The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I walked pass a stack of scooters on a corner of 12 South yesterday. I do mean a stack, haphazardly strewn. On Demonbreun (at 8th) yesterday, 4 were weaving among the cars stopped for the light (including mine). Their stay in Nashville is doomed.....at least for the near future.

• Like 1

In regards to the scooter corrals, I appreciate the city's efforts, but I am not sure how much good they'll do given the fact that most people are too lazy and unconcerned with their neighbor's well-being to even put their shopping cart in the parking lot cart corrals.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

In regards to the scooter corrals, I appreciate the city's efforts, but I am not sure how much good they'll do given the fact that most people are too lazy and unconcerned with their neighbor's well-being to even put their shopping cart in the parking lot cart corrals.  

Except now the city will have something clear to enforce downtown, and the scooter companies can easily pass the fine along to the person who didn’t park it in the specified area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Except now the city will have something clear to enforce downtown, and the scooter companies can easily pass the fine along to the person who didn’t park it in the specified area. 

Metro is not going to enforce it! Trust me, as they are short on manpower to send the scooter police around writing tickets.

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Davidson County has already had 5 more car fatalities this year than last year (28 compared to 33) and cars take up way too much space on roads and a lot of people drive them drunk. The parking of them is haphazard and can block roads, driveways and landing areas. 

Let's ban the cars! Absolutely disgusting that the Mayor won't do anything about these cards. 

If people start driving cars on the sidewalks and leaving cars strewn randomly in the pedestrian right of way, then yep, we would have to crack down on cars, too.     

Article about Paris' love/hate relationship with scooters.    Paris is forecast to have 40,000 scooters by the end of the year!    

An electric scooter scourge is stalking Paris

https://www.ft.com/content/b994895e-83a6-11e9-b592-5fe435b57a3b

As a pedestrian or cyclist you usually don’t hear them coming, unless you catch the faint whine of the motor as the electric scooter hurtles past you, revealing the rear view of a couple of laughing teenagers, a Chinese tourist, or a French businessman — buttocks tightly clenched as he balances on the scooter’s tiny platform — on his way to work.

Paris in 2019 is a chaotic experimental playground for all kinds of new electric vehicles, but among them it is the ubiquitous trottinette that currently dominates the streets — and unfortunately also the pavements — of the French capital. (To avoid confusion, it should be explained that these trottinettes, with wheels the size of those on a supermarket trolley, are the electric version of a child’s scooter; in France un scooter is a small motorcycle).

At first glance this electric free-for-all seems like good news for the environment, the people of Paris and the sharing economy. But it cannot last. The number of trottinettes offered for rent by a dozen companies such as Lime, Bird and Tier is forecast to rise from 15,000 to about 40,000 by the end of the year. They jostle for space not only with old-fashioned bicycles (that’s me) and vehicles running on diesel or petrol but also with shared electric cars, electric-assisted bicycles such as Uber’s bright-red Jump, and privately owned electric skateboards and electric monowheels, a kind of stand-up unicycle balanced by gyroscopes and accelerometers.

In a nation ferociously keen on introducing, if not enforcing, bureaucratic rules, it all screams out for regulation of the sort already applied in early-adopting cities such as San Francisco. And regulation is coming, first from local authorities, then from big city mayors such as those of Paris and Bordeaux and finally from the national government.

The first problem is safety. The tiny wheels make the scooters hard to use on the many cobbled streets of Paris. Few users wear helmets or obey the rules of the road, and anecdotal evidence suggests many riders and pedestrians have been injured.

Then there is the parking, or rather the lack of it. Pedestrians in Paris must navigate around scooters thrown carelessly across the pavement or abandoned in doorways, because most rental companies do not have docking stations. “It’s incredibly ugly,” complains Gaspard Gantzer, who is campaigning to be elected as the city’s next mayor in 2020. “And Paris is the world’s most beautiful city.”

Inevitably, French cities are hastily designating parking areas and starting to fine users and rental companies that fail to comply. “Hear this, electric scooter operators,” declared a frustrated Jérôme Coumet, mayor of Paris’s 13th arrondissement, in a video posted on Twitter two weeks ago. “Electric scooters badly parked on the pavements — it’s over. We will organise regular collection and systematic removal to the vehicle pound. It’s enough. I will give no quarter.”

Even the environmental, commercial and social benefits of the electric trottinettes are questionable. Every morning and evening, conventionally powered vans drive all over Paris to pick up the stray scooters and take them away for charging. The recharging is often done by freelance “juicers” who plug them in at home to earn some pocket money.

The trottinettes, furthermore, are frequently abused and vandalised. (Why, I asked my two daughters the other day, are there so many bikes and scooters hurled into the Seine? “Because boys exist,” they replied. But that is another story.)

A study by the Boston Consulting Group found that the average rental e-scooter had a lifespan of just three months, whereas it took almost four months for a rental company to break even on its investment in the product. In Paris, the average lifespan is probably a lot less, and Mr Gantzer reckons some last less than a month.

If you take a stroll along the recently pedestrianised left bank of the Seine in central Paris on a Sunday morning, you are bound to witness the good and the bad of a trottinette craze that may be reaching its peak: tourists and Parisians being carried swiftly and silently between the Ile de la Cité and the Eiffel Tower; but also the half-drowned carcasses of high-tech scooters and e-bikes that have been flung into the river the night before.

Just watched some of the "infrastructure delivery" meeting they had last Wed on sidewalks and bikeways. CM Henderson did a great job chairing it, and tried to get to the bottom of who decided to delay the downtown bike lanes (around the 1 hours 25 minute mark). Briley's director of public works basically won't answer the question.

https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/8610/Special-Meeting-of-the-Public-Works-Committee-May-29-2019.aspx

• Thanks 1

Terrifying ... I suppose the natural progression in vehicular beotchization would be a duck boat bar that traverses both land and sea, and then I guess a bar on a blimp?

Edit: I am very amused at the word substitution that seems to have automatically been applied to the word I typed after "vehicular." Seems to be an UrbanPlanet-ism?

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Buildtall said:

I friend of mine is in Pittsburgh today and snapped a picture of something we don’t have in Nashville . . . . YET!

TIKI Bar Boats

F65D37A7-C382-4DC4-A1F1-D1AEDF771CEE.jpeg

I'm sure that will come if we ever figure out how to active the river that runs right through the middle of the city....