The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

Cheap

Impactful

Traffic Improvements

Pick 2.

• Like 2

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/2019/09/parking-lot-urban-planning-transit-street-traffic-congestion/598504/

"A recent study found that the parking spaces required for shopping centers in Los Angeles increase the cost of building a shopping center by 67 percent if the parking is in an aboveground structure and by 93 percent if the parking is underground."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Mayor Cooper has picked Faye DiMassimo, a consultant with Deloitte, to serve as his senior adviser of transportation and infrastructure. DiMassimo has worked in the transportation industry for nearly 40 years, including six years as Cobb County (Georgia) director of transportation.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/10/08/heres-who-mayor-cooper-picked-to-tackle-nashvilles.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 1

19 hours ago, e-dub said:

Has anyone here read "Traffic" by Tom Vanderbilt? It was recommended by the host of a show I watch on YouTube and wondered if anyone here has thoughts on it.

I read it and I don't remember anything about it so I guess that says something. It may be of interest to someone else, but I suppose as a Traffic Engineer I didn't learn anything new.

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

They also didn’t want the wider sidewalks and that’s worked out pretty well.  Maybe they would be less against it now!?

On the one hand, I get where they are coming from. Anyone who leaves the building is potentially a lost customer. On the other hand, it drastically increases their sq footage and you would think that more people would come downtown, so I don’t fully get the opposition.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'm somewhat taken aback that SF enacted such a ban.  But then NY actually did something similar nearly two weeks ago on its Manhattan 14th Street crosstown route ─ the "M14".   Perhaps since SF is known to give deference  to grass-roots lobbyist groups, then it should be of no surprise to me, if NY set a recent precedent.  Toronto has been in a tug of war with this since it started a pilot close project on King Street in 2017.

The SF Market St. ban will be an interesting test to see just what can result with it being car-free, except on cross streets, of course, between the most congested portion between the Embarcadero and Octavia Blvd.  My experience with it during my most recent visit in June 2015 was nothing short of a "Squeeze Play".  Unlike Manhattan's 14th St. of cars and buses, Market hosts concurrent routes of electric trolley buses (ETBs) and streetcars, pretty much fixed-guideway vehicles, except for the fact that ETBs have some latitude to steer into and out of traffic at curbside, as well as around "mild" (narrow) obstructions.

IMG_0658.thumb.JPG.3bfdef45c314d1a5db436119223160c5.JPG

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.3bb76ee943d5f9f44eac8194c01daaff.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1