The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I expected a bunch of fluff, but this looks like some pretty substantive commitments to me. I wonder if this will be enough to get through the backlash. In my experience there has been some improvement downtown lately. Gonna be tough rowing though, the mayor said on CNN he has a friend that went over the handlebars on one of these and lost his two front teeth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AronG said:

I expected a bunch of fluff, but this looks like some pretty substantive commitments to me. I wonder if this will be enough to get through the backlash. In my experience there has been some improvement downtown lately. Gonna be tough rowing though, the mayor said on CNN he has a friend that went over the handlebars on one of these and lost his two front teeth.

Guess he will be singing All he wants for Christmas is his Two Front Teeth.

• Haha 1

There is a lot of Operator commitments there, especially to the re-distributing of scooters (excuse me, "Shared Urban Mobility Device" because why not make the name ridiculously more complicated). This means they will have to actually hire people to move throughout the city on a constant basis. Their models have relied on people charging these at home and placing them in the city. That's a pretty big investment for the pilot period, will be interested to see if they make that type of investment. I do like the partnerships with the NCDC and Walk Bike Nashville along with Metro, they have their work cut out for them, but I like it nonetheless.

There should totally be dedicated funding from these scooters (SUMDs) to the sidewalk and infrastructure fund. One thing I would also be interested in is Geo-netting sidewalks. They have talked about being accurate with geo-nets around places like hospitals and vanderbilt to within 5'-0". Scooters are riding on the sidewalks that are at least that wide, why can't they place geo-nets on the sidewalks all around the city where bike lanes are located along the streets?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

There is a lot of Operator commitments there, especially to the re-distributing of scooters (excuse me, "Shared Urban Mobility Device" because why not make the name ridiculously more complicated). This means they will have to actually hire people to move throughout the city on a constant basis. Their models have relied on people charging these at home and placing them in the city. That's a pretty big investment for the pilot period, will be interested to see if they make that type of investment.

I would imagine they will utilize the same model they already use for charging and distributing scooters, that is, allow "independent contractors" to sign up via the app to roam the city and pay them on a scooters-uprighted/moved basis.

41 minutes ago, AronG said:

Achieving 20% of that number in one year with no real investment from Metro seems pretty remarkable.

That's the key, same goes for Uber, Lyft, et al. People who live, work, and play in Nashville have increased mobility options thanks to these companies and the city/state has not had to invest anything to get it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

That's the key, same goes for Uber, Lyft, et al. People who live, work, and play in Nashville have increased mobility options thanks to these companies and the city/state has not had to invest anything to get it.

I couldn't agree more. If the city can't figure out a solution to develop better, more user-friendly mass transit, then you can believe private companies are going to swoop in and solve the problem for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, markhollin said:

I-440 widening update.

Looking west from Belmont Blvd. overpass:

I-440, June 15, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking east from Belmont Blvd. overpass:

I-440, June 15, 2019, 2.jpg

Great pictures!  People will love it when it is completed, but you can't please everyone.  I avoid the area completely, but it looks like things are moving along well.  Ive mainly followed the progress by looking at the TDOT Smartway Traffic cameras.

• Like 4