The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

Having just visited, I can vouch for this.

When I was last there in February/early March, the conditions were so disgusting that I refused to bring my walking shoes home. After several weeks on those filth laden sidewalks they were NOT going back into my suitcase. Glad I had worn “travel day” shoes that had not been out on the dirty streets of San Francisco! (I did leave the other shoes, not in bad shape at all, in a plastic bag-marked with size-out in front of the hotel. I’m sure somebody snatched them up pretty quickly.)

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, Dale said:

All those overhead wires are U-G-L-Y.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:27 AM, bigeasy said:

True, but the city is filthy so it is a good complement.

Ha!  You think THat's ugly, eh?  Then see this!
(what I rode in Seattle ─ King County Metro ─ over10 years ago and again 4 years ago ─ Madison Street, and 8th and Pine.

Where the ETB (electric trolley bus) meets the streetcar ─ Route divergence

2119948959_TrolleywiresBroadwayMadisonSeattle.thumb.jpg.908382e48eb7a1286bbcdb336a9b3843.jpg

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.f94aef275daccee2a2744e487b16929e.JPG

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

On 10/18/2019 at 10:57 PM, rookzie said:

Detroit's QLine streetcar on Woodward Ave. is a contemporary example of battery-electric streetcars, which run primarily on stored power, but stop at in-line charging stations periodically.  They actually are dual-mode vehicles, engineered to run either on battery or on overhead wire while charging, similar to Dayton's (Greater Dayton RTA) new dual-mode battery-electric trolley buses...

IMG_8352.thumb.JPG.dba937110be33b74fce95e023b3cc19c.JPG

To me this seems like the best solution for everything from buses to trolleys to trams. Stick only enough batteries in them to go a few miles, then outfit the biggest stop every mile or so with an overhead line to charge it and have them pause for a minute to top up. Doesn't require stringing overhead lines throughout the city, allows you to get away with much smaller batteries in the rolling stock (making them lighter and cheaper), gets all the benefit of quiet emission-free transport...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Mayor Cooper should hire you, Rookzie, as a consultant for any transit he'd like to develop there. 

Thanks, MLBrum.  But since Mayor Cooper has picked Faye DiMassimo, who worked with Cobb County, Ga., I might not have a snowball's chance, if I tried.  Ya never know though....:rolleyes:

Edited by rookzie
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, nashvylle said:

NYC is banning cars on certain roads, and seeing success. Will not happen in Nashville, but perhaps in the distant future?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-city-car-ban-34th-42nd-streets-14th-street-busway-corey-johnson-20191021-p6etls67endqfow5lwu35vr4rm-story.html

I had mentioned the closing of 14th Street Manhattan for the NYMTA M14 crosstown bus, when PaulChinetti posted on San Francisco's approval of a ban on cars along part of Market Street.

New York also is about to implement congestion pricing.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-congestion-pricing-transcore-20191020-ylmhdoulqbc7biqsy3tde65gaq-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2l87TYDQ2_qXV684GCHjyr-hg90jiXGj-mp5MyIieCGsL1gFG37sL5Wr0

NYC’s congestion pricing program moves forward

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

I mean it seems like they already close down Broadway to make it pedestrians only a good five to ten times a year anyway, depending on how good the Predators are that season haha... seems to me that Broadway would be an ideal place for that type of a switch over.  To be honest, I really don't see the need for cars there anyway, at least at certain times.  If you're on Broadway on a Saturday night, a walk along Broadway is probably your destination and ultimate goal anyway, so what good does it do to bring cars into the equation?  Beale Street in Memphis has been this way for years and it seems to be working for them.  More room for pedestrians would be better for the businesses there too I would think since the pedestrians are your customers, not someone in a car on the street.  However, like Paul alluded to, I think it'd be better just to do the shut down after business hours on weekdays, or perhaps just weekend nights, as cutting off those through streets during the day could cause a disruption.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3