The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I rarely get on the Interstae anymore as I just take the backroads everywhere. If I am out during morning rush for an appointment I get to my location faster by going the backroads. 

I just dont get on the streets during the evening rush, but I understand some of you dont have that option or dont live close enough in to take the backroads. 

I have not been on 440 since they started work.

Wasn't it supposed to take like 3 years for the 440 project to be completed?  It seems like they have accomplished a whole lot of work in just a few months. I don't use 440 as much as I used to, but the expansion is something it needed.

It still blows my mind that a city like Nashville has multiple sections on the interstate where it goes down to just 2 lanes. I get that additional lanes aren't going to solve all our problems, but bottlenecks like this are a killer for traffic. I don't know the numbers of how many commute up I24N from Murfreesboro, but it is crazy that it goes down to 2 lanes.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Wasn't it supposed to take like 3 years for the 440 project to be completed?  It seems like they have accomplished a whole lot of work in just a few months. I don't use 440 as much as I used to, but the expansion is something it needed.

It still blows my mind that a city like Nashville has multiple sections on the interstate where it goes down to just 2 lanes. I get that additional lanes aren't going to solve all our problems, but bottlenecks like this are a killer for traffic. I don't know the numbers of how many commute up I24N from Murfreesboro, but it is crazy that it goes down to 2 lanes.

At the rate they're moving, I'll be surprised if it takes 3 full years. Even the bridge expansions seem to be moving along quickly compared to other projects I've seen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

It's definitely causing a bottle neck when the 2 lanes crisscrosses back and forth from I24 and I40  . If TDOT some how made an elevated highway/interstate that can bypass this mess then traffic might be some what better.  TDOT could expand the 2 lanes to 3 or 4, but from the looks of it, the cliffs are an obstacle .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Briley terminating existing scooter program and starting over

My paraphrase of Briley: "My goal with banning scooters is to put more cars on our downtown streets immediately.  The gridlock will make a safer environment for pedestrians who can no longer use scooters.  If you are a regular scooter user and live in Davidson county, my plea to you is please, please don't vote against me in the upcoming election."   :stop:

Edited by Mr_Bond
  • Like 4

Could be all the folks that use the scooters locally will now vote against him. That could be one impact. He may be in trouble now that the Police, Firefighters and Teachers unions have all endorsed JR Clemmons.

I really think there will be a runoff as no one will get enough votes.

1 hour ago, Mr_Bond said:

Briley: "My goal with banning scooters is to put more cars on our downtown streets immediately.  The gridlock will make a safer environment for pedestrians who can no longer use scooters.  If you are a regular scooter user and live in Davidson county, my plea to you is please, please don't vote against me in the upcoming election."   :stop:

Totally out of touch with the technological reality of the impact self driving cars, decentralized last mile options, and robotic delivery services will make on society over the coming decade.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

Totally out of touch with the technological reality of the impact self driving cars, decentralized last mile options, and robotic delivery services will make on society over the coming decade.

Sounds a bit like HAL (love your profile pic).  BTW, JK.  I'm actually in complete agreement with you.

18 hours ago, nativenashville said:

I agree with you on self driving cars making a huge impact, but I do feel like I heard about this change “over the coming decade” about 10 years ago.

also, aren’t scooters part of the technological reality of transportation? 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I agree with you on self driving cars making a huge impact, but I do feel like I heard about this change “over the coming decade” about 10 years ago.

also, aren’t scooters part of the technological reality of transportation? 

A decade ago smartphones were a niche but fast growing market. Zero cars had any sort of advanced driver assist/autopilot abilities. Flexible robotics built on kinematics models were early stages of research, mobile compute power was a spec of dust compared to today's mass-produced SoCs.

The world is already undergoing major trials in widely deployed decentralized systems, be it Uber, cryptocurrencies, e-scooters, and very soon various last mile delivery robots flooding our streets. Most of these concepts, let alone the various technology stacks 10 years ago were science fiction.

Couple things to research:
- Boston Dynamics Spot Mini production ramp
- Tesla Rideshare network
- Bitcoin/crypto payments
- Augmented Reality Cloud / global Spatial Computing infrastructures
- Amazon Flex Drivers

Very easy to look at these various adjacent and overlapping technology verticals to start charting potential scale pathways for new business models that seem like science fiction today, yet in 10 years time will be a average part of our daily lives and economy.

• Thanks 1

Many people think driverless trucks or technology like this platooning trucks will be in wide use before driverless cars are more widespread.

This is the Triangle Expressway NC 540 a toll road around Raleigh

https://www.wunc.org/post/volvo-tests-autonomous-driving-technology-triangle-expressway

https://www.ccjdigital.com/volvo-trucks-showcases-three-truck-platoon-on-north-carolina-highway/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Did any candidate say they would put transportation measures on the ballot if elected?

There's a Tennessean article about it though I don't have access to it.  The short version: Cooper and Clemmons 'get it' but Swain is bit more old school.  Someone else may have more details.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, titanhog said:

Self driving cars making a true impact is probably going to be longer than 10 years from now unless they have a major technology breakthrough on all-weather self-driving cars.  Have to imagine it will be a while before they crack the code on driving in horrible rain & ice & snow (unless they just decide not to drive in those weather conditions.)  

Agreed - there's no way cars tested in Arizona are ready for the ordinary afternoon thunderstorm downpours that we have here.

In addition, any such self-driving car would have to be tested on 440 (or equivalent construction hell) before I would be willing to ride in one . My car has some "driver assist technologies" (lane-keeping assist that nudges the steering wheel and automatic braking if a stopped car or obstacle is sensed in front). I disabled both from actually taking control of the car, but it still triggers a visual warning when they would have activated. When I drive on 440, both of these technologies are repeatedly fooled by rerouted lanes/multiple sets of lane markings or abrupt transitions in surface appearance. It terrifies me that if I were in a self-driving car, some of these cases would have led to the car plowing into the concrete barrier as the lanes shifted, or an abrupt stop from 45 MPH leading to me getting rear-ended. I'm sure the self-driving car reseachers are years ahead of what was packaged with my car (which is practically new), but this problem still seems quite formidable.  There was an article in Wired two years ago on this topic (https://www.wired.com/2017/02/self-driving-cars-cant-even-construction-zones/)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^I agree with your assessment.  I mean, I would love to be able to just hop in a car and let it take me wherever I want to go and not have to worry at all...but I think it will take years of almost perfect accident records for me to get close to trusting the tech.  We all know that there's danger in driving vehicles...and there's always a chance you'll be in an accident.  But I think the public can accept human error WAY easier that it can accept computer error when it comes to living or dying.  All it takes is the public hearing of a driverless car running headfirst into a concrete wall and killing the rider because it wasn't able to correctly "compute" the road conditions for a large percentage to say "nope...I'll trust myself before I trust a computer."

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

Agreed - there's no way cars tested in Arizona are ready for the ordinary afternoon thunderstorm downpours that we have here.

In addition, any such self-driving car would have to be tested on 440 (or equivalent construction hell) before I would be willing to ride in one . My car has some "driver assist technologies" (lane-keeping assist that nudges the steering wheel and automatic braking if a stopped car or obstacle is sensed in front). I disabled both from actually taking control of the car, but it still triggers a visual warning when they would have activated. When I drive on 440, both of these technologies are repeatedly fooled by rerouted lanes/multiple sets of lane markings or abrupt transitions in surface appearance. It terrifies me that if I were in a self-driving car, some of these cases would have led to the car plowing into the concrete barrier as the lanes shifted, or an abrupt stop from 45 MPH leading to me getting rear-ended. I'm sure the self-driving car reseachers are years ahead of what was packaged with my car (which is practically new), but this problem still seems quite formidable.  There was an article in Wired two years ago on this topic (https://www.wired.com/2017/02/self-driving-cars-cant-even-construction-zones/)

Not to mention self driving cars dodging scooters, pedestrians, idiot drivers, etc. Just adds another element to the mix of uncertainty that is driving.

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Many people think driverless trucks or technology like this platooning trucks will be in wide use before driverless cars are more widespread.

This is the Triangle Expressway NC 540 a toll road around Raleigh

https://www.wunc.org/post/volvo-tests-autonomous-driving-technology-triangle-expressway

https://www.ccjdigital.com/volvo-trucks-showcases-three-truck-platoon-on-north-carolina-highway/

Absolutely. This removes issue #1 - no human on board. When there is an incident, no choice has to be made by the computer whether to protect the life of the occupant or others.

The trucking industry is typically a good 10+ years ahead of the auto industry, from what I have seen. Also, replacing OTR would eliminate fatigue accidents, help with driver shortages, reduce delivery times, and of course save $$$ by removing the cost of on board professional CDL driver(s) 

• Like 3