The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I know very little about transit, but seems to me there should be at least two criteria used to determine routes:

1. Go where there is already a relatively dense population who would use the transit

2. Go where the land is affordable and plentiful for rights-of-way for the route and future residential development

Spitballing here, but using my criteria above, it seems Murfreesboro Rd. would be the best choice between BNA & DT. 

• Like 2

I've always thought this is the lowest hanging fruit.  Airports have a plentiful supply of car-less people looking to get away from the airport, and the single largest geographic destination for these people is downtown Nashville.  Downtown also serves as the hub for the reminder of the transit system, so connections from feeder bus lines to the LRT/BRT line to the airport should be easy. The tourism component should support a decent level of service which goes a long way to getting other people on the trains or buses. 

While running this down Murfreesboro is the obvious first choice, I would also think running this down Nolensville and then out to the airport around Harding should also be a consideration. The Nolensville corridor should produce more trips than the Murfreesboro corridor, although the trip to the airport would probably be 50% longer and 50% more expensive. 

• Like 3

I'm just now seeing this. 

It should go down Murfreesboro rd. This would do several things. 

It would be a great sample for the city and county. Showing what transit can be. 

Yes that corridor is not the most densely populated. But, that can actually be an advantage. It is in desperate need of a cleanup. 

A transit line could be the catalyst for this.  For people complaining that development is spread everywhere. This could show that with transit, development could be focused on cooridors instead. 

Unrelated, I saw this and had to share. 

• Like 4

Agree completely. This would be a giant step in the right direction. Run this thing down Murfreesboro Rd. Our tourism industry is so strong it alone will get great use out of this. Build affordable housing along Murfreesboro Rd for the thousands of downtown service workers that are part of the backbone of our tourism industry.

Also, the corridor becomes more dense. It will show how transit can help with sprawl. Ideally at the SoBro transit hub (built for future expansion) we'll have street cars as well to circulate tourists/workers around downtown so they can be dropped off near their final destinations.

• Like 1

The problem with siting the line on Murfreesboro Pike or another dense corridor, as @PHofKS sort of alluded to,  is that it detracts from its role as an airport connector. Ideally the line only has two stops at the terminals (presumably Riverfront Station and the proposed multimodal terminal at the airport). The number of people who would use it at any intermediate stop is small relative to the number of people trying to get between the airport and downtown, so trying to include stops is a bit counterproductive. It's just slowing down the larger volumes of people trying to travel between the airport and downtown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

The problem with siting the line on Murfreesboro Pike or another dense corridor, as @PHofKS sort of alluded to,  is that it detracts from its role as an airport connector. Ideally the line only has two stops at the terminals (presumably Riverfront Station and the proposed multimodal terminal at the airport). The number of people who would use it at any intermediate stop is small relative to the number of people trying to get between the airport and downtown, so trying to include stops is a bit counterproductive. It's just slowing down the larger volumes of people trying to travel between the airport and downtown.

Are there any such airport connectors in North America ? Marta has several stops. Vancouver’s SkyTrain has as many as ten stops, Etc.

• Like 1

Very few if any airport rail lines are dedicated, and even Philly's SEPTA Airport Regional takes advantage of a few intermediate stops between the airport and Center City.  That said, airport lines are almost always integrated into a network of one or more other lines with one or more direct interconnections.  That helps to offset the cost of running an airport rail line, which still needs the frequency of convenience to attract collateral ridership.  Not saying 37 stops would work, but airport lines work best in conjunction with a more inclusive service route, even if that requires expansion down the time line.

Also, LRT would allow the line to possibly (but not necessarily) have a Gulch presence, for more centralized access to lines planable in the far- distant future (when we're all gone under), whether or not commuter rail with CSXT every materializes.   An airport line really would fare better when it could become integrated with future routes, and that just cannot happen with the RJCorman-MCS line.  And whether or LRT would have a Gulch presence, it needs to tie in with future lines somewhere not constrained by the current Riverfront stub-end.  There actually might remain a possibility for some LRT within the Gulch district, some kind and somehow, but that has become remote, as most of the past potential has become consumed by development.  Plus, no one seems to want a transit tunnel, as we have seen.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Agree. I don’t think a stop every other block is a good idea but 3-5 quick stops will allow us to get more bang for our buck. It’ll encourage Murfreesboro Pike to densify which will be helpful in many ways, including affordable housing and helping alleviate service workers who have a hard time getting into downtown

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

I see what you did there!

[pic of arch-roof heavyweight coach]

Just paint a white smile on this beauty!

:shok:
Is that your coach, Mr. Bond??!!
That's a gorgeous model U got ThaR!  Reminds me of a 72-foot (compartment; 80-ft overall) Southern Pacific "Sub" (suburban coach) used from the 1920s through the '60s, sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Harriman" coaches.  The blue-and-cream sort of reminds me of Reading Lines (Philadelphia and Reading).

Edited by rookzie
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

@volsfanwill Those are cool systems. I did research on those exact ones (and possibly this video). Too bad many of them are broken or dont function properly. Want to talk about bike parking... Check out the Bike garage in Utrecht, Germnay

Having been brutally occupied by the Nazis during World War II, the good people of Utrecht would be horrified to find out their old Dutch city is now part of Germany.  Utrecht is and always has been part of the Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rookzie said:

:shok:
Is that your coach, Mr. Bond??!!
That's a gorgeous model U got ThaR!  Reminds me of a 72-foot (compartment; 80-ft overall) Southern Pacific "Sub" (suburban coach) used from the 1920s through the '60s, sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Harriman" coaches.  The blue-and-cream sort of reminds me of Reading Lines (Philadelphia and Reading).

It's almost this shade of blue...

248336748_MV5BMTc2NTc2NzkyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjExNzczNA@@._V1_SY1000_CR007821000_AL_.thumb.jpg.ebbcfe45d76533a6aed44777163630a3.jpg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Having been brutally occupied by the Nazis during World War II, the good people of Utrecht would be horrified to find out their old Dutch city is now part of Germany.  Utrecht is and always has been part of the Netherlands.

my bad. idk how i managed to screw that up. corrected

• Like 1