The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

Metro is getting ready to implement a Downtown Bikeway project starting with 3rd and Commerce. 

Here’s a link to the proposed network:

https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/Transportation/Bikeways/Downtown Bikeway Projects - 2019.pdf

More details can be found below:

https://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Transportation/Bikeways/Downtown.aspx

Good.     I'm happy to hear this, BUT why just do this fragment?     The 3rd Ave piece in the plan connects with the Seigenthaler pedestrian bridge, which I agree needs to happen.     But it stops at KVB on the South and James Robertson on the north.    It is sooo close to connecting critical dots if it would just continue south on 3rd from KVB to Ash to connect with the Division St connector and if it would continue north on 3rd from James Robertson to Jefferson St (and ultimately north into Metro Center).       

3rd Ave north from James Robertson to Jefferson is a wreck right now due to the jail, Stockyards and Sounds projects.   When it gets repaved after those projects, it would be ideal to stripe bike lanes to complete this part of the bikeway. 

20 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

need high speed rail between Nashville and Atlanta.   stops in Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Dalton, Marietta, and Atlanta.

I keep halfway expecting Brightline to announce an Atlanta-Nashville line. There is already talk of an Atlanta-Charlotte line.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dale said:

I keep halfway expecting Brightline to announce an Atlanta-Nashville line. There is already talk of an Atlanta-Charlotte line.

I reckon it doesn't hurt too bad to dream that big.  Thing is, Brightline has been hosted on existing RoW of FEC Industries (Florida East Coast RR), the only pre-existing U.S  freight carrier (since FEC passenger service ended in 1971) to be pro-actively enterprising to promote new passenger-rail service (formerly "All-Aboard Florida").  Now that Virgin operates Brightline and has recently acquired the unfunded XpressWest efforts to run from Victorville to Las Vegas, Virgin has hit the ground running with the prospect of construction seemingly imminent.  That line would use the median of I-15, as well as federally owned land.

In the case of Nashville, and even Chatta., the issues of land-use and ownership seem to trump any realistic notion of ever seeing something like Brightline, even on the distant horizon, unless you look at that horizon from outer space.  It would, however, take the financial mettle of Virgin to move forward with such an initiative, even though several years ago, independent preliminary planning was undertaken to determine the optimal route for the concept from ATL to Chatta.  No CSX was involved with Brightline, one reason that it was able to happen at all.

Hell, I'd settle for that engine and two cars I used to be able to ride between Nashville and Atlanta, until 1970.  But even that never could happen again─not with the existing infrastructure, not anywhere close.  It used to dump you off at Forsyth St. downtown ATL.

Edited by rookzie
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

As someone with vision and a graphic designer. It bothers the living hell out of me that the blue they used on the map doesn't match any of the blues on the key.

And we red-green color blind people don't know what the heck is going on. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Gotcha Scooters is introducing 150 electric scooters in Nashville. They will be available 7 days a week from 6 am to 10pm, costing $1 to unlock, and then 15 cents per minute after that. Thy may expand their fleet to 500 if there is enough demand.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/21061929/of-note-29-march-2019

Another 150 death machines unleashed on Nashville.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Another 150 death machines unleashed on Nashville.

ok, this is getting to the point of absurdity.     How many scooter companies does that make now?      Downtown sidewalks in some places are so full of parked, unused scooters that people on foot can't pass by.  

• Like 1