The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 minute ago, smeagolsfree said:

My guess is that will be funded by the Airport authority and the MCC, and there could be various funding measures from Metro but I doubt it, and the State, and the Feds.

I think you are correct. And this would not need a referendum. If the line from Centennial happens, I suspect Vanderbilt would be willing to kick in, and perhaps some others adjacent to the line (Amazon?). The rest could be funded by tourist taxes (hotel, rental car) and a special sales tax increase downtown). With all of the vitriol against tourists, I think a message of “make the tourists pay for transit” could be quite popular and it could fit neatly into Mayor Cooper’s brand.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2020 at 9:04 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

I’m more comfortable getting in an Uber than a taxi. There is comfort in the digital documentation of the transaction and the driver’s identification.

Hehe. I'm the exact opposite. The idea of riding with a random person in their vehicle makes me uncomfortable. With a taxi you're getting a professional (at least in theory).

Maybe someone posted this before but I have not seen this.  A 74 page report on why the transit vote failed in Nashville and what other cities can learn about it.   So many mistakes made that has become a textbook example of what not to do evidently. 

from the Transit Center

https://transitcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/nashville_report_8x10_RGB_interactive.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the solution is to start very modestly.  Then it allows people to see the benefits of transit and more will seek it.  Charlotte started with one line 9 miles to the south then added another 10 just a few years ago.    That is over a 15 year period.  Now plans are underway for more but it has much more widespread support than in the past.  I think from the get go this plan was way too ambitious and should have started modestly but from reading this report there were other issues in the background. However business as usual will not work as the city keeps getting much more congested. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yeah we have definitely talked about the modest approach but AMP didn't go. Maybe it will now that everywhere is more congested. Who knows, I doubt Cooper's ability to get anything done though, as doing things cost money and he doesn't want to spend money on anything but neighborhoods or whatever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah we have definitely talked about the modest approach but AMP didn't go. Maybe it will now that everywhere is more congested. Who knows, I doubt Cooper's ability to get anything done though, as doing things cost money and he doesn't want to spend money on anything but neighborhoods or whatever. 

I concede that this is how I feel as well.   You can only put so many shades of eyeliner and lipstick on a pig.   I've gotten so frustrated that I now just SMDH and walk away.

And yes, KJHburg is correct.  In this day and age, that's the only way that Kansas City (MO) finally got off to a start, after previous more ambitious efforts were thwarted ─ even though it currently only is in the form of a modern streetcar.   The KC Streetcar has gained popularity and has prepared for an extension, the Main Street extension to UMKC.  The planning for this extension has not been without bumps, and one application for an FTA grant failed to meet a 2019 deadline.  But political will and teamwork among committed partners has forged a momentous movement towards meeting the requirements of a resubmitted application by the annual deadline for the competitive federal program.  The projected total cost of the project has increased by 10% in less than 12 months, but the local funding was increased by 8%, approved recently by the recently created Main Street Rail Transportation Development District (TDD) of 2018, in the form of a 1-cent sales tax.

KC already had created the Downtown Transportation Development District in 2012, to fund the development of the initial 2-mile streetcar start-up.  Overall it has taken STARTING LITTLE, along with legal wrangling to counter opposition and to finally get it off the ground in KC.  Charlotte seems to have performed better in this respect, but it also had a few elements of advantage,  unlike what KC had.  Nashville simply has Zilch in place to even begin to kindle for small.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

The Amp I equivalent to the MLS stadium. It wasnt so much the BRT on dedicated lanes, but the fact it was on West End along Lee beamans automotive and certain west end neighborhoods- ruffled the wrong feathers. 
Had the amp been on Charlotte, it would have passed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

The Amp I equivalent to the MLS stadium. It wasnt so much the BRT on dedicated lanes, but the fact it was on West End along Lee beamans automotive and certain west end neighborhoods- ruffled the wrong feathers. 
Had the amp been on Charlotte, it would have passed. 

At that time that’s where it needed to go. Charlotte wasn’t nearly what it is today. 

On 1/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, LA_TN said:

Why rapid transit to BNA? Because you have a plane to catch!! If you are downtown (local or tourist), would you want to chance your luck on downtown traffic and I-40? I have nearly missed 2 flights from Nashville; both due to a wreck on the road

When I visit other cities, I always take the train/etc. I'm pretty sure most people will do the same here. Reliable rapid transit would be less than $5 vs Uber/taxi $15 minimum. Do you enjoy getting into cars with strangers?

Also, imagine how nice it would be driving on I-40 without taxis backing up traffic by driving 52 mph - in the left lane! 

Rapid transit to our airport should be, in theory, a no-brainer. 

Executing it with current infrastructure in place is an obstacle to overcome- and that's disregarding public opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

Perhaps I am mis-remembering or giving Lee Beaman too much credit but as I recall it was largely the combination of his extreme agitating and whiny rich far West-Enders that got state-level Republicans into it. That sort of opposition might not be as much of an issue for projects in other parts of town, though it also seems possible to me that opposition to all mass transit has become an unwritten plank of the Republican party.

• Like 3