The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

13 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Yeah, every time a scooter zips by me on a sidewalk I think about speed bumps, or maybe random trenches, or even those reverse spike thingies like at car rental agencies.     But then I think about all the pedestrians who would trip and fall over these solutions, and a bus goes by with Bart Durham on the side and I’m back to, we already have laws about this,  just enforce the ones we have, dammit.   

I love the scooters but when one passes me on the sidewalk, I start talking to myself, "Do not bump them.  Do not bump them.  Do not bump them."

Recently, the sidewalk riders are much slower and nicer than they were a few months ago.  Perhaps they're more aware that they're violating a scooter rule and the people around them don't like it.  If you can't ride a scooter according to the rules, don't ride a scooter.

Ok...crazy thought...but is GPS precise enough to make it where the moment you start riding a scooter on a sidewalk, the scooter shuts down?  I realize it would take the scooter company probably actually going into their system and mapping all of the sidewalks or something...but could this work?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBF1763 said:

Are we seriously suggesting hidden speed bumps for scooters or is this a joke?

I was definitely joking. More so to get the point across that simple measures like saying "don't do this", isn't going to stop people. The only ways to motivate people to stop doing something is to make it more difficult, or to take their money (aka fines)

• Like 2

Last weekend I would have been on board with some speed bumps. This is situation is beyond annoying in some areas.  Had three near misses on us last Friday and the third almost turned into an escalation beyond words (instigated by the scooter rider).

Frankly these things have no business on sidewalks and its disappointing that the city isn't doing more to stop it. Maybe a few innocent pedestrians who get slammed into and file lawsuits will ultimately force resolution.

Edited by glamdring269

Gotcha Mobility has decided to remove its scooters from Nashville, citing that they cannot keep up with the new rules being applied by Metro.  There are still 6 other brands on the streets (Bird, Lime, Spin, Uber's Jump, Lyft and Bolt). They have several weeks to show their commitment to making real changes to address ongoing safety concerns.

If not, the Metro Council has an option Aug. 20 to vote for a complete and full ban with legislation by council member Steve Glover. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/08/02/gotcha-mobility-takes-electric-scooters-off-nashville-streets/1899132001/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

If you like public transportation don’t ever Google about the street car companies and how the automobile makers bought them up and then ripped up the tracks/paved over and sold the rail cars off as scrap so more people would buy cars, you’ll get furious.

Sounds like the free market at work to me.  How could an economy based off quarterly profits go wrong?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Would that sting if Knoxville got transit before Nashville ?

Yes, it would sting badly, but I doubt that would happen. However, Knoxville already owns streetcars, which were purchased from San Diego a few years ago. They're ready for use if the city is willing to put forth the money.

2 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Yes, it would sting badly, but I doubt that would happen. However, Knoxville already owns streetcars, which were purchased from San Diego a few years ago. They're ready for use if the city is willing to put forth the money.

That would be perfect for Knoxville!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, PaulChinetti said:

If you've seen slower scooters, they have probably implemented the speed zones for various areas. 

They’ve definitely implemented speed zones. I’ve had trouble on Demonbreun between 9th and 3rd the last couple times I’ve used them. Also a limited portion of the pedestrian bridge is within a speed zone. Lyft (the primary one I use) has also implemented the time restrictions as well. They seem to be very committed to the new regulations. 

On 8/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, titanhog said:

Ok...crazy thought...but is GPS precise enough to make it where the moment you start riding a scooter on a sidewalk, the scooter shuts down?  I realize it would take the scooter company probably actually going into their system and mapping all of the sidewalks or something...but could this work?

I’ve been having these same thoughts. I thought I heard that the “geo-netting” could accurate to within 5’ because there was some talk about restrictions around Vanderbilt campus, such as their pedestrian bridge. 

• Like 1