The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 6/3/2020 at 12:37 PM, Nashvillain said:

The point is that what is going on around the country and in Nashville isn't just about police violence against black Americans, but systemic racism. It was racist policy makers and institutions that tore up black businesses and homes to put in the interstate. Disinvestment, redlining and cratering of property values followed. Instead of outreach, we sent in the police. 37208 has the highest incarceration rate in the nation.  (https://www.tennessean.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennessean.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F2020%2F02%2F06%2Fnashville-37208-zip-code-incarceration-rate%2F4650216002%2F)

A plaque? That's justice. They already put up pictures of black civic and cultural leaders UNDER the overpass

Which Nashville protest did you attend?

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Nashville's WeGo Public Transit has been awarded a $55.1 million grant as part of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

According to a news release from the Federal Transit Administration, the funds will be used for operating, preventive maintenance and administrative expenses to support transit services during the Covid-19 emergency.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/06/09/nashville-awarded-55-1m-transit-grant.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

I'm pretty sure this is being used as a stop gap measure to cover the budget cuts proposed in this year's budget. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rookzie! I always read every word of your posts. And always learn so much. I was born in 1970, so I don't know the collective mindset until around 1980. No doubt, the Interstate highways were devastating to many (predominantly minority) neighborhoods, but weren't Interstates also looked at in the 1950s-1970s as a positive?  We obviously can see now the destruction they brought, but taking things in context, maybe they weren't intended to be the destructive force they actually were. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Wow! I can feel your emotions just as if it happened yesterday. Truly, in a city like Nashville (and many others) the expressways became a way to pass through (or in/out) quickly.  Thanks for that insiders' description of so much that affected so many in a relatively short time.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, MLBrumby said:

One of Nashville's biggest transportation disgraces is the 'junction' of Ellington and I-24, just east of downtown. In my Vandy Engineering alumni publication (Solutions) delivered today, I snapped a pic of the section on "Redesign of Nashville's Spaghetti Junction" (although I've never heard it referred to as such).  Anyway, here's a pic of the rendering. I'll post a pic of the article later. 

I was actually speaking with Eric Hoke over at NCDC about this project awhile back and they were very excited for what the Vandy students were working on. The term "Spaghetti Junction" is certainly a familiar term within the planning world as many cities have these monstrosities. 

• Like 2