The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 11/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, Dale said:

Whenever I cite Columbus as a city to learn from I get, “But, Nashville unique challenges.” As far as I can tell, Nashville’s unique challenges include: (1) taxpayers who say “Nope!” (2) and, as commonly acknowledged here, a bad bus system. 

Columbus has managed to build an award-winning bus system with comparatively little outlay.  Seems like it’s worth a look.

I agree that Columbus' award-winning bus system is worth a look, too - but the one guy on this forum who seems to know both Nashville and Columbus best responded like 6 posts above to say that (3) Columbus' public transit is still "really, really poor" and (4/5) the terrains and the grid systems of Nashville and Columbu differ significantly and probably require different transit system solutions as a result.

That said, it's always worth taking a look, so I'm with you there - but I'll defer to the guy who seems to know the areas in question best until I have better info to work from since it's been over a decade since I personally was last in Columbus.  When was the last time you were in Nashville or Columbus, Dale - or is your opinion here based mostly on the awards/other things you've read? 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:57 PM, dmillsphoto said:

COLUMBUS, OHIO. 

Seriously, though. We have a couple hundred thousand more residents more than Nashville and a third the traffic problems. But, there's a huge difference - we have a fairly flat and logic grid system that expands north to south, I-270 is a full ring with intersections at 71, 70, and 670 running across, and 315 to the west side of town (basically, our 440). We also have smart-lanes on 670 now, which is an E-W stretch about 8 miles long that transepts the city. Public transit, however, is still really, really poor, though.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, PHofKS said:

I could care less what Columbus Ohio's growth rate is because it has absolutely nothing to do with Nashville's transportation issues. Nashville is Nashville and has unique growth management issues that very few if any cities have.  It has a ridiculously large tourist population that clogs city streets with scooters, pedal taverns, tour busses, confused out of town automobile drivers, and people with the notion that they are entitled to park or load cars anywhere they please. Nashville might pick up a few ideas from various cities, but Nashville has to come up with it's own unique solutions.

P.S And....this is the all new city Nashville is adding to it's current skyline in the next few years. This is why it needs rapid transit and now. (Rising and serious proposals with a few omissions.)

48983687571_93be94ce16_b.jpg

The tourist traffic is a very large part of our congestion problem. There were 14.6 million of them last year and the numbers have been growing every year. Next time you are stopped in traffic look at the license tags around you and notice how many are out-of-state.

• Like 2

Developers at Lilium in Germany have prototypes built for what could be the first flying taxis. They hope to hav a fleet in NYC within 5 years that could offer a 10 minute trip from Manhattan to JFK airport in 10 minutes for $70.  It claims to be fast, efficient, and low noise.  There are at least 20 other companies competing to be first.  The 4 wings on the Lilium jet rotate so it can take off and land like a helicopter.  It features a 36 foot wingspan, and can travel 190 mph, with 4 passengers and a pilot. The hope is to build them at several hundred thousand dollars apiece.

More behind NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/11/06/inside-the-high-stakes-race-to-build-the-world-s.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.19.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.20.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.20.26 AM.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AronG said:

If Cooper wants to be rational, our next steps shouldn't be hard to figure out. (1) Dedicated bus lanes on the 5 major arterials (can do dedicated queue hops just outside of downtown where we don't need a full lane). (2) Commit to run buses every 10 or 15 minutes. (3) Upzone the areas around the bus stops and use the property tax money to make much better bus stops.

Virtually everyone in transportation agrees that this is how you build transit ridership, and it doesn't cost that much to implement. The problem is growing a pair to stand up to the status quo backlash on car lanes. Do we have enough resolve now to get the Amp 2 over the hump? Of course, there's also the state legislature, but it seems like the Governor may be primed to help with that.

I think you are absolutely correct, and would add that we would also need a few solid crosstown options. The third biggest problem we will run into (after backlash for removing either a couple of lanes of traffic or street parking and the state re: dedicated lanes) is enforcement. I think the best way to handle this is with cameras (both fixed cameras at intersections and the bus-mounted cameras that they are using in NYC).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AronG said:

If Cooper wants to be rational, our next steps shouldn't be hard to figure out. (1) Dedicated bus lanes on the 5 major arterials (can do dedicated queue hops just outside of downtown where we don't need a full lane). (2) Commit to run buses every 10 or 15 minutes. (3) Upzone the areas around the bus stops and use the property tax money to make much better bus stops.

Virtually everyone in transportation agrees that this is how you build transit ridership, and it doesn't cost that much to implement. The problem is growing a pair to stand up to the status quo backlash on car lanes. Do we have enough resolve now to get the Amp 2 over the hump? Of course, there's also the state legislature, but it seems like the Governor may be primed to help with that.

Only problem is the State controls the right of ways and those roads and not Metro. The legislature passed a law saying Metro cant do that several years ago when Dean wanted to do that with the Amp. The state has total control over these roads and nothing can be done without their say.

Dickerson Road aka US Rt. 41 continues on as Nolensville

Gallatin Rd aka US  Rt. 31 continues on as 8th Ave S an Franklin Rd.

Ellington Pkwy aka US Rt. 31 E

West End Broadway aka US Rt. 70 continues on as Hermitage Ave and Lebanon Rd.

• Like 1

Just now, smeagolsfree said:

Only problem is the State controls the right of ways and those roads and not Metro. The legislature passed a law saying Metro cant do that several years ago when Dean wanted to do that with the Amp. The state has total control over these roads and nothing can be done without their say.

Dickerson Road aka US Rt. 41 continues on as Nolensville

Gallatin Rd aka US  Rt. 31 continues on as 8th Ave S an Franklin Rd.

Ellington Pkwy aka US Rt. 31 E

West End Broadway aka US Rt. 70 continues on as Hermitage Ave and Lebanon Rd.

Right, but I'm saying that Lee is interested in making something happen; this is substantive and wouldn't cost much; and (most importantly) it can now be framed as the conservative alternative to the liberal light rail plan. If he gets behind it, TDOT will have no problem with it at all.

• Like 1

Bus pooling during rush hour.

Buy fancy buses. Take a poll to find out the neighborhoods all the Bridgestone, Amazon, Alliance Bernstein, SmileDirect, etc. workers commute from, and have buses that take them directly to those neighborhoods (no stops in between) from 5pm - 7pm.

For example, if 40% of those surveyed commute from Bellevue, metro should provide enough buses to take those downtown workers directly to a designate drop off area in Bellevue.  

No one would take a metro bus from downtown, stop 40 times, and finally get to Bellevue in two or 3 hours. 

I live in Chattanooga and it frustrates me to no end that I-24 to Nashville has not changed in 30 years. I know that NC is similar but TN is the worst when it comes to the back-woods politicians who insist on building a 4-lane expressway to nowhere whenever the subject of expanding highways in congested/urban areas comes up. Compounding the problem is that TDOT is a 'pay as you go' (no bonds) agency. IMHO that hampers their long-term planning. I think TDOT overall is an utter embarrassment to our state. Their construction projects last FOREVERRRRRRRR!

44 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the photo someone posted of the skyline from the 1970s or 1980s had the same highway configuration as it does today.  

Yeah... that was me. Utterly absurd! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I live in Chattanooga and it frustrates me to no end that I-24 to Nashville has not changed in 30 years. I know that NC is similar but TN is the worst when it comes to the back-woods politicians who insist on building a 4-lane expressway to nowhere whenever the subject of expanding highways in congested/urban areas comes up. Compounding the problem is that TDOT is a 'pay as you go' (no bonds) agency. IMHO that hampers their long-term planning. I think TDOT overall is an utter embarrassment to our state. Their construction projects last FOREVERRRRRRRR!

Yeah... that was me. Utterly absurd! 

NC has some of that too (building freeways to nowhere) however NC changed their funding mechanism a few years back and the big cities are getting more and more projects.  Usually state capitals have better road systems than other cities in the state but not the case in Tennessee it seems.    Wow my other suggestion would be  statewide bond for transportation NC uses that to leverage money.  Did not know you could not do that in TN.   Something needs to change or you will kill off the golden goose. 

As for Briley Parkway not all of it is freeway from what I remember.  Maybe if you cant or wont complete 840 then designate one of the interstates coming through downtown as the truck route and improve it with some truck only lanes (Georgia is doing that south of Atlanta)   Tennessee needs to think outside of the box and look at what is going on in Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Dallas etc. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Thanks for the input @KJHburg, glad you enjoyed your stay!  Those are all solid points which as you probably expected have been discussed ad nauseum here.  I agree with you on everything except for completing I-840 North.  No doubt, truck traffic in the middle of town is an issue as it definitely contributes to jams, but surely there are solutions that don't involve spending billions building a massive new expressway that would slice through some beautiful wilderness and promote more sprawl just so a few trucks are taken off downtown expressways.  Nashville actually does have a north-south bypass already in Briley Parkway... perhaps truck traffic should be funneled onto it?

Briley isn’t a complete bypass for either 65 or 24(the freeway portion ends after 40)so it doesn’t work well as a N/S bypass either. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rolly said:

Too bad the I-65 bypass can't be finished via 840.   The path along SR109 around Gallatin from Portland to Lebanon would be a great route. That way not just I-40, but I-65 would each have a full bypass around Nashville. 

TN840--north.png

I’m thinking this why the state is upgrading 109 as part of the Improve Act. They are widening it to 4 lanes, and building a bypass around Portland. 

• Like 1