The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

19 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Is that Lamar Alexander's farm that will be bisected by the extension of Buckner Road? 

I think so? Except it won't be farmland for much longer. The project description states: "Both the Interchange and the widening improvements on Buckner Road will be needed to accommodate anticipated growth in north Spring Hill, namely the 2660 Buckner Project slated to be constructed on 775 acres of the property known as "Alexander Farms" along I-65 and Buckner Road. Without the Interchange, the appropriate transportation infrastructure would not be in place to support the office component of this major mixed-use development."

According to a Nashville Post article from 2018: "Preliminary development plans for Alexander Farm envision 3.9 million square feet of Class A office space, nearly 1.3 million square feet of retail and restaurant space, 400 hotel rooms and 2,926 residential units (via single-family houses, cottages, townhomes and multi-family buildings) over the next 20 years."

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nashvillain said:

https://www.wired.com/story/cities-without-cars-san-francisco-jeff-tumlin/

It's a great read if you've got some time on your hands...

Awesome read. I'm typically not the biggest fan of San Fran from the sheer fact of taxes and cost of living, but as someone who has never lived there I know this is a biased opinion. From what I read of Tumlin though, I really like that guy haha. There was definitely some pointed finger pointing in there that I felt was a touch unnecessary, but the article as a whole is well done. Octavia is San Francisco's version of the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston (or the other way around depending on how you look at it) where the elevated I-93 was torn down in favor of the Big Dig Tunnel. Amazing what it has done for the city. 

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

I plan on reading but haven’t yet. However can you tell me if the article contemplates making city streets still accessible for needed deliveries?

The article does nothing to talk to deliveries or vehicles of that sort. But why do city streets have to be planned for every shop or store to get a delivery right at its front door? Smaller streets where these bigger vehicles are banned from could have an offloading zone close by that would allow larger delivery vehicles to stop offload and deliver and move on. So the driver has to walk a little bit to make the delivery? It's a hell of a lot better to prioritize the many over the single or few. It goes against many thoughts that have been engrained in city planning for decades, but it's for the betterment of people rather than the ease of vehicle and business.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Multiples of those probably aren't a great solution for a dense urban area since when they get too complex it's kind of like plopping a miniature highway interchange into the middle of a neighborhood... but I am a big believer in roundabouts as a traffic control solution, so I'd love to see Nashville build more of them, and perhaps even some of these double beasts a bit further out!

We could use some of those on the interstates.  Can you imagine? :D

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, titanhog said:

We could use some of those on the interstates.  Can you imagine? :D

I know you're joking but I've been thinking about this for a while.  I know for some reason most here hate interstates but they're the necessary evil till we get our flying cars or teleporting.  Neither is coming anytime soon.  Think about roundabouting the downtown loop?  What if you reconfigure the ramps, rip out the retaining walls and made it all one direction running counter clock wise?  I know a lot of y'all think adding lanes doesn't do anything but I call BS on that, especially removing bottle necks.  I believe Nashville's biggest problem with its interstate system is that you have 8,10 or 12-lane freeways all converge and battle necking onto a 6-lane downtown loop that hasn't been updated since there existence in the 60's.  By doing this you get 6 to 7 lanes on the DT loop, no right-of-way purchasing, no widening necessary and I don't get it but I hear a lot of people say Nashville's interstates are confusing and I think it would simplify it even more.  I think Nashville's interstates are simple but one of my geek sides is studying maps so I might not be the best at confirming if your system is simple or confusing.  There's only one way to go and you exit off the loop to where you have to get off.  I don't think re-configuring ramps would cost more than widening and doubling it's width (which is what is needed) but I could be wrong but I know it would be much cheaper than the double decking bad idea.  The only area I see as a problem would be the I-24 bridge over the Cumberland, places like the grass medians at the I-40/I-65 and I-40/I-24 south of DT and I-65/I-24 North of DT get narrower and more valuable land back to the city for development. When the widening started on the interstates in Nashville in the early 90's they should have started with the DT loop and worked there way out.  Instead they started out, worked there way in just a little and worked further and further out.  This too in my opinion encouraged more sprawl.  The only thru-route you may add miles by doing this would be I-40W, and any Tennessean's old enough will remember I-65 used to follow on the east side of the loop and the current I-65 north of downtown between I-40 and I-24 used to be I-265 so no added miles there for I-65N.  This conversation I know doesn't belong on Circle South but I quoted someone above who brought up something off subject I've been thinking about.

33 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

I know you're joking but I've been thinking about this for a while.  I know for some reason most here hate interstates but they're the necessary evil till we get our flying cars or teleporting.  Neither is coming anytime soon.  Think about roundabouting the downtown loop?  What if you reconfigure the ramps, rip out the retaining walls and made it all one direction running counter clock wise?  I know a lot of y'all think adding lanes doesn't do anything but I call BS on that, especially removing bottle necks.  I believe Nashville's biggest problem with its interstate system is that you have 8,10 or 12-lane freeways all converge and battle necking onto a 6-lane downtown loop that hasn't been updated since its existence in the 60's.  By doing this you get 6 to 7 lanes on the DT loop, no right-of-way purchasing, no widening necessary and I don't get it but I hear a lot of people say Nashville's interstates are confusing and I think it would simplify it even more.  I think Nashville's interstates are simple but one of my geek sides is studying maps so I might not be the best at confirming if your system is simple or confusing.  There's only one way to go and you exit off the loop to where you have to get off.  I don't think re-configuring ramps would cost more than widening and doubling it's width (which is what is needed) but I could be wrong but I know it would be much cheaper than the double decking bad idea.  The only area I see as a problem would be the I-24 bridge over the Cumberland, places like the grass medians at the I-40/I-65 and I-40/I-24 south of DT and I-65/I-24 North of DT get narrower and more valuable land back to the city for development. Elington (spl) Prkwy also needs incorporated into the loop rather my plan or as it stands today.  When the widening started on the interstates in Nashville in the early 90's they should have started with the DT loop and worked there way out.  Instead they started out, worked there way in just a little and worked further and further out.  This too in my opinion encouraged more sprawl.  The only thru-route you may add miles by doing this would be I-24E,  I-40W maybe, and any Tennessean's old enough will remember I-65 used to follow on the east side of the loop and the current I-65 north of downtown between I-40 and I-24 used to be I-265 so no added miles there for I-65N.  This conversation I know doesn't belong on Circle South but I quoted someone above who brought up something off subject I've been thinking about.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1