The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, gannman said:

An express route from the airport would not be supported by the citizens of Nashville  if there are no stops in between. 

This is the conundrum.  Is it easier to include stops on the rail line in advance - when you have to convince neighborhoods to support the construction of a local station?  Or is it easier to build the rail line first and wait for the neighborhoods to recognize the advantage and compete over the placement of the station stops?   I don't have the answer, but it's all part of the beautiful mystery that is Nashville.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Are the overpasses on 440(I-40, I-65, and I-24) also being widen to three lanes?

The overpass at the I-65 stack interchange is being widened. The interchange ramps at I-40 and I-24 are remaining as they are.

43 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Is there a PDF of the construction in detail for the public to see?

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/tdot-construction-division/transportation-construction-alternative-contracting/transportation-construction-division-design-build-i-440.html

Under "Reference Material". Note that these are the conceptual plans provided by TDOT and not the final plans produced by the design-builder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hopefully they do the light rail line down Murfreesboro Rd  from the airport before then?? There's an obvious need for that and then we can use that model to show the public how well it works (with at least 3-4 stops along Murfreesboro Rd to encourage development). The future lines could tie in to the station on Lafayette that's built for the airport line.

• Like 2

I don't know why I punish myself, from the Tennessean article. 

"For people who are dedicated to diverting taxpayer monies into their own pockets (in this case, the real estate developers in the Chamber of Commerce), the "momentum" will always be there."

Posted by a "person" on facebook with no friends, 2 pictures, a completely legit profile I'm sure. That comment was followed by 5 points, dare I say almost exactly the talking points of the anti-transit folks. 

10 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Here are a few photos of the recently opened first line of Oklahoma City's streetcar system.  As you can see, it has created a real traffic nightmare.  lol ;)

https://www.camelsandchocolate.com/oklahoma-city-streetcar/

A street car in Nashville would be nice. Imagine one from midtown to downtown or at least one from midtown to CBD. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Here are a few photos of the recently opened first line of Oklahoma City's streetcar system.  As you can see, it has created a real traffic nightmare.  lol ;)

https://www.camelsandchocolate.com/oklahoma-city-streetcar/

Thanks for sending. 

I'll refrain from debating if $130MM for a streetcar is worth it... However, looking at Oklahoma City's tallest building made me think... that simple crown does a lot, and I hope pray cry scream that Nashville Yards does something similar with their 40 story tower. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

How about lets cut the mayors salary to zero.  I think its high time the little weasel starts looking long term for a solution as he is more interested in getting reelected. I will bet if you ask him right now if he has a plan to raise taxes he will say no, but after he is re-elected then they will go up. I would have much more respect for the man if he raised them and made the hard choice now. 

Taxes are going to have to rise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1