The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Please do not all cast stones at me for my treason, but I can honestly say I am coming around to a certain extent. I just wish Nashville had better bike lane infrastructure so the police could ticket those riders on the sidewalk

Agree. The scooters are not going away and they are here to stay. I'm all for new methods of transportation and welcome something as eco friendly as scooters. But, with their sudden and seemingly permanent appearance and presence in our city, it is incumbent on the city to provide safe travel ways to protect scooterers, pedestrians and, to some extent, all vehicles. 

In my recent encounter with scooters, I had to stop suddenly as a scooter rider hit a pole on the sidewalk and tumbled into the street just a few feet in front of me. I asked him if he was ok, twice, although he appeared somewhat shook up. He indicated he was fine, so I moved on. 

I don't like scooters on sidewalks any more than I like mixing them with fast, two-ton vehicles. This third form of transportation may need it's on right-of-way on a restricted road layout and soon.

• Like 4

Agreed! While not being anti-scooter, I have always viewed myself as someone who would never ride one. Tonight as I was trapped downtown with a 45 minute lyft and uber wait, I found myself downloading scooter apps desperately trying to find a way out. Alas, all scooters nearby were out of commission, but I totally see the need for them now!

• Like 1

Metro could rather easily (in theory) convert bike lanes into dedicated bike/scooter lanes and clearly mark them as such. Scooters and bicycles would co-exist well if given the space. 

My hope is that Metro has a secret plan already devised to deal with the scooter influx, but I won't be shocked if there isn't one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The problem is that they think the traffic issue stops at 840 when in fact goes on into Lebanon and the widening needs to get through that area to really help more. Sort of what they did in Murfreesboro.

Just like they need to widen I-65 all the way to the Saturn Pkwy exit.  That's a total cluster down there.

• Like 4

How about Ii-24 between Murfreesboro and Chattanooga. The Improve Act calls for widening the segment between I-59 and downtown, but that's so inadequate. The last two years, whenever I've driven back from Nashville, no matter when I've left, traffic backs up before I-59 now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

How about Ii-24 between Murfreesboro and Chattanooga. The Improve Act calls for widening the segment between I-59 and downtown, but that's so inadequate. The last two years, whenever I've driven back from Nashville, no matter when I've left, traffic backs up before I-59 now.

I'm thinking a 12 lane elevated highway between Nashville and Atlanta is called for. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not just traffic from surrounding counties. These days, interstate trucking needs its own dedicated lane through Tennessee. I-24 has not changed since I was driving to/from college/Atlanta. Ok... it's a little better since he EB section at Monteagle has been completed. That was u/c for almost my whole time at Vandy. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

Wow, that's awesome. Looks like they kind of gave up after Hawkins, but this would be a huge, huge upgrade for the mile and a half stretch going south. What's the status of this? Is it actually gonna happen or is this just a proposal that will get neutered?

Here is what is happening in the Tar Heel state concerning scooters on the state level and in Charlotte.  Recently Charlotte designated some sidewalks especially in our downtown as NO scooter areas as they were endangering pedestrians.  

https://www.wfae.org/post/north-carolina-scooters-get-first-regulation-house-bill#stream/0

• Like 2