The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Two different stories on metro Nashville’s traffic from Williamson and Marshall Counties:

A friend of mine who lives on the south side of Franklin started a new job downtown at Cummins Station several months ago. From her driveway to the parking lot is 25 miles, and includes 9 stop lights.  She was dreading that it would take more than an hour each way in commute time.  Turns out that she is averaging 40 minutes inbound (usually during the 7:30-8:15 PM window), and 35 minutes outbound (normally in the 5:45-6:30 PM window).  In fact, one day, she made it home in 28 minutes!  The longest it has taken either way was 1 hour, and that only happened once.  She says that from her former job on Carothers Parkway to her home (about 8 miles), the commute was often the SAME amount of time.

Another friend of mine lives in Lewisburg, and often travels to the Madison neighborhood to visit with his grandchildren. It is 72 miles, and includes 10 stop lights. He laments that 15 years ago he used to make the trip in an hour (methinks he might’ve been breaking some laws to do so).  Now, he grumbles that it takes 90 minutes.  That still seems like really good time to me cutting through the heart of a 2 million population metro to make that journey.  Honestly, I can’t think of ANY peer city where a similar undertaking would take less than 2 hours.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Isn't this upcoming weekend (Friday night thru Sunday) when I-65 is closed (detoured) at 440. 440 is closed at I-65 and Franklin Rd is closed from Berry to Franklin Rd for 440 bridge work? Major traffic nightmare for the alternate roads.

Correct.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2019/8/9/i-440-reconstruction-progress-update.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

That is some genius level planning on their part. Pilgrimage is this weekend down in Franklin. I'm sure those 20,000 people won't need to drive through this intersection. Yikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

That is some genius level planning on their part. Pilgrimage is this weekend down in Franklin. I'm sure those 20,000 people won't need to drive through this intersection. Yikes.

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

And you have the  Vandy/LSU game and a TSU home game 

8 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

More proof that that state of TN actively tries to sabotage the great city of Nashville.

If they are major traffic-generating events then TDOT should have added them to the weekend closure restrictions in the design-build RFP. There were already restrictions for Fan Fair, Titans games, the marathon, Vandy's and TSU's homecoming, and the NFL draft, in addition to the standard holiday restrictions (Easter, Memorial Day, July Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's). If you add all Vandy and TSU home games you get to the point where there are no eligible weekends for a five-month stretch to do this work.

• Like 4

There are probably a dozen ways to achieve this work without closing the roads for an entire weekend. This likely is the most cost effective method rather than least inconvenient one. 

That said, it’s not the end of the world. I just imagine if the people making this decision lived nearby, it would be handled differently.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

Add this in the mix.     A Global Climate Strike encouraging people in cities around the world to stage protests against climate change inaction.     A Nashville group is scheduling an event here for 6:30pm downtown on Friday.     TDOT closes 440 at 9pm, about the time all these people would be leaving downtown.   

image.png.4d50b1fca42139b3def2b891fc35057a.png

37 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Add this in the mix.     A Global Climate Strike encouraging people in cities around the world to stage protests against climate change inaction.     A Nashville group is scheduling an event here for 6:30pm downtown on Friday.     TDOT closes 440 at 9pm, about the time all these people would be leaving downtown.   

image.png.4d50b1fca42139b3def2b891fc35057a.png

They will all arrive on foot, so no traffic issues for them. Cars and fossils fuels BAD.

• Haha 4