentages of people that drive alone to work and Charlotte is at 76.3%, Nashville 78.36%, Austin 74 %, Raleigh 78.74%, Indy 81.96% to name a few.

So even with the Lynx Charlotte does not fair much better than Nashville. Austin with one leg of their system does better than both , however Austin is much more compact in many ways than Nashville or Charlotte.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/david-plazas/2018/11/30/nashville-transit-moving-forward-incremental-david-plazas/2137151002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Here is the article link for those of you that do. I do think that the transit plan would have had a much better chance if it has not been as ambitious as it was. They really needed to take it slower like Charlotte and other cities have.

Here is a key quote

"In Austin, Texas, a more modest $160 million bond proposal passed by 81 percent of voters who agreed to pay for road, sidewalk and pedestrian safety infrastructure.

Just four years before, a light rail proposal failed in Austin.

So, it is likely that any future referendums in Nashville will have to be less costly, hyper-focused and clearer to voters"

Interestingly there is a graph showing percentages of people that drive alone to work and Charlotte is at 76.3%, Nashville 78.36%, Austin 74 %, Raleigh 78.74%, Indy 81.96% to name a few.

So even with the Lynx Charlotte does not fair much better than Nashville. Austin with one leg of their system does better than both , however Austin is much more compact in many ways than Nashville or Charlotte.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/david-plazas/2018/11/30/nashville-transit-moving-forward-incremental-david-plazas/2137151002/

Charlotte stands as an argument that light rail is a transit-killer. At last check, bus ridership was plummeting.

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

Mt. Juliet has set aside $2 million that officials hope will accelerate construction of a new interchange planned at Central Pike and Interstate 40.

The proposed Central Pike interchange would be built west of Mt. Juliet Road near mile marker 225.

The interchange is needed to relieve Mt. Juliet Road traffic as the city grows and to open up development and economic growth opportunities around Central Pike, Mt. Juliet Deputy Public Works Director Andy Barlow said.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/2018/11/29/mt-juliet-new-interchange-40-central-pike-funding/2136328002/

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.58.02 PM.png

Interesting that they want to spend the money on this with the large mall interchange just up the road. Granted there is alot of traffic, but these interchanges are not cheap. Why not invest in re-working the issues of the existing interchange to handle traffic better (ie Diverging Diamond type)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

That's way too close to the SR 171 interchange. They're barely a mile apart. Why not just a realignment of Pleasant Grove Road?

A.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Wowza.  This guy is lucky to live to tell about it.      To his credit, though, he was not riding on the sidewalk, just forgot about red lights.   

From what I observe on a daily basis, we will be seeing a lot more of this sort of thing.